Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arnie on kung fu "Those are tricks for very puny small girlymen"

I'm thinking of that scene in GoldMember with Fat B@stard and the wires!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Errr.....I think Bolo or whoever is/was a body builder. I also seem to remember reading that he studied Tai Chi?

As you were...

I'm an Arnie fan and would enjoy seeing him do a bbj T3 fight. I think watching a Cyborg put another one in a arm bar and hydraulic fluid shoot out would be great.
    For traditional kung fu go to http://www.taishingpekkwar.com

4. Thumbs up

"body builders cant do kung fu.thats fact i read somewhere"
    This might make it´s way into my signature,far too hilarious.

"Arnie was asked if he'd do any matrix-style martial arts in Terminator 3. "
    I suppose if they wrap those wires around him like they did for all the others...

For pot stirring,Arnold has lots of respect for martial arts and I have even heard of him being referred to as some kind of a honorary master of TKD (as self-contradictory as it may sound)
    He might have trained in karate too but I´m not quite sure.

"okay, so WAS Bruce Lee a body builder?"
    He did build some though.

If this is supposed to indicate that he cannot do kung-fu because of his build,this would also serve to indicate that kf is the art of looking funny as some naysayers would put it.
    The sunset´s setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Arnie will be back.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

I'm back already

LOL!

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Cho

depends how you define 'bodybuilder'.
    If you think 'bodybuilding' means getting as huge as possible, then Bruce Lee was not a bodybuilder.

If it means building the body for an intended purpose , in Bruce's case - fighting, then yes he definately was.
    "Try to use that one legged crane stance when 50 sumo wrestlers are all around you, and then your going to get sumoed." - Ralek

Let's bear in mind that for T3 they had to use CG to show Arnie running at speed convincingly.
    As for the heart thing, he had a valve replacement, not a CABG, so exercise shouldn't be a problem.
    Little guys? How many times must I complain about people making judgements on MAs based on limited knowledge and stereotypes?
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Smile

Obviously theres a difference between saying that MA move look better on film when a smaller-than-bodybuilder man does it and saying that MA moves are better/more effective when done by smaller men.

But its an interesting question anyway, and one thats constantly being argued... "does bodybuilding help a Martial Artist?"

Personally, I think it does, but not perhaps in the way that its done too often... bulking is good for show [which is what most ppl seem to want.. thats an effect from the bodybuilder contests], while strength and flexibility is better for MAs- and thats what I think Saint Bruce Lee was concentrating on, if you need that to convince...
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

If memory serves....

...Arnie posed in BB doing some Okinawan weapons. Mostly he just held some kama and flexed, but I seem to remember that he espoused the practice of the arts back then - all kobudo stuff amdn maybe some kendo. And he still runs his Arnie classic which has a big MA section.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Originally posted by ZIM
    ...Personally, I think it does, but not perhaps in the way that its done too often... bulking is good for show [which is what most ppl seem to want.. thats an effect from the bodybuilder contests], while strength and flexibility is better for MAs- and thats what I think Saint Bruce Lee was concentrating on, if you need that to convince...
    I seem to remember reading about how serious weightlifters (i.e. powerlifters) were both insanely fast and insanely flexible. The same with Sumo wrestlers. I know it's not the same as body building, but I thought I'd just throw it out there for discussion.
    "Oh LORD, please spare our eyes"- Traditional Prayer before an English Singlestick Match

Bah

I am 6'5" 240lbs and I am very fast and agile. Of course I am a freak of nature but that doesnt mean that someone out there cant do it. I think he was speaking of his own personal talent.
    "If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
    - William G. McAdoo

Against stupidity, even the Gods contend in vain...

The kung fu ascethetic as we see it in movies is derived from Chinese Opera acrobatics, which is geared towards a very different body type than Arnold's. His also into his tough guy schtick, which is why he uses the word "puny." Remember he comes from the bodybuilding set.

I'm pretty sure Arn is closer to 5'6" than 6'5", anyway. Remember in "Twins" how he seemed a lot bigger but not much taller than Danny Devito?

The idea that being strong prevents you from being flexible or an optimal martial artist is beyond laughable. Whether getting strong by using freeweights and so on constitutes "body building" (however you choose to define that) is a completely different issue.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.