Thread: Who Has Sparred a Taekwondo BlackBelt

dre_doggX Guest

Who Has Sparred a Taekwondo BlackBelt

But read all optinons before you even think of posting
    Tell us how was it and what do you think of Taekwondo negative and positive. I want to know.
    and since they are so many sparring rules Iam narrowing down to 2 did you win or lose in Taekwondo rules or win in Kungfu(Sanshou like) rules.

Read all options before you even think of post

Andre Lashley

Losttrak Guest

Post doesn't really make sense but...

... here you go. TKD's flowing kick footwork is pretty **** good. No one can create a continuous barrage of feet like TKD. However in a situation where there are hands, feet, grappling all thrown together it doesnt work. Its become very sport oriented over the past few decades. However, like any other style it still has some lessons to teach. There ya go, and lets not turn this into a greater than/less than debate.

"If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

Shaolindynasty Guest
    We've had our share of tkdbb and from what I see they could be alot better and I think it's not the arts fault(that much) but to many TKD schools have a revolving door effect.

New classes New online Catalog
    www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net

scotty1 Guest

t6kd

i fight with a ex tkd guy at my class and, until you get used to it and figure out a way round it, his footwork and kicking is pretty hard to deal with. doesn't help that he's 7 feet tall. pretty nasty combo, but if you can get up close there's no problem.

Snakey Guest

I sparred a tkd guy

I have sparred and beaten a tkd fighter already
    using my kickboxing and snake style skills.
    tkd fighters have good kicks but they spend to much time on fancy gymnastic kicks and that sort of stuff so they are usually easily beaten.

jjr213 Guest

I am a TKD black belt and have sparred several TKD black belts

I am in TKD, have been for the past 15 years, and am now going to start learning Shaolin kung fu.

What everyone says is true. TKD has very powerful and effective kicking combos that are good for mid to long range combat. TKD does have a fairly extensive hand fighting system, however, these techniques are predominantly linear and fairly rigid, making them somewhat slower than the flowing hand techniques of kung fu.

Who wins in a sparring match, whether with TKD rules, kung fu rules, or full contact free style(my favorite), depends less on the style and more on the individual. I have sparred many different people(street fighting, TKD, karate, ninjutsu, kung fu, wu shu, muay thai) and have beaten and been beaten by all of them.

MonkeySlap Too Guest
    I have fought plenty of them. Includeing a guy who took silver at the world games.

I have found TKD to have huge tactical flaws in its training methodology. The TKD guys who were the best fighters were the crosstrainers - they also did boxing / kickboxing, wrestling, kali or something that rounded out the training.

I know I have irritated TKD players on this board before, but I have seen a LOT of that stuff, I tend think that you'd be better off training something else - if your planning to bet your life on it.

I am not convined that one-step sparring and thier strategies based around that particular type of kicking offers the best solutions for the street.

However, if you want to play a tough kicking game, TKD can be fun. I guess.

And yes, I have stories of TKD people surviving in the street - but usually it is against an opponent who is slow, stupid and unsophisticated. A drunk or a CMD guy. With a few notable exceptions, but each of those guys crosstrained.

Please note these are just my opinion based upon observation. I am sure YOUR TKD is perfectly fine, and you need not feel hurt by my observations.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

HuangKaiVun Guest
    Depends on the practitioner.

Some of those black belts can really hurt you with their kicks, some of those black belts can really hurt themselves with their kicks.

mortal Guest
    I studyed TKD for 2 years and from what I can see all the kicks in TKD are done with bent legs and a heel that comes off the floor on the base foot. In kung fu most kicks are done with the base foot flat and the leg straight. I find that is more stable during fighting. Less sweepable. I think kung fu also has a bigger variety of kicks. I have sparred a TKD guy and found he was kind of quick kicking with no power and easily backswept. My 36 cents.

Kung Lek Guest
    I have, and he was pretty good although he did tend to leave his kicks extended at the end which in turn led to being trapped.

No punches whatsoever.

peace

Kung Lek

barnics Guest
    Burt Ward, the guy who played Robin in the 60's Batman TV series, was a Tae Kwon do black belt. He once shared an apartment with one Bruce Lee.... (Really!) It's been too long since I read "Back to the Batcave" to flesh that one out, however.

andrew

Radhnoti Guest
    You intrigued me with that one barnics. I did some quick research. They lived in the same building, they sparred together and their families went out to eat together often.
    Cool, eh?
    Thanks barnics.