Thread: Yee Long Kuen/ Er Lang Quan Question ?

buddhapalm Guest

Yee Long Kuen/ Er Lang Quan Question ?

Can anyone tell me about a form named Yee Long Kuen or Er Lang Quan (Mandarin) ?

It may have been taught in the Ching Wu Association and come from the Long River Style (Cheung Gong Pai)of Hebei.

I practice a form of this name and would like to know its history.

Any help is appreciated.

:) :cool: :)

stma Guest
    Er Lang is the name of a Chinese folk hero and as such becomes fair game to be tacked onto any martial arts form someone decided to choreogragh. Erlangquan is also a complete martial art taught in Northern China.

Joseph Crandall

buddhapalm Guest

Er Lang Quan

Thanks Joseph,

Do you know where I could find examples of Erlangquan forms ? It would be nice to compare.

Also, who was Erlang, was he the three eyed god, because my form is called Erlang San (god) Fist ?

Thanks
    :) :cool: :)

r.(shaolin) Guest
    Hello Buddhapalm
    Speaking about the northern system, I think it is call Er Lang Men not Er Lang Quan.
    In the case of the system, if I recall correctly, the charater for 'er' (Manderin / pinyin) means 2
    the charater used for for 'lang' means ' city' ie. an ancient city
    and 'men' means - gate.
    The form you speak of maybe something different entirely.
    By the way is this a two man form?

kind regards,
    r. .

r.(shaolin) Guest
    As well I'm fairly sure it is related to SongShan Shaolin wushu.
    r.h

buddhapalm Guest

Hello again R

The form I practice is not a two man set. It features lots of long range punches, uppercuts, chops, also some jumping double front kicks, sweeps and tornado kicks.

I thought that "Er Lang" meant 2 Dragons, I didn't know it meant 2 City. Actually my form is called "Er Lang San Quan". Which means God (3 Eyed ErLang God) Fist. Do you think this may be related to ErLang Men ?

Look forward to any help.

Thanks

stma Guest
    Several routines have been featured in Chinese martial arts magazines over the years. Lots of long low stances, typical northern shaolin stuff.
    There is also a book (in chinese) "Shaolin Wushu - Erlang Martial Skill" by Li Chunyu and Li Chunyu (different characters for chun)features empty hand sets, weapons, and fighting.

Joseph Crandall

northstar Guest
    This Chinese page uses the character "gentleman" (which in erlang means second son) for "lang". The page uses erlangquan and erlangmen interchangeably, which seems to be common practice in Chinese naming.

Dragon is "long".

Searching www.chinalanguage.com I could not find a character "lang" meaning "city".

r.(shaolin) Guest
    I think that 'lang' references a Buddhist deity but also has been taken to mean '2-men' - that is why I asked if this was a two man form.
    As far as the pinyin 'lang' I've seen some writers use the Chinese character for 'ancient city' for lang.
    However, I think that the correct character is the one that refers to the Buddhist deity.

Some sources say that Erlang Men was Tung Hai-Ch'uan's first art.

The term 'Quan' and 'Men' are used interchangeable but their meaning is different and give reference to nature of the arts lineage. 'Men' references to Buddhist monastery architecture and in this way identifying an art coming form the 'front gate' as in Shaolin Lohan Men.
    r.Ï

buddhapalm Guest

Er Lang

I have the Chinese characters for the form Erlang San Quan. I was told it was translated as the Buddhist God/Deity ErLang, he had three eyes. I am not sure if the form is from Erlang Men system or just has the same name.

I was told that Sifu Leung Shum of Eagle Claw teaches an Erlang Quan form, and that their form was from Long River Style of Hebei, I dont know if its the same though. I would like to find out.

Dear R.
    I also have a pole form called Bak Men Gwan, or Eight Gate/Door Pole. Do you think the "Men" of Bak Men Gwan has a temple connotation, or do you think it may refer to the eight directions, or gates of attack and defense ?

Thanks everyone.

NorthernShaolin Guest

ErLang

Buddhapalm,

STMA is right on the money and the style was taught at Ching Wu Schools. Leung Sifu of Eagle Claw style has his roots to GM Lau Fat Ming who taught at the Ching Wu in H.K.

I believe the set, ErLang Chuan, is the same as the one you know or very similar since your sifu.Louie Sifu ,learned from GM Ma Ching Fung who learned from GGM Sun Yu Fung who was the head instructor of Ching Wu in Canton.

:) :cool:

buddhapalm Guest

NorthernShaolin

Yes that's what I guessed the connection might be.

Don't forget to put Sifu Dea Bak Do in between my Sifu and GGM Ma :-)

I did not know that Sun Yu Fung was the head of the Ching Wu Association in Canton, I thought he was only a guest instructor. Wow.

A few questions if possible:
    1. Do you know of any books that feature this form ?

2. Any idea as to who introduced ErLang Chuan to Ching Wu ?

3. Is it from Hebei Cheung Gong Pai "Long River" Style ?

4. Does Ching Wu of Canton have a registry of students before 1950 ?

5. Is there a list of forms taught in Canton ching Wu at the time of Sun Yu fung ?

6. Do you know if GM Ma studied at Ching Wu directly, or only from GGM Sun Yu Fung ?

Sorry for so many questions as usuall

Thanks

:) :) :)

Tainan Mantis Guest

8 Gate Staff

Most likely means 8 styles.
    This could happen if the stylist learned staff from 8 people.