Thread: Tong Long Baht Bo Kuen/PM 8 Step Form

Tong Long Baht Bo Kuen/PM 8 Step Form

According to Chui Luen,Sigung it was the first form taught in HK 7Star.
    How many of you train or know of this form?
    It is also known as the work form or work horse form.
    ________
    mercedes-benz m119 engine history
    ________
    IOLITE VAPORIZER REVIEW
    Last edited by seung ga faat; 04-29-2011 at 01:26 AM.

SGF,

I have not heard of a form called "Tong Long Baht Bo Kuen" in the WHF HK7* lineage. In the CCK Tai Chi Praying Mantis lineage, there is a form known as "Baht Dai Ma Bo" which literally translates as "8 Big Horse Step". But ma bo refers to horse-riding stance and further, stances in general. So the name can be more correctly translated as "8 Stances". It consists of the 8 basic stances found in the lineage and is used for stance training. As such, it is usually the first form taught to new students. Perhaps the form you speak of is similar and the name was abbreviated to just "8 Stances".

YM

Smile With all due respects...

Here is a CCM form list from Sifu Carl Albright's site. Out of the 70 form, and there are still 10 or more so, there are these one that have Bo (steps) in the title.

3. Bung Bo Kuen – Collapse Step Form
    42. Tong Long Bo Suen – Mantis Whirling Step
    60. Tong Long Ba Gwa Bo – 8 Diagram Step (longest form in the system)
    61. Joy Bo Tong Long – Drunken Step Mantis
    70. Tong Long Chut sing Bo

There is a rather well know expression which goes like this:

Baat Bo Gone Seem - chasing [and catching] cicada within 8 steps.

This is a romantic and poetic expression possibly inspired by a famous tale in the Romance of 3 Kingdoms. Cao Cao's eldest son wanted to eliminate his youngest brother, who was a scholar and poet, for good. So he order his brother to furnish a poem within 7 steps to convince him to drop the elimination. The brother managed to use the bean stalks cooking beans as analogy and created one of the most brillant poems ever in Chinese literature. He was able to convince his older brother to not execute him.
    This tale reflects the sharp mind, skills and courage of the poet in getting himself out of predicament.

In Kung Fu, especially in PM, this becames finishing off a formidalbe opponent (the cicada) in a live and death match within 8 steps which can be interpreted as in the 8 different directions, 8 moves, etc... I wouldn't even be surprise that a special move goes by that name. Sky is the limit when it comes to imagination. But then we will have to ask how practical this train of thought really is?

I think there might just be a form that goes under that name. I mean anyone could have created it because of the expression. But it is authentic PM? That is beyond me.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Re: Was replaced by Kung Lik

Originally posted by seung ga faat
    According to my Sifu, Baht bo was replaced by Kung Lik because of it's length. Baht bo has over 100 movements and not many Classmates of mine waanted to learn such a long form at the beginning of their
    training.
    So are you saying beginner students had a choice as to what they want and don't want to learn?
    Last edited by Young Mantis; 05-01-2003 at 10:50 PM.

accidently deleted SGF Post

"According to my Sifu, Baht bo was replaced by Kung Lik because of it's length. Baht bo has over 100 movements and not many Classmates of mine waanted to learn such a long form at the beginning of their
    training."- was the post in its entirety.

My appolgies once again. (What I get for moding 2 forums at once)

Best Wishes to all,
    BTL
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

Post Re: Tong Long Baht Bo Kuen/PM 8 Step Form

Originally posted by seung ga faat
    According to Chui Luen,Sigung it was the first form taught in HK 7Star.
    How many of you train or know of this form?
    It is also known as the work form or work horse form.

I can't read Cantonese, only read Manderine.

The first form should be taught in 8 step is called 7 hands.

Smile Hi Paul

I agree that 7 hands (I got this from Tainan Mantis) is an excellent entry level form. Yet, don't be fool by this seemingly simple form. It is much much more than meets the eyes. There is no doubt in my mind that this form contains lots of great stuff even in just a few moves. Personally, I think this could be the DNA of Mantis (Meihwa lineages mainly) as we know it. The sequence(s) of this form appears in forms such as Beng Bu, Jit Gun (a CCK TCPM form), Lanjie and Bazhou as variations.

Warm regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Let me answer YM

When I joined my Sifu's School, Baht Bo was taught as a drill using only a small portion of the form.
    At that time I didn't know that it was a complete and lengthy form so, I learned Kung Lik according to my Teacher's order of form instruction.
    When I learned about the form; I begged to be taught the form and after I learned Bung bo kuen Dar Gong Kuen,& Sahp Baht Sao Kuen I was allowed to learn the form. This form was not a form that was taught to many and I was privileged to learn it.
    Baht bo trains Stancework Bodywork legwork Monkey ground fighting and 2 levels of circle walking ect....... It is a very demanding form and I am glad I learned it when I was 25.
    ________
    vaporizer wholesaler
    ________
    AVANDIA LAWSUIT INFORMATION

SGF,

Well, not that you really answered any of the questions.

Your explanation of this form keeps changing. First, it was taught as the first form in HK7*. Then it was a form that was taught but was replaced by kung lik kuen because beginner students did not want to learn such a long form. Now you say it was only partially taught as a drill and only a privileged few learned the entire set. And even then only after you had already learned Bung Bo, Daw Ghong, Sup Baht Sau were you allowed to learn it. This hardly describes a form that was once taught as the first form.

So who actually ever taught this form other than your Sifu to you? As BTL asked, when and by who was it replaced by kung lik kuen? By CCM? Chiu Luen? Your Sifu?

Your explanation also implies that it was commonly taught in HK7* at one time since it was the first form. Are there any other CCM lineage descendants that have heard of this form. I am pretty sure it was not in the WHF HK 7* at any time nor a form passed down by Law Gwong Yuk. Do you know the origins of this form? It does not appear in any other CCM line form lists.

I have suggested this in the past but I'll say it again, perhaps when referring to your lineage, CCM or Chiu Luen HK7* would be better since CCM HK7* and WHF HK7* is different.

YM

Thanks for answering my question all.

YM you don't know the form. There are Forms I don't
    know. But, when your teacher instructs you in a particular form you accept it as part of the training and you are happy to receive it or not.
    The fact that I was on of a few to learn it at my Sifu's Kwoon does not mean the few was a small number it means it was smaller than the number of overall students taught by my Sifu.
    Tong Long Baht Bo Kuen was the first 7 Star form taught initially but, overtime it was replaced by Kung Lik according to Chiu Luen Sigung & Cheung Wah Sifu.How much time it took before it was replaced?
    I never asked.
    The initial post was to find others who knew the form and I guess you all answered my question.
    ________
    cb900f
    ________
    Side effects of prilosec

Smile Re: Hi Paul

Originally posted by mantis108
    I agree that 7 hands (I got this from Tainan Mantis) is an excellent entry level form. Yet, don't be fool by this seemingly simple form. It is much much more than meets the eyes. There is no doubt in my mind that this form contains lots of great stuff even in just a few moves. Personally, I think this could be the DNA of Mantis (Meihwa lineages mainly) as we know it. The sequence(s) of this form appears in forms such as Beng Bu, Jit Gun (a CCK TCPM form), Lanjie and Bazhou as variations.

Warm regards

Mantis108
    Very true. Although the proper representive boxing form of 8 step is the 6-chaptered Zhai Yao itself, there is a very important reason for the 7 hands to be the very first form to teach. It is like the root of all forms that followed to grow out of.

If I might...

I must say, that as a novice, being involved in the learning of 7 hands was a recent benchmark for me, and a kind of portal step into seeing change in my martial arts life. Though simple, and brief, there are moments where previous, non-PM techniques that I had been invovled in learning, seem to blend then pale to the very taut and compact ideas contained in the few steps. It was a small achievement, but a meaningful one none the less.
    Listen on..... listen on...... This is the truth of it..... fighting leads to killing ... killing gets to waring and that was d**n near the death of us all....... look at us now.... busted up and everyone talking about hard rain...... but we've learned by the dust of 'em all....... Bartertowns learned !!! Now when 2 men get to fighting it happens here..... and it finishes here........ 2 men enter.....1 man leaves..... And right now I got 2 men....... 2 men with a gut full of fear...... Ladies and Gentlemen........ boys and girls....... DYIN' TIMES HERE!!!!!!!!!