Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taiji is boring to watch

Taiji is boring to watch

Kind of a silly topic but thought i would see what others thought anyway.

We do a lot of demo's at my school and one thing i cant help noticing. Taiji is *really* boring to watch by and large.

I mean i practice the art and i downloaded a clip of a guy doing the same form i practice and i was bored about 2mins in.

I try to watch the other schools TC masters as well and even when i can see great still i still cant help thinking - boring.

Its the opposite to actualy practice, to practice feels wonderfull but to watch just feels... yeah you know what im gonna say, boring.

Is this just me?
    Am i really that impatient i cant even handle watching other people performing the art i actualy practice? Bagua i can happily watch all day.

Also if others do demo's of Taiji how do you get around this aspect?

Old people seem to be the opposite, they seem to be able to watch it for hours on end.

Try watching the video on Erle's site where he trys to discribe in painfully boring detail the long Yang form. Its quite possibly the most mindblowingly fustrating thing ive ever tried to sit though. I couldnt even watch the first few postures without tearing my hair out.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

I agree with you dude
    If you know of any good Sanshou movies on the web, let me know through PM !

It is boring to watch the forms done poorly.

I had a Chen style teacher who had it. It being internal strength, peng jing, neijia, etc. I could see it. I could sit and watch a long time as he did the form. It was fascinating to watch. I would try to figure out where the power was coming from and how the whole body moved to get a movement.

I learned a great deal from watching him.

Now, bad taiji people are totally different. The standard tai chi class that I have seen is boring to watch. There is no real power to be seen and the whole body isn't moving to power the movements. Bad taiji is not fun to watch. The more experienced and "higher" level the person, the less fun it is to watch bad taiji.

~ Eric Putkonen

I agree with Eric there above.

When done with skill Taijiquan is interesting to watch.

Of course, the only good Taiji I've seen has been Chen-style, which might be more aesthetically pleasing anyway because of the twining and spiralling. I'm probably blatantly wrong in that assumption or then I just find spiralling, twining and endless circles fascinating.
    "Once you get deeper into the study of Kung Fu you will realise that lineage and insulting others become more important than actual skill and fighting ability." -- Tai'ji Monkey

"Eh, IMO if you're bittching about what other people are doing instead of having intelligent (or stupid) conversation about kung fu or what your favorite beer is, you're spending too much time exploring your feminine side." -- Meat Shake

What's Elton John got to do with this?
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

Hmmm

Obviously they are not Masters then. When you watch a genuine Master do a form there is nothing quite like it to watch. You learn volumes than someone merely doing an emprty shell of a form. I think you ought to join a decent Taiji school.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

i always thought that
    good martial arts were like olives.
    they look gross, they taste 'bad' but u can cultivate a taste for them and understand the intracacies of flavour.

bad martial arts are like cheap wine, they taste great and get you drunk quick but leave you with a bad hangover - no one ever cultivated a taste for cheap wine.

(i may have paraphrased all this from the Tao of JKD)

most things which are really good, look bad. and vice versa. it could be this, or i could just be a fool.
    Ecce nunc patiemur philosphantem nobis asinum?

what transcends the buddha and the law? Cakes.

"Practice is better than Art, because your practice will suffice without art, while the art means nothing without practice." - Hanko Doebringer, 14th century

I've seen lots of folks performing forms from all sorts of styles that I've found boring to watch. This includes taijiquan, other CMA and non-CMA.

I think this says more about me than it does the form being done or the person doing the form. Maybe I just don't like forms much.... this is the honest truth.

I do tend to find forms performed by skilled people more interesting than those done by lesser skilled people. I expect that a large part of the reason is that I'm intent on learning something from them.

I think the problem is not good or bad Tai Ji, but that we are a TV generation accustomed to watch adrenalin action.

Personally, I think it's really up to the individual watching the form. I love to watch taiji and I can sit and watch it for hours on end. If I were to just watch for the sake of watching, I'd probably get bored quick, but I tend to watch for the sake of learning/analyzing.

I think if one were to watch and try to analyze the movement of the hips, look for whole-body integration and how the moves flow from one to the next,etc etc, then taiji can be very interesting and very fun to watch.

But like everyone else said, bad taiji is horrible to watch! That I can agree with

Agree with everyone so far.

Good taiji is a pleasure to watch, bad taiji (ergo my own) Aaaaargghhh.

But I think the same can be said for anything may it be music, paintings, etc.

Re: Taiji is boring to watch

Originally posted by jon
    Its the opposite to actualy practice, to practice feels wonderfull but to watch just feels... yeah you know what im gonna say, boring.

That is the way I am with golf.
    Ed Boyd

Cool jon

I am with you but Tai Chi Chuan should never be boring. Understand that this Master(?) learned the form from some one and that's what/all he knows. Being able to know the differences makes you a better practitioner. Have a good week.
    xiaotiema

Im finding it a 'little' strange that everyone keeps assuming im only exposed to poor Tai Chi.
    Ive seen *many* perform and many with great skill, i do enjoy watching profiencent players much more than i like watching poor ones but then again thats true of any endevour and should not even really be a point of debate.

The other thing i find odd about this line of thinking is if i came on here and said such and such was a poor performer do you think they can fight? It would probarly be the same people telling me that i would have to touch there hands to know.

I realise it was a bit of a harsh post but i was partly just trying to prompt for responses. Im a little dissapointed that there is such ability to jump to poor conclusions in this thread.

I think its sad that Taijiquan is often performed 'so' slowly and usualy without power.

One of the things my sifu loves to do in performances is to start a set very slowly and pausing briefly at the extension of each movement showing off the postures. Then after a couple of minutes of this he will suddenly get faster and faster untill he is doing the set at a fast rate of speed with the skipping footwork and fajing thrown in.

Anyway thanks for the comments so far but please no more rubbish about how i must not be watching good Taiji.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

Another thing i wanted to touch on brought up by wujimon

"I think if one were to watch and try to analyze the movement of the hips, look for whole-body integration and how the moves flow from one to the next,etc etc, then taiji can be very interesting and very fun to watch."
    * This is a great point and hits into the heart of what i see as the issue.
    Please bear in mind im talking about public performances here.

Im sure this is what most of us do and have a grand time watching, the thing im worried about is the members of the general public.
    We run a 'martial' Taiji school and its very hard to convince members of the general public (who know nothing about martial arts other than what they have seen in the media) that your a martial arts school when your standing there all limp moving at a rate of one posture per five mintues and never exerting any overt or obvious force.

I often perticipate at demonstrations in which multiple styles perform. You should see how quickly people dissapear when someone starts doing a Taiji form.

My usual trick is to demonstrate a part of the form at standard slow speed.
    Then show an element of it in slow motion with a partner, then switch it up to full speed.
    Then i usualy like to finish with some free form combat drills so i get my partner to basicaly just do what he wants and i try to work with what he gives me.

By and large this approch works well and for the most part people cotton on pretty quickly to how your applying the form.

Still there is not always time for such elaborate stuff and often there is just enough time to get a two minutes set out. So what do you do now? Slow and steady and risk having no one belief your actualy teaching combat? Only combat and then have people not even realise that what they just saw was strait out of a form?

Its perplexing

- Huang Kai Vun