Thread: Jet Kuen

inpho Guest

Jet Kuen

I've recently started studying what we call at my school Jet Kuen. I can't find any information on it anywhere online though. I'm pretty sure this is a Cantonese translation of the Mandarin (being as it's a northern form and my school's forms are in Cantonese) so I dont't really know what to look for. I'm pretty sure it's a crane form but it has some eagle like moves in it. Can anyone help me out here?

NorthernShaolin Guest

Jeet Chuan

It sound like one of the 10 standard Ching Wu sets. Does this set contain a series of kicks, right kick, left kick then a double kick? If it does then it is Jeet Chuan. This is a Northern Shao lin set and is very popular set. :) :cool:

inpho Guest
    Yes, that's it! Thank'ee much.

Julian Dale Guest

That would be

That would be either Jeet Kune in Cantonese or Jie Chuan in Manadarin.

Standard Chung Wu form, taught in many schools, each with their own particular flavour.
    Northern style

inpho Guest
    Is Jeet Chuan a crane style form? I learned it at a Tiger Crane school and it seems to have a lot of crane movements in it but the first movement seems a bit more like an eagle form.

mantis108 Guest

Jeet Kune

When Bruce Lee did his audition (Green Hornret?), he did the opening (some what modified) of Jeet Kune and claimed it the crane form. Later in his life he created the JKD... so may be...

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

inpho Guest
    Hmm, how is Jeet Kuen related to Jeet Kune Do. I assumed they just had similar names. What does Jeet Kuen actually mean?

mantis108 Guest

Connection between the 2

Jeet Kune - intercepting fist
    Jeet Kune Do - The way of intercepting fist.

Jeet Kune is basically a kicking form which also uses deception (an important concept in JKD).

There are more but I am sure you'll be able to find them. So the real question is "did he invented JKD out of the blue or did he inspired by traditional art form(s)?"

Mantis108

Ben Gash Guest
    Bruce just used the name (although as has already been stated he did know the form). As for the origin it's a Mizhong form.

"Weapons are the embodiments of fear,
    the wise use them only when they have no choice"
    Lao Tzu

ngokfei Guest

history of Jie Chuan/quick fist

Yep part of the Chin Woo Curriculumn. All the sets have been published in books by the association.

Was introduced to the Chin Woo by Zhao Zhi Lian from Hu Tou Village, Jian County, Hebei Province. He taught it to Zhao Lian He who was the Chief Coach and Zhao Guan Yong also.

It has also been added to many Mi Zong/Lost Track schools from Huo Yun Jia.

eric Hargrove
    ngokfei@juno.com

shaolin_knight Guest
    I heard bruce lee bought books from chinatown about kung fu. I also heard he had the book on jeet kune. Probably, as he sort of knew the form. He had books on eagle claw too, which uses the jeet kune form from jing wu.

ngokfei Guest
    yep, burce had lots and lots of books (not just martial arts).

In one of the recently published books (a series) there is one on "Gung Fu" and in the back is a sort of cut out photo album bruce ahd put together of various styles.

Eagle Claw teaches all the 10 of the Chin Woo forms. But today most only do the Kung Lek and Jeet Kuen as basic sets. What a shame they are no way basic if done correctly.

If you like Chin Woo material go to
    www.kungfumaster.com.hk

they are selling newly publsihed books on
    chin Woo, Shaolin, Eagle Claw, Praying mantis, Wing Chun and others.

eric Hargrove
    ngokfei@juno.com

mantis108 Guest

Application

I agree with Ngokfei about the forms aren't that basic at all. Here's one of TCPM's Kung Lik Kune (Gongliquan) application:

TCPM Kung Lik Kune Application

Mantis108