Thread: PTP Update

PTP Update

I know some of you guys are using the PTP workouts for your training. I have been using them as well now for just over one cycle. I was curious as to how everybody that is using the workout has responded, and if some people have modified it some for thier individual needs.

I have had fantastic progress on this method, but have only done it for just over one long cycle. I have also modified it and do pull ups, dumbell curls, dumbell one arm lifts, and...... shrugs until I get my deadlift heavy. I will drop the shrugs when the deadlift gets over 250. Anway, due to the additions, I do not go everyday. Usually 3 times a week.

My only concern at this time is the holding breath concept to build tension. I am not too convinced that this is a good thing. What do you guys think? What is the big concern with holding breath? Do medical people think this could cause an anurism (sp?)?

Did you watch CSI Miami last night or something?

I just started my first PTP cycle saturday. I don't have a problem with holding my breath for 3-5 seconds, but I am not a doctor either.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

I did PTP with Bench, Deads, and Pullups. I had great results till I tweaked my back in a heavy dead. (I should always pay attention to my form arg...).

Kumkwat - What exactly did you do to your back, and did it ever get better? And...most important. What did you do that caused this to happen. Did you twist with the load or something, or jerk?

3-5 seconds seem ok holding breath to me as well, but everybody keeps talking about it like it is the plague. Just would like to know what the deal is to be safe.

My guess would be that some people, in attempt to hold their breath, may actually be straining themselves. There is quite a difference.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

I experienced excellent results with PTP. Went from 200#-300#+ on my deadlift. (Don't know how much I could have done, all I have is 300#) Just now on my second cycle of bench, gained 30#'s on my first cycle. Can't do anything right now, horse kicked both my hands and I tweaked my back deadlifting. I originally hurt my low back deadlifting because I was so out of whack. Too much time in a vehicle puts my spine out of alignment. I have no problem with the breath thing, I think it's advised against because it raises the blood pressure. So if you have high blood pressure to begin with don't hold your breath.

I would advise against wearing a belt when lifting. Unless you live life while wearing it you're setting yourself up for a fall. If you can't lift heavy weight without it... start light and work up.

CD Lee, try to keep PTP at one exercise per muscle group: Bench, Squat, and pullups, or Bench, Deadlift, and pullups is best in my opinion. Why dumbell curls with PTP? Do you want to be able to curl a lot of weight? It's not supposed to make your biceps bigger.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

. Why dumbell curls with PTP? Do you want to be able to curl a lot of weight? It's not supposed to make your biceps bigger.
    Ironfist - Well...ok. Completely honest answer? I am getting a kick out of being able to do strict curls with a 45 lb. dumbell, while everybody else, including some of these really huge muscle guys are 'swinging' 25-35 lb. dumbells with terrible form and straining. Plus, I was able yesterday to slowly and strictly curl a 50 lb. dumbell for a couple of reps. Hey, I have never ever been able to curl with those weights much less with good form. And...it feels awesome.

Also, I want to be able to workout with a 40-50 lb. dumbell because almost 'everybody' fights for the 25-35 lb. bells! Drives me crazy. Think about it. Why get stuck where everybody else in the gym is?

So, I don't do any other isolation groups. In fact, I only do one set of 5 on the curls because I am not really trying to use them in the program, just getting the bicepts a little stronger to beat the dumbell pack at the rack. Frankly, I should also maybe lose the one armed shoulder press too. But once again, I can suddenly lift a lot more and I have always had weaker shoulders relative to my other muscle groups. But also, I have noticed all the stabalizing muscles are being engaged on the one arm press and that feels good too.

I am NOT bodybuilding or tying to get huge. But I can say this. My muscles are getting a lot harder. That is density, not tensness. I still practice relaxation and standing practice to stay very low tension for internal arts.

Pavel addresses the western(american) taboo against holding your breath for 3-5 seconds in nearly everyone of his books. He also says if you are unsure, then let it out slowly as you do the movement. Its really not a big deal unless something is already wrong with you.

strike!

I like the breathe-it-out-slowly method myself, for power movements.

ditto. something about doing something difficult while maintaining balance, form and breath means it's extra-difficult. and difficulty is the main point, right?
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

well there was a lot of things that I didn't do. One was that I guess I was pretty tired. Two was that I didn't keep my abs tight and stuff. It was just shaky form, that's all. I don't know if I twisted thought. But I use overhead grip on deads not the alternating grip so I'm assuming I didn't twist. I didn't hurt my back that much but I definately needed rest. I stopped deads on my cycle and continued the pullups and bench a little.

Holding your breath?

When are you supposed to hold your breath... and why?

Anyone care to elaborate?

hold your breath during the lift. For instance during the squat, when you're ready to go down, tense up everything and hold your breath, go down and up. Exhale.

Hmm, I've done that naturally before hearing it from the Party.