Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you learn from a maniac?

Would you learn from a maniac?

Just to get it in perspective.

Would you study with someone who was prone to fits of aggresiveness?

Would you study with someone who constantly and consistently made the point of "no pain no gain" and then proceeded to strike willing volunteers with force?

Or how about the guy who thinks that violence is always the answer and solution to problems?

Could you learn from this person?

Do you think a tempered steel sword is better than pig iron?

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

A guy or gal like you described is dangerous. I don't think that person be such a good teacher, either. It seems like he/she would be so concerned with showing his/her own fighting/tough prowess, that nothing would be taught--you could only absorb (punches, kicks, etc.).

So, I would say, nope, not my thing.
    Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Re: Would you learn from a maniac?

Originally posted by Kung Lek

Would you study with someone who was prone to fits of aggresiveness?

I don't, but I would. My main Economics instructor in college was pretty much known as a drunk and a womanizer. But wow, could he explain economic cycles and their contributing factors. I went to him to learn economics, not morals

Would you study with someone who constantly and consistently made the point of "no pain no gain" and then proceeded to strike willing volunteers with force?

I think this is a necesary part of training. The types of force developed in the CMA are different than boxing style punches. And there's more than one way to deliver force. If you want to be able to do it, you have to feel it.

Or how about the guy who thinks that violence is always the answer and solution to problems?

Violence is never the solution. Sometimes though, it is unfortunately the only option.
    [/B]

Now maybe we can back to such on topic posts as George W Bush and the Power Rangers
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

No, I would not take one of your classes Kung Lek....

Seriously, you need to learn what you can and take from whatever experiences you have, but I thought that was rhetorical here by now
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

If I lived in a town with two schools, and one was like the above described, and the other was a "when attacker throws a right overhand punch, you step back, trap the fist in between your chest.......dam.n look at that beautiful lady bug, let's catch it" type school, I would defintely choose the former.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

If you want to be able to do it, you have to feel it.
    I don't really agree with the sentiment of this statement when it is used so broadly.

I don't have to taste dog crap to know I'm not gonna like it.

I also don't believe you have to have your teeth knocked out to learn how to knock teeth out.

My point is, Kung Fu is Time consuming to get halfway good at. The slowness of the process is what makes it a success on the path.

A short temper, and aggressive nature are not quality traits imo of anyone from Kungfu teacher to chem prof. It does not fit well with a safe learning environment.

The school of hard knocks has no instructors with the exception of the reality of the situation.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

My point is, Kung Fu is Time consuming to get halfway good at. The slowness of the process is what makes it a success on the path.
    That me be okay for some, possibly even me. But if someone is wanting to learn how to defend themselves, it does them no good to study an art that takes a many years to actually use if they get killed or paralyzed after a year of training by another person who has fought for real several times.

A short temper, and aggressive nature are not quality traits imo of anyone from Kungfu teacher to chem prof. It does not fit well with a safe learning environment.
    They are usually the traits of an attacker. If you cannot meet the attacker with an equal to greater amount of violence you will lose.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

Originally posted by Kung Lek

I don't really agree with the sentiment of this statement when it is used so broadly.

I don't have to taste dog crap to know I'm not gonna like it.

I also don't believe you have to have your teeth knocked out to learn how to knock teeth out.

Well, you need to apply a little common sense to the statement. The things you are describing, you don't even need the CMA for.

You DO have to taste short power before you can learn to issue it.

You DO need to be knocked on your @ss by stance alone before you can understand why we train stance

You DO need to run into a fist before you can understand how yielding and leading work in a fighting situation

You do not have to get hit in the face to understand that getting hit in the face will most likely hurt.

As an addendum.

A total flake is not exactly the best person to learn martial arts from either.

ladybug catching can develop you hand eye coordination don't you know?

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

They make for good eating when mixed with Jack Daniel's grilling sauce. Come to think of it everything tastes good with JD grilling sauce.

They are usually the traits of an attacker. If you cannot meet the attacker with an equal to greater amount of violence you will lose.
    This is a common misconception of a situational scenario.

There are a hundred ways to neutralize the situation without ever striking.

Let's also not forget that your attacker is quite nervous to begin with, thereby clouding any ability they may have versus your acquired skill through training.

Self defense is not the whole point of "Kung Fu", it is there, but it is not the totality of the meaning.

Basic self defence cannot be learned in a short period of time. You require practice time+ learning time in order to understand even basic self defence. Most people don't get the fundaments of it in anything less than a year or so and that's an accelerated program!

Any body who wants to master themselves will not do so in a short period of time. It takes years of practice, but the results are wholly worth it.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I don't, but I would. My main Economics instructor in college was pretty much known as a drunk and a womanizer. But wow, could he explain economic cycles and their contributing factors. I went to him to learn economics, not morals
    Yeah, but would you ask this guy for relationship advice? Your relationship with your economics instructor is out of context because his behavior is not related to the subject matter; where as a martial arts instructor's aggressiveness would be related to the subject matter he is teaching.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Of course not Masterkiller. But I also would never think to ask my teacher what I should do if someone insults me in a bar.

Basic self defence cannot be learned in a short period of time.
    Gotta disagree there. I guess it depends on what you define as a short period of time, which to me is one year or less. If after one year, you are in no better position to defend yourself, you are wasting time.

There are a hundred ways to neutralize the situation without ever striking.
    I am referring to a situation has gone into the action stage. I don't hug people who are trying to take my head off. Nor am I worried about what damage I may cause them...at that time.

Back to the subject of being hit.

One of the guiding philosophies in my class is that we get hit harder every class than we will in the street. Therefore, we have nothing to fear in a fight. I think the Chinese word is something like "Ning". It translates to the ability to endure suffering.

It works. Fa Jing and I were sparring in my back yard one day and as I went in for a lifting throw, he clocked me between the shoulder blades a few times with downward elbow strikes. I didn't even feel it. (Of course Fa Jing did find my weak spot, but I'm sure that info can stay a secret just between us. Right Keith?

I asked my teacher about this and he replied, "Well Larry, you're used to being thrown and hit hard in class. Why do you think that would bother you?"

It may sound brutal, but it works. And no, you don't get hit from day one. You get built up to it for about a year.