Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interview of Wing Lam on Iron Palm Article

J Guest

WingLamStudent

WingLamStudent:"My comment is this, just because he was considered a “northern” stylist does not mean that he can not use an IP method from anywhere else."

J: Is it known where the iron palm method comes from? I'm curious to know whether the "bag" is truly a southern concept or just more predominant in the south. There's no reason for me to believe or not to believe that the "bag" was part of the northern method as well. This is the substance of my original question.

WingLamStudent: "how the student hold their hands will be particular to any style – any ready stance that is comfortable is correct"

J(original post):"I am wondering about the initial hand positions in the fighting stance. Many systems choose to place one hand at throat level and one at heart level to cover vital targets. Wing Lam and the attacker have their hands at the same level. This leads me to believe that this is the trained hand position. Is this the taught fighting hand position? What are their goals?"

I'm assuming from your post that this is NOT the taught fighting hand position. It's true that there are many different opening hand positions, but they usually have different goals. As the example that I gave where the heart and throat are covered. Another example would include "opening" areas to bait to certain areas or draw opponents into the desired fighting range (more common for short hand systems).

As far as the heaviness and coloration, I agree with Gene. From a scientific point of view, consider how much ferrous/ic oxide (rust) that you would have to absorb to actually feel a difference in the weight of your hand. Consider the fattening of your hands. Also, consider when you actually began to feel the heaviness in your hands and whether you've felt this heaviness from other training.

Gene, thanks for pointing me to the bak sil lum vs n. shaolin article. Bravo. I enjoyed the article.

Mark, I enjoyed your article as well.

wisdom mind Guest

where can one get 1/4 inch iron ballz at?

thankz

WingLamStudent Guest

Were to get 1/4 Iron or steel balls

centerline vortex:
    You can get them from Wing Lams web site at:
    www.wle.com

When I first started, I get all my 1/4 steel balls from a sprting goods store (rod and gun). I bought all they had of the stell pellits that were used for hunting sling shots.

J: Your comments are well considered and gladly taken. Thanks for your interest.

-Mark

dfedorko@mindspring.com Guest

Iron Palm

Greetings -

For my "two cents", I would like to add that I train with iron pellets and, I feel, it is the best way to train. It is a good feeling to know the hand is charged. When I studied Tae Kwon Do many years ago, I used a bag filled with steel shot and a makiwara. The feeling was not the same, the hand was not charged but in pain and it is a joy not to train the knuckles. What a mistake. If you are looking for iron pellets, Master Brian Gray, I believe sells them. You might want to look up his website and find out.

Damian