Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are MA really useful for Self Defense?

I agree with the sentiment SD training is often neglected or not taught at all in martial arts - instead most of the focus is on combative skills.

Some arts/teachers might teach environmental considerations, or preparation for combat in situations you are aware of potential conflict at hand though. Personally, I don't think awareness need compared with paranoia though - we might consider that this same awareness of others in daily life is also known as consideration, with both being forms of a similar consciousness.

Sing Fu.

I have been taught some awareness techniques and methods.
    Like with the physical side on the mental side a lot of "habits" and "patterns" have to be unlearned and re-wired.

It is actually scary how much we "ignore" and mislabel of what our senses tell us, a lot of this is partly due to the massive amount of information that our senses receive in modern life.

Again relaxation and calmness play a big factor here.

Originally posted by sing fu
    I agree with the sentiment SD training is often neglected or not taught at all in martial arts - instead most of the focus is on combative skills.

Some arts/teachers might teach environmental considerations, or preparation for combat in situations you are aware of potential conflict at hand though. Personally, I don't think awareness need compared with paranoia though - we might consider that this same awareness of others in daily life is also known as consideration, with both being forms of a similar consciousness.
    The reason I used the term paranoia was with respect to the idea of defending yourself from a drive-by or a sniper attack. If you were to prepare yourself for that kind of eventuality outside of a war situation, you would probably be considered paranoid
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Originally posted by joedoe
    The reason I used the term paranoia was with respect to the idea of defending yourself from a drive-by or a sniper attack. If you were to prepare yourself for that kind of eventuality outside of a war situation, you would probably be considered paranoid
    Not if there is a high possibility of it actually happening.
    BTW, I was talking about a drive-by slashing, no guns or any other form of firearm involved.

Cheers.

Originally posted by Laughing Cow

Not if there is a high possibility of it actually happening.
    BTW, I was talking about a drive-by slashing, no guns or any other form of firearm involved.

Cheers.
    That's why I mentioned the war scenario
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Haha - agreed Joedoe. Not much chance of it happening, but you should still train your awareness. Hope you'll excuse my twisting of your example there for my own illustration.

I think awareness and consideration are some of the gifts martial arts offers. I once asked one teacher if awareness could be maintained even during moments of intimacy. He acknowledged it was.

We were also talking about sudden attacks, as well as muggings etc weren't we! Should physical/verbal situational set ups (such as approaches by potential muggers, rapists etc) be taught to students?

Laughing Cow, are you still in the big smoke?

Originally posted by sing fu
    Laughing Cow, are you still in the big smoke?
    Yep, still here. No plans of shifting domicile for the next few years.

Yes they are if they are delivered in that context.

For instance, break out several techniques and practice them in keeping with the ideas of scenarios of self defence.

example: sitting in a chair being attacked from the side, the front, from behind.

example: a confined space with a larger attacker.

and well, you can come up with a lot of scenarios where you feel your art would be most compromised by the situation itself and maybe even the geography.

Once you know where the weakness is, you can begin to make it stronger through practice.

So, to answer the first question. Martial "arts" are indeed highly useful in bringing yourself to being better able to defend yourself.

You have to approach and learn iwth the right spirit and not be too worried about how you look kicking, or if you can beat your opponent at sparring and all that. Cut away all the grist and your own preconceptions and you will learn faster.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

9. Thumbs up IMO

You learn "Self-Defense" in order to counter "Fighting".
    If this makes sense.
    The sunset´s setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

As rogue stated I think the physical combatives side as one part of the entire package. I also believe that if a person is to consider themselves complete in self defense training in a physical sense then they should look at and have some training in all the elements that can be used in force. From less than lethal-oc spray to impact weapons- to lethal measurments such as firearms training and knives.

Even if you do not own or wish to carry a weapon it does not hurt to know how one works and by doing so you will get a better grasp on how to defend against it.
    Regards

Size, confidence, and awareness are more important than MA, IMO.

Well Ford, what do you do when you are by nature small.

Confidence and awareness can be had by all and if nothing else are enhanced through martial arts practice.

I don't agree that size always wins.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I think a lot of MA schools attempt to teach self defense, but do it an a very unrealistic fashion.

For example, learning to defend against a lapel grab where the attacker just walks up, grabs your shirt, and stands there, vs. the attacker who grabs you with full intent, shoving you backwards and getting ready to clock you with his other hand. If your self defense practice involves situations more like the second than the first, you're ahead of the game.

Fighting and SD

I'm with Laughing Cow on this one.

I can only speak for myself, but really what I am learning is how to fight, not how to defend myself vs an assault or carjacking (etc.). This doesn't really bother me, either.

Self defence is such a vast and complex area that its hard to even talk about it because there are so many different situations, scenarios and exceptions to rules.

There is some crossover, of course - knowing how to fight MAY help you in some SD situations. Of course, it may also play against you and make you statistically more likely to get in trouble, for instance if you try to interfere in an assault or a brawl, you may end up in a SD situation unwittingly.

So overall, martial arts can improve your self defence skills, but this effect is probably fairly minimal.

The best self defence training.....

Get rich.
    Yeah thats MR. Sleazy to you!

Smile

I'm not exactly sure why, but this strikes me as a little silly...

Ok, here it is: it seems the topic divvies SD and "combat" up, and alot of you are saying that MAs don't really focus on 'awareness' and 'prevention' or whatever.

Now, it's VERY simple to study that, if thats what you want. Find yourself the *skinniest, ugliest, geekiest, NERD* who lives in most inhospitable part of your own city and ASK him 'How the heck have YOU lived so LONG?'

There's your sifu...

edit: actually, I guess if you did that and were hangin' out with him regularly, you'd learn about "combat" too.
    Last edited by ZIM; 05-06-2003 at 02:54 PM.
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب