Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pads

Hi FITD,

We use pads for punching practise - they are useful for students to get a feeling of penetration whan they punch , and to practise the structure behind that punch. They are also useful for practising stepping punch at 45 degree angles.

Most importantly, punching a movingtarget cleanly and with energy is vital.

JMHO

Regards, Stuart
    Ip Ching Ving Tsun in South Wales - www.swanseavingtsun.com

Agreed. The various pads I've worked with basically train different aspects of WC/Fighting. I think the focus mitts might be the best for testing your punching form - it will only "pop" if you hit it right with penetration and looseness. The Airsheild is great as StuartM said for training footwork, covering distance, hitting while moving. I would add that it is a good test too to see if you can uproot the holder with your front or side kick. The heavy bag is good for conditioning and power development, you can still working on moving around it. The wallbag gives you a stationary target and checks your alignment.

All pads are good for relieving stress.

oops! And how could I forget the Thai pads - great way to train round kicks, knees, and elbows - even if you don't favor the roundhouse kick, it's still a killer workout on your quads....

Fa Jing

...also as an after-thought you need to know HOW to hit pads, some people hurt their wrists if they do not know how to punch correctly, this is the sort of thing you perfect through pads.

I can't remember having that problem but I can remember it improved my distancing on a moving target a lot (which was rubbish to begin with!)