Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many temples?

How many temples?

I've heard some people argue that there was only one true Shaolin temple and others say that there were several temples. What's your thoughts?

There is only One Shaolin Temple.

The second one in the South was just rebuilt and it is debated still whether or not the site they found there was the famous southern shaolin temple. But it's there now.

The others in some way became associated after the various destructions of the Henan temple. There is probably a story of an escaping shaoplin monk or something holing up in another buddhist temple to take refuge from the persecution.

Anyway, there's only one.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Thre are only 3 original temples. Well, 4 but the last one was torn down shortly after being built by Liu Ba Fu Ne, he was just a redneck bast ard anyway. The remaining 3 werent really the original temples either because i have no idea what im talking about. However i can continue making stuff up if you like. PM me if thats what you want me to do for you. Dont be shy.

Kung Lek:

You said, "The second one in the South was just rebuilt and it is debated still whether or not the site they found there was the famous southern shaolin temple. But it's there now."

So wouldn't that make at least two? The first in Henan and the second in Fukien? What about O-mei, Shantung, Hua Mountain, Kwangtung, and Wutang? Did these other temples develop their own systems and styles as well? Are they not considered part of Shaolin?

Wudan is usually associated with taoism.... but that is where many styles originated, being influenced by shaolin or influencing shaolin is another story, but being "shaolin" is different. I guess the same would apply to many other places as well.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Originally posted by norther practitioner
    Wudan is usually associated with taoism.... but that is where many styles originated, being influenced by shaolin or influencing shaolin is another story, but being "shaolin" is different. I guess the same would apply to many other places as well.
    Ok. I'm not a Buddhist or a Taoist, but my understanding is that the two are not mutually exclusive.

why

Why is there as much or more myth in Chinese martial arts history than real factual history? Was there ever an actual Shaolin temple?

Separating the history from the legend in Shaolin is something that will never be done completely. That is why it is so appealing to so many.
    Last edited by norther practitioner; 05-08-2003 at 04:28 PM.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

perhaps

but it makes it unappealing to others, for the same reason.

Thats sort of why I said many, not all.....

Anyhow, it will never be unravelled.
    As far as there being an actual Shaolin Temple, yes, there was, and it is still there, albeit rebuilt, but it is there. Gene went to a symposium on all things Shaolin his last trip I believe.... we shall find out what he would like to divulge when he writes his article.
    practice wu de

What about O-mei, Shantung, Hua Mountain, Kwangtung, and Wutang?
    Have you been reading Shaolin-Do history?

To combine Buddhism and Taoism is kind of like saying you are an Islamic Jew. While they came up in the same regions, they are very different things.

Reading Journey to the East (or is it west... ) you will note a lot of derision and just plain nastiness toward Taoists (the book is a Chinese classic and is from a Buddhist point of view).

The northern temple (Shaolin) has a long history and was burned down the last time in 1929. (by a general/warlord that was later one of Chaing Kaishek's head guys). It was not really rebuilt much until recently.

After the 1929 buring, things languished and then the invasion from Japan began. The temples and much of China fell into chaos.

After WWII, then you had the war between Chiang and Mao...and the temples languished.

Then you had Mao - lots of laws about religion and monks...then in 1966 - 1976 the Cultural Revolution...

The temple was rebuilt to what it is now starting with Jet Li's Shaolin Temple movie.

The Southern Temple was fabled but it is cloaked in uncertainty.

There are historians that maintain that the Southern temple was a political and social ruse and never actually existed.

There are also historians that state that the temple DID exist but that the location could be one of 3 or 4 locations.

In tha past couple of years, the government backed group declared that they had determined the location and were going to rebuild the Southern temple as an historical site for study, reenactment, and tourism...and a few other things.

Mind you, if the temple DID exist, it was burned down and not rebuilt in the 1700's. There have been no southern Shaolin monks since then (if ever).

What we are seeing now is an influx of people and the development of wushu folks in the area...and soon to come will be 'authentic' southern monks.

While you CAN argue for the legitimacy of the northern temple, it eludes me how you can rebuild something that has not existed and had no connection or lineage to the original other than possible location and then claim for the monks there to be 'real'

But, people will begin to put this information out as if it were gospel.

Master Killer:

Thanks for the information. Temples were integrated into the Shaolin system. I suppose this is part of the reason why so many CMAs, including some IMAs, claim shaolin as a heritage.

MK, if you don't mind me asking, where did you come by that info?
    Thanks.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

There are 8 and I have proof!!
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?