Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is Femon Ong?

Michael Jacobs Guest

Who is Femon Ong?

My current instructor learned Longfist from a Sifu by the name of Femon Ong. Has any one heard of him or by chance know a lineage for this particular person?

MonkeySlap Too Guest
    Wasn't he a Southern Shaolin guy that lived in Ohio? I thought he was one of John Allen's teachers...Not sure tho...

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

Dale Dugas Guest

Fee Mon Ong

I have heard his name mentioned several times. He lived in Barbeton , Ohio and taught a style something like 5 Animal Shaolin. Im not 100% on this as it was handed to me from another.

Ive heard some great stories abot demos he did. He was a very strong teacher from what his students have said. Most of his students teach under Kwan Yin Do.

Hope this helps.

In Boston,

Dale Dugas

Drunken1 Guest
    Feeman Ong was one of Green Dragon Studio's John Allens teachers, as well as one of my senior Lung Ying/ Northern Shaolin Training Brothers. Legendary in Ohio. From Stories I've heard, It got so that at tournaments he would show up, no one would want to fight him, he'd be given 1st place, and then everyone else would fight for second. Had a Broad knowledge of different Kung Fu Systems, not just Southern 5 animal. Used to fight in tourneys with Tai Chi. Judging from my Si Hings pedigree and that of John Allens, Feeman Ong was the real deal.

chessboxer Guest
    Greetings,

In these tournaments were the allowed to make contact? From some articles i have read there was a time of transition in tournaments. From real heavy contact to the sport point competions you see at some tournaments. Did he really use tai chi? I also remember that CMA stylist were look at as they are good in forms, but didnt far well in sparring...until several CMA stylist started winning and getting recognized. I do know as you have stated that he did teach members of green dragon studios. Any info on this and Mr Ong? Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Johnny

Michael Jacobs Guest

Thanks for the input

Thank you to all those who replied, I dont suppose anyone has a photo of Feeman or knows his lineage off hand? I am trying to put together a photographic lineage chart for WU TANG Martial Art Association of Ohio. Although Feeman is not from wu tan styles as far as I know, my current instructor did train under him and he will be in the chart. Good men and women should be remembered. Thanks

Pilgrim Guest

Master Ong

Master Ong was a gift to the northern Ohio Chinese martial art community. He learned from Master Kao to sheng/Gao dao sheng,Master Lau/Lowand Master Ma. Master Kao is in his 80's now and has knee surgury but he remains the leader of one of the better Long Fist Praying Mantis kung fu schools in Taiwan. If you ever wanted to contact the school it is at Wan-Hua District, Ch'ing Nien Road, Lane68,no. 30 B-1. Taipai, Taiwan R.O.C.Other info on Master ong may be seen on the Mantis Cave website.Cleveland /Akron area has a lot of great martial artists who are students of Master Ong,like Dave Wetzel, Bob Krueger,Stephen Ong.Master Ong taught a lot of material that some people feel is made up, I don't know about that but if you believe in the teachings and do them you'll see yourself advance in skills.

Drunken1 Guest
    Master Kao's stance exercises were some of the hardest I've ever experienced, I still wince, and it's been 10 years.....................

RAF Guest
    Dear Michael Jacobs:

I arrived in Akron years after Femon Ong had died but knew a few of his students.

In the Sunday, October 15, 1972, Akron Beacon Journal the article is entitled PEACEFUL MAN WITH A LETHAL ART, by Mickey Porter has his story and pictures included. The article says he studied under:

1) Liu Pie-Chung of Taiwan

According to the article, in 1972 Ong won the PRESIDENT'S CUP KAUSUT TOURNAMENT, the President being Chiang Kai-shek. The author states that Femon Ong was born in China, graduated high school in 1952, and went back and forth to Taiwan and China.

There was no relation with the Wu Tan Martial Arts Development Center of Taiwan. However, Master Kao was primarily a praying mantis teacher and was friends with Liu Yun Qiao and Tony Yang. Tony often ate with him and they taught near each other in the park in Taiwan. In the 1970s, Inside Kung Fu or Black Belt carried an article on Master Kao. I have seen the article but do not have a copy.

A friend of mine in his mid 70s (Taekwando) knew of Femon Ong and indicated he was the real deal. He is somewhat of a legend here in the Cleveland/Akron/Canton area and as you might guess, legends often become larger than life. Some hate him some love him, you know, so what else is new. I do not know his son personally, but I understand he continues to teach in Barberton.

I hope this helps.

Pilgrim Guest

Drunken1 RAF, Ong's /Kao-tao-sheng forms

I'm curious about the history of Master Kao's forms, which were definately part of Master Ong's curriculum. For those who have contributed to this discussion, please ask your sifu's for some history.When it comes to spelling,I'm probably making mistakes and there is also the problem of cantonese verse mandarin sounds and and having an English speaker attempting to put those sounds into words using the alphabet.
    For example, some schools teach forms such as Shao fu yin and gok my gin,which may have a Cantonese pronunciation to them. I have heard there is a form called Xiao Hu Yan(Small Tiger Swallow) which is the first part of a 3 section form called Hu Yan Quan.
    Master Kao taught 2 staff forms-PanLong Gwun(Coiling Dragon Staff) and Feng Mo Gwun(Crazy Demon Staff). The spear forms were Xiao Liuhe Qiang(Small 6 Harmony Spear) and Da Liuhe Qiang(Big 6 Harmony Spear). Are these similar in name to the forms taught in the Akron/Barberton area?
    There are also forms such as the small body and the big body( small frame, big frame?)The 9 times with it's lots of screaming loud tones and requiring herbs. Any info on these.
    So it seems Master Kao's forms are of northen shaolin origin but from a different lineage from Wong Jack Man/Wing Lam/Master Ku(?).
    All errors if any are mine and I'd like to know more.

RAF Guest
    Pilgrim:

I cannot speak about Femon Ong's lineage. Some of it looks like Northern long fist and the others I have seen looks like Southern forms.

All I know about Master Kao is that he taught 7 star praying mantis (primarily). I know the feng mo guen (from Tony Yang) so that sounds about right. Xiao Hu Yan, seems to be a combination of praying mantis and longfist we also teach Si Lu Ben Da (can't remember the translation, 4 roads something). Most of our mantis is from Master Su Yu Zhang (Tony's Uncle taught him meihua tanglang quan at an early age and GM Liu sent him to his gong fu brother for Liuhe tanglang quan).

I also heard that Femon Ong's proper name was Femon Huang. Supposedly his other relatives spell it that way.

Femon Ong taught literally thousands of people in the Cleveland/Akron/Canton area and there are many stories about him, both good and bad. I knew one of his top students who was an underground fighter and he strongly believed in his material. I know others who feel they never got his gold after so many years.

Who can say?

RAF Guest
    My mistake regarding Master Kao. He taught Shuai Shou Tanglang Quan (Slapping hand praying mantis) and long fist. He learned somethings from Han Ching Tang.

He was a very nice person. Friendly, good heart.

Tainan Mantis Guest

Gao Dao Sheng

His book's Si Lu Beng Da and Hsiao Hu Yen list his teacher as Wang Song Ting. A famous teacher from China who came to Taiwan in 1949

Pilgrim Guest

Feeman Ong/Small and Big Body/Iron Vest

Do any of you who train in the Small Body (maybe also called small frame) , can you ask your sifu of the histiry of this exercise. Also what about the Big Body(big frame)? Have you used herbs while training in the beginning? Do you know what any of the herbs are? Green Dragon calls the small body iron vest.

RAF Guest
    In the 1980s, prior to my formal association with Tony Yang, I met 3 different students who did the small body 3 different ways. One required no meat and no sex for, hmmmm, 90 days, I think? Another did not do this at all. Another guy did different exercises than the first guy and did them in a completely different tempo that made more sense than the guy doing the Vege/Sex limitations.

As a result of this confusion, I decided not to train in the system. I think that the only person who could answer your question is Steven Ong whom I do not know personally. Sometimes students have a tendency to take what their teachers give them and add their own spin on to it. Its bad because you never know what is correct and what is not correct