Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brian Gray: Your Thoughts

suff0beast Guest

Brian Gray: Your Thoughts

Hi everyone. Gotta question. I met Brian Gray through my work. I email him and I have called him once. I am thinking of taking on his instruction and become a student. I have seen some people talk about his former students who are really good trainers. Now I am asking all of you who may know something/anything about him, about the system, about the students and trainers. I know about his website, and I know about shaolinsan.com as well so don't tell me about the advertisement. Tell me if the training is legit and worth it. I may be moving to DE where his school is and I wanna know if I should just stay put and keep on w/ my current stuff.

Rick

suff0beast Guest

I forgot

Gene please give me your thoughts, I know you do research on these things so maybe you could comment on in this for me.

Thanks,
    Rick

Lost_Disciple Guest
    As someone who just reads the posts and doesn't have any personal opinion about the guy, I think the general consensus is less than positive about him.

All I can say is that he talked up his training of Anthony Michael Hall and showed pictures of him doing his kung fu in a mag. I wasn't impressed. He admittedly taught the guy a bunch of forms right off the bat, with no basics, and it looks like it. It'd be one thing if he were saying this as a coach of an actor who wants to do a little bit of kung fu for a movie; it's another when he's talking about him like a serious, lifelong disciple.

Whether or not that's adequate to condemn the teacher, is not for me to decide. You gotta go with your own judgement- unless someone else on here comes up with substantial evidence for either side.

Just my two cents.

WongFeHung Guest
    First of all, let me preface this by saying, I am not speaking about anyone in particular.This applies to any school. The main thing is to find out what style he teaches. Do some research. Find out about the system, his lineage,who he studied from,other teachers who do that system as well. What forms are taught. Beware of people who claim to teach simply 'Shaolin'. or "Shaolin Ch'uan", or "Lo-Han Ch'uan" these are simply umbrella names of what can be many styles, systems, and subsystems.Many people make up a system and just tag these names onto them as if it gives them some legitimacy. Sometimes, a teacher will take forms from books, videos, and throw them together creating his system. You would do better to buy the Wing Lam videos, which take you step by step through a real curriculum. I am wary of a school where the student is practicing a fundamental contemperary wu-shu form,(in a supposedly traditional system) doesn't know the name of it, and neither does his "sifu"! I have seen this on many occaisions.Run, don't walk from schools like these.

Shaolindynasty Guest

I disagree

Watch or join the class and see his skills for yourself. If he has the skill it shouldn't matter where he got it from. The lineage thing is being played up on, it's not really that important compared to the skill level of the teacher. I guess the importance of lineage depends on what you want do you want a history lesson or to learn a skill although at some schools you can get both if you have to choose one choose the skill.

Witness the Dynasty!!!
    New Site! www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net
    New original products!!!!
    www.cafepress.com/dynastystore

thekuntawman Guest
    lineage matters if you want a teacher who is truthful about his lineage or anything else.

GeneChing Guest

suffobeast

Oh man, did you have to ask for me by name?

Brian Gray wrote a very disparaging article about Shaolin for IKF. It was careless and a lot of people suffered because of it. Furthermore, I was there when he was there to do his research (and could tell you a story or two, but you'd have to buy my a drink first.) Heming, a student of Deyang, posted a response to it. I'll try to dig it up from the archives and bring it forward.

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher
    Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com

Crimson Phoenix Guest
    *buys Gene a drink to hear the stories* hehehehe
    I'm so un-emlightened, I love crispy stories hehehehe

suff0beast Guest

Thank you (Everyone)

Thank you for all of your responses. I have 3 of his videos of training. He is somewhat indepth, telling you how things should feel, and what to use it for (only a few samples but we all know techniques are limitless). Anyways, I am not too interested in the lineage, I would like to learn something effective, and something for me. I am also thinking of taking up instruction w/ a Frank Rivera(?sp) who teaches the Tiger-Crane system. But Brian Gray and I had a LONG conversation about Shaolin, and well I HAVE to say it... Sin The! Interesting enough I have a job offer open to me 1 year later from the company I work for to go out to Delaware! However I think I may research this some more before I make my final decision.

Gene I will buy you multiple drinks to hear some stories.

Also if anyone in NM (albuquerque pref) knows anyone that teaches a system of the shaolin arts then please let me know. Email me at rjwiggins@excite.com .

Again, Thank you all!

Rick :p

suff0beast Guest

I actually meant

If anyone knows someone out in NM that teaches a shaolin system or subsystem that does not advertise in any paper or phonebook ( i have searched extensively) please let me know. There isn't too much around here except TKD and AKKA (Kempo).

GeneChing Guest

sounds like a party...

You guys are buying!
    And don't qoute me on anything... It'll be our little secret... ;)

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher
    Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com

IronFist Guest
    Uh... did you guys buy him those drinks yet?

Iron

Turiyan Guest

I can comment...

I can comment on brian grey from a guy that met him. But first, I need someone to define for me:

"Yo-Yo"

As in "Man, what a yo-yo".

Turiyan gold, Brahmin caste, Ordos clan
    "A Brahmin, who is the giver of spiritual birth, the teacher of prescribed duty, is by right the father of an old man, though himself be a child." --Verse 22 of inner text of Brahminism

suff0beast Guest

"yo-yo"

What context are we talking about?

"man, what a yo-yo"

Someone who is not exactly an idiot, but maybe arrogant

Or

A little plastic circular object that is used in conjunction w/ a string to send it back and forth.

Could these be something close, as nobody here in TiVo seems to know what a yo yo is!

Rick

dfedorko@mindspring.com Guest

Brian Gray/thoughts

Greetings my Kung Fu Brothers -

I wish that everyone would leave Brian Gray alone. It is obvious you have never attended any of his seminars or talked face to face to this man. Brian Gray is a Master. He walks the walk and talks the talk of a Master. If you don't believe me face to face him and find out for yourself.

I would comment on his ties with the Shaolin temple but I don't want to upset Mr. Ching. Thanks for letting me give my two cents.

Damian