Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Rene - HFY Champion!

John,

Controlling time and space is simply a way of referring to control of relative position ensuring you have the easiest and quickest access to your opponent's vulnerable areas while they have the most difficult and time consuming access to your own.

I hope this response has increased your satisfaction with HFY's online presence,

Respectfully,

John W.,

As this is a HFY thread, and not a ZLWCK thread, please forgive me if I don't consume valuable net realestate delving into a whole different subject at the moment.

As to you HFY question, while definitions for "internal" vary (neigong vs. neijia vs. groundpath vs. micromuscular vs. sanneihe vs the telekenetic/telepathic hybrid I dub telepathetic vs. etc.) it is my understanding HFY contains profound elements of what they dub "internal". I am not sure if this is separate from the martial training (ie. a separate exercise like Yijinjing), but I do believe the SNT I saw contained movements of a Qigong nature.

A pinhole camera through which to behold the eclipse, etc.

John W.

My question was (and thank you for giving me the opportunity to repeat it), "Is it too early to humbly demand this thread be placed into sole consideration for KFO "thread of the year"?"

While it is something of a digression, it does have some fleeting flirtation with the relevant topic and format of this thread, but you're correct, I must truly and consistently strive to lead by better and more stupendous example. I will meditate on this....

Incense in the crockpot, etc...

Brian,

Thank you for your consideration and concern!

Lest any misunderstand, I meant roaches as in the insects for which they were always spraying when I was in NYC (we get more earwigs than roaches where I live... shudder). Napalm seemed like a solution, hence the skittering...

But I digress again. Please don't encourage me off-topic, I need everyone's support to keep this thread pure!

As to Nam Ahn, while I have met some of his students, and know quite a bit about the background of Vietnamese WCK, since this is a HFY thread, please understand if I respectfully request we start a new topic to discuss that subject, and stick to HFY here.

As to the comparison you request, there is a great deal of variation among Vietnamese WCK, with those descending from the the ethnic Cantonese students looking much closer (as could be expected) to YKS than HFY, and those of the ethnic Vietnamese students looking unique in their own right, the result of integration with other material, etc., and unlike more or less HFY or anything else (except, of course, for the broad generalities we all share).

A bik that's been flicked, etc.

Jeremy,

Thank you for being part of the solution! Please find your passport on this thread stamped with a provisional visa, and enjoy a complimentary cup o'joe for an excellent, bridge-building and highway extending reply!

WRT your caveat, the diplomat part is quite correct, the soldier and scientist not. Soldiers and for the most part scientists (unless they're self-funded and governed) do not take stands, they do as they are told to do, and follow the policy set by their (often not soliderly or scientific) superiors. They're tools (which is why they sometimes do have to take stands, at trials, for following the wrong policies). Perhaps captains of industry and government/community leaders would be more to the point, but of course they have situations all their own, and this is, after all, a HFY thread. 8)

Respectaculosity, etc.
    Last edited by reneritchie; 05-14-2003 at 06:51 AM.

Marcos Hsiang,

1 - TWC material, please see TWC thread.
    2 - (takes scoop of "Traditional Tsocolate Ice Cream" and scoffs it down). Shrug. Dunno, please see TWC thread and previous replies on this thread.
    3 - I do not know if Gee sifu personally met his sigung, but he has never said he has reason to doubt his sifu, Wong Ming's claim that he learned from his own father, Wong Ting, rather than Leung Bik. And since its uncertain what Leung Bik's WCK, if any, looked like, its difficult to present a compelling case for that theory. So, while anything is usually possible, there's nothing at this point to suggest it.
    4 - There were apparently only 3 sihings. We don't even know the names of all of Yip Man's sihings. We don't know the names of all Yip Man's students, and its the most popular branch on earth. Perhaps they don't fight a lot, and don't teach publically, or have careers that would not benefit from their being publically known or known as martial artists, or any of a number of other reasons, all speculative to be sure, but sadly that's all we have at the moment.
    5 - TWC question respectfully for TWC thread.
    6 - I will try to compile a list of pertinent, respectful questions.
    7 - No, but that's for sure! 8)

A willow'whisp in the swamp, etc.

Re: I have first had experience with HFY and Chi sim!

Hi Chango,

This is not a personal attack at all, just a question. Please don't take offense to it. I am sure others will just by my asking.

How long have you studied Gee Shim wing chun? If I am not mistaken, You guys only have had a couple seminars. How can you be ready for an instructors course? I don't mean this in a confrontational way, just currious as it usually takes a long time to learn skills.

One reason this intrests me is because Eddie Chong too took short courses in Pan Nam's style. The major difference was that he spent several years on the Pan Nam system, and he trained for extended periods in China, not a couple weekends. After several years, finnaly started to teach the system.

Has Andreas packaged the art in such a way that makes use of your previous training and condensed the core of Gee Shim?

I find it facinating since I have distance problems to my school.

Tom
    Tom
    The best investment is in the tools of one's own trade - B Franklin
    Mirrors should reflect a little before throwing back images. -J Cocteau
    The mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools. -Confuscius
    Do Not become a slave to your model. -V Van Gogh
    It is a capitol mistake to theorize before one has data -A Conan Doyle
    Get youfacts first, then you can distort them as much as you please - M Twain
    Don't Be greedy, Don't be afraid -K Chung

Joy,

Thank you for upping the hit count,

We all have different means of communicating, of expressing ourselves and of achieving understanding. What might be quick for one person to pick up might be belabored for another, and what might be easy for one person to express, might be a thesis for another.

It would make sense that this is common sense, for if it were not, it would be senseless, and that would be senseless. Sensible things should be sensible.

As to jargon, we are all victims of jargo in one way or another. One person's simplicity is another's incomplete and one person's elaboration is another's needless complication. Find the level that suits you, pull on the speedo's, and jump in for a dip!

Halogen at the bottom of the pool, etc.

Chango,

Thank you for striving to be part of the solution! And thank you for seeing my point. As to your point, I think that since long time (but currently mass-ignored) HFY supporters Sheldon and Roger always received unconditional support, admiration, and lusty thanks, and were never encouraged to seek but one honeyed drop of actual HFY information, I will be just fine.

No one understands anything with complete and utter precision, so really you're just asking to trade one level of lack of understanding for another, and while that might be prudent in the future, at this point, as you rightly point out so pointedly, we're still on baby steps (baby crawls, even more pointedly).

Please be patient, its a long road to hoe, but we are making steady progress.

Also, as champion, I hereby respectfully request once again that you remember we're not discussing me, we're discussing the great art of HFY, and your time, precious as it is, would better be spent earning your provisional visa like Jeremy.

Highway blinker 57, US1, etc.

William,

As a direct student of Gee sifu, you are perhaps the most valuable resource on this forum. Since you find the repeated questions (which will probably always be echoed by new comers, much as TWC vs. WT, 50/50 vs. 100/0, etc.) please allow me to handle them with grace and dignity, while you share your vast technical knowledge of HFY along the rebuilt, structurally reinforced bridges being built before you.

Respectocity,

Hendrik,

Thank you for upping the hit count!

If any direct HFY claims (as opposed to VTM claims, as this is a HFY and not VTM thread) are made about being the most original, it would only be a drop in the great waterfall of original WCK claims. With only the fewest of exceptions, I'm hard pressed to find *any* branch that hasn't at some point, under some practitioner, who hasn't claimed to be "the original" (not to mention all the other arts like wumei, fut ga, mui fa, etc. that have claimed to be the original, more complete versions of WCK). So, like PFL's "Northern Internal" orginal claim, or some of the others, all without any evidence but with the faith of their practitioners, we can simply view this as part of the culture, and not at all unique.

As for Chan and SMK, as this is a martial arts and not a religious forum, I respecfully request we stick to the martial aspects of the discussion, and anything else be redirected to the appropriate religous forums.

Bight eyes on bushy tails, etc.

Re: I have first had experience with HFY and Chi sim!

Originally posted by Chango

I find that both system begin with the understanding of core Chan concepts. I'm very much aware of Phenix's protest as to what he conciders to be Chan. However I checked and cross checked these concepts with knowlegable Chan athorities. None the less I do not wish to debate the origin of these concepts. Both systems share these concepts and both systems point to Chan regardless of anyone's opinions on them.

......Once agian I realize that we are all related as WCK brothers. How we are connected then becomes secondary.

Chango (saat geng sau)

IMHO,
    It is the responsibilities of the claimer to show the legacy and the teaching of Chan with fit the sutras. Until then it is claim and not a fact yet.

John W.

As this is a HFY thread, and not a VTM thread, while I'm sure they appreciate pointing out the error, I would prefer to stay focused on Gee sifu and HFY the art, and eliminate even the potential for any other individual or group to effect perceptions of him, or them, be it negatively or positively.

As to what, if any research supports the material of the VTM or any other group, that is likewise outside the scope of this thread. It's my understanding Gee sifu teaches the HFY, but his students are too numerous now for him to control, and can communicate or further elaborate as they wish, so unless something comes directly from Gee sifu, we should always be careful not to let it effect our perceptions of him or of HFY.

Respectaffle,

Chango,

Thank you for sharing! Please find your provisional visa for this thread stamped and approved. As HFY champion, I am warm and fuzzy over the excellencing in communication being instigated herein!

Train,

Thank you for upping the hit count!

Respectfully, however, if you cannot handle questions, even ones that annoy you, with grace, humility, humor, tact, and a skillful mastery of the single entendre, please either supress your desire to post on this thread so as not to pot hole our beautriful new highway or sway our still under construction bridge. Our ignore lists, after all, are growing far too long (even if they lend the threads a spiffy polished look!)

Firecrackers beneath the lions feet,