Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Rene - HFY Champion!

Hi Terence,

I am not Rene, our HFY champion, nor do I play one on the internet. But I had a couple things bouncing around. I am not sure if the dummy is a good thing to look at. Many arts not at all connected to wing chun, all of which retain their traditional forms and such, incorrporate the hangging dummy. Several Bak Mei schools have it. I have seen Hung Gar schools that also have it. The thing is such an elegant training device that I can see everyone incorrporating it. LOL.

This isn't the correct post to ask this, I don't want to run the risk of being put in ignore jail by our champion, so I'll just ask outloud. I don't recall any part of the Pan Nam dummy really affected by the cross slats. There is one part where you reach around and do a neck pull to a vital spot, differnt than the Yip Man dummy. Some dummies have slots in different places that can make this move a little difficult, but that is just the specifica dummy. We must be able to flow as our opponents wont be 100% alike. The only real issue is that the Yip Man dummy is too short. Pan Nam had one that was in the ground I beleive, or atleast it touched the ground. There is a section were you step on the base of the dummy, which you cannot do with the Yip Man dummy. But your point being that the techniques would fit the type of dummy used would make sense.

My question, to get this back on track, is related to Shaolin. When we look at shaolin arts, arts like Hung Kuen that claim and are recognized as shaolin, why don't we see the typical patterns? I can look at Choy Li Fut, Bak Siu Lam, and Chan Chuan and still see the similarities. All are very different, but have the same core. Art attacks that utilize larger circles, being powered with the shoulder. Large stances such as the front bow being fundamental to power generation. Power generation by torquing the hips and waist. Solid reverse punches. Etc. Why don't we find much in common between Hung Gar and wing chun? I have only seen a small amount of HFY, and I myself do not see the similarity really. Why wouldn't the same theories, or atleast similar ones be found in Hung Gar? Hung Hay Gun was supposed to be very close with Gee Shim and trained with him for a long time. Luk Ah Choy also trained with him. But we don't find the Chan principles nor do we find any of these theories that are spoken about. We also don't see Hung Gar theories talked about in HFY. I do understand that the arts changed and maybe Gee Shim would have taught one group something that he left out of another. But would he have taught both such a distinctly different art?

May be that leads to the question if Gee Shim taught both. Maybe Hung Gar is NOT connected to Gee Shim in reality. In that case, we probably can not say that wing chun and Hung Gar are connected to those that think it is. As we "solve" one puzze, we get another. But it don't make sense. The answers kind of sounds like the pre copernican solution for Venus's orbit, or was it Mars?

Tom
    Tom
    The best investment is in the tools of one's own trade - B Franklin
    Mirrors should reflect a little before throwing back images. -J Cocteau
    The mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools. -Confuscius
    Do Not become a slave to your model. -V Van Gogh
    It is a capitol mistake to theorize before one has data -A Conan Doyle
    Get youfacts first, then you can distort them as much as you please - M Twain
    Don't Be greedy, Don't be afraid -K Chung

Rene:

You're performance of the "iron fist in the velvet glove" routine (ala...Tony Robbins...let's sweep all the tough questions under the rug...I'm great...you're great...and life is truly wonderful)...is starting to wear thin...

AND doesn't address some very pertinent issues concerning HFY; specifically, The TWC/HFY connection in terms of the near exactness of their martial teachings, (and the attempt at co-option by HFY of Chan philosophy doesn't count as any "major" difference between the two martial arts)....

the issue of William Cheung's proven expertise over the last 45 years - and Garrett Gee'e unproven expertise - in terms of who it is that has the most explaining to do about that "martial exactness"...

the issue of Yip Man's true place in wing chun history and Shaolin heritage...

the issue of the VTM and Benny Meng's highly questionable behavior - in terms of rewriting history without proof.

It is downright unethical and misleading for Garrett Gee to say - when asked about Meng and the VTM - that he now has too many students to be able to control all of their individual actions.
    Only ONE of those students is in control of a museum dedicated to wing chun kung fu. Gee knows that, I know that, William Cheung knows that, Moy Yat knew that...and so does everybody else...

And when that museum prints articles (as does Gee) that make huge claims for which there is only tiny scraps of evidence (most, if not all of it, through oral tradition)...then questions HAVE to be raised, and answers HAVE to be given - NOT EVADED.

Victor,

First, thank you for the whiplash inducing posts! As I myself have seen co-workers pre-and-post morning double latte's, I understand the phenomena and will try to help bring it down.

As the more astute among us might have already guessed (or more accurately "read"), this thread is not so much about answering questions as it is about re-establishing the framework that will make asking and answering questions, indeed relationships in general, successful. Frankly, someone needed to remind the questioners just how to ask questions with a chance of getting an answer (for a question intended not to get an answer is something else entirely), and to show how questions being asked could far, *far*, (far!) better be handled.

All were lost, so I provided a road map. From here, whether you choose to look at it and plot a course towards a mutual destination, or if you choose to floor it off road and off a cliff, I have no control, but you have a choice, at least. This breather, this interupt, this reset has given everyone a moment to pause, to be intertained, and most importantly, to be acknowledged.

The pattern has been broken, where you or anyone else goes from here, is your and their choice. And who among us is truly omniscient to know all, to see the end of every path, to know the result of every choice. None. So we must, regardless of fiery passion, and o'eer whelming pride, consider ourselves carefully, and proceed cautiously.

If that's the velvet gloved iron fist of "hello!" smacking one and all upside the muchy pink pineapple, so be it.

Now, as a TWC person, please remember how you feel when people "attack" William Cheung sifu and TWC (remember, many of the same people share just as many questions about TWC as HFY). Now, regardless of whether you feel its analogus or not, understand this is how HFY people feel when people "attack" Gee sifu and HFY. Take your post, flip it around, and see how you would respond to it. That's the element of choice we all face, regardless of self-righteous delusion, or perhaps because of it.

I do agree with you, but instead of "have to be raised" I think "will be raised", but a conversation between two peple lacking eyes and ears, possessing only mouths, is seldom productive (and can iritate small birds and animals nearby).

Break your questions down, we'll go through them step by step, one by one, like the many splended dishes on thanksgiving. But remember to start with the antepasto!

A glimmer on a crystal stemware, etc.

Well we are almost at 5000 posts :P wee
    Thanks for all the hard work everyone.
    Unfortunately, I have to place Rene on my Matrix ignore list.
    I thought it was a great movie and I think Rene is just plain mean to say anything bad about such a sweet film.
    I see your shallowly masked insults to Neo and Trinity and the secret Wing Chun Matrix Fighting System.
    Well back to HFY. Rene why not invite a HFY family member who can speak with authority to join your campaign. It would be fun to get the official position.
    Thanks you Fink!

P.S. Boycott Rene's Matrix slander!

Well we are almost at 5000 posts :P wee
    Thanks for all the hard work everyone.
    Unfortunately, I have to place Rene on my Matrix ignore list.
    I thought it was a great movie and I think Rene is just plain mean to say anything bad about such a sweet film.
    I see your shallowly masked insults to Neo and Trinity and the secret Wing Chun Matrix Fighting System.
    Well back to HFY. Rene why not invite a HFY family member who can speak with authority to join your campaign. It would be fun to get the official position.
    Thanks you Fink!

P.S. Boycott Rene's Matrix slander!

Thumbs down Rene, Victor

Rene=

Victor=

Sheldon

David,

Thank you for pushing this thread to its much deserved 5000+ viewabled.

WRT Matrix Episode II, you are incorrect. I went in ready to love that beeyotch and it broke my heart. It continued to show why powerful artists need even more powerful editors. It had a bloated, convoluted, cobbled plot that raised a lot of interesting ideas that were never followed through on, and followed through on a lot of pedestrian ideas no one cared for. Dialog was wooden, repetive, and more parody than acting. Fight scenes suffered from obvious doubles and CGI use, and uninspiring choreography. I suffered great anticipointment.

But this is not a Back to the Matrix II thread, it is a HFY appreciation thread. As you know, while some HFY members are enjoying a well deserved ignore vacation so they can find their smiles and become part of the solution, Levi (full), William (provisional), and Chango (provisional) have all received Champion approved pass ports for posting on this thread. Hopefully one of them will note some of the more technical interest shown in HFY and help share warm fuzzy responses with the likes of you and other rapidly friendly-intesified people.

Shiny saltuationals, etc.

5000!

As this thread continues to shatter records records, win rave reviews, alter perceptions, and get all'da'sugga, it's progenator, the HFY champion, wishes to thank everyone for their unquenching support and unbendable enthusiams.

In just one short week, I have taught playa-haters how to love the game, and the playas themselves just how to play it. It's been hard, brutal even (like a swimsuit model left too long in the sun) but we have all persisted, and we have begun to attain.

Y'all have recognized and represented, and mostly even respected. Good on!

(PS. those who continue to name their children, small animals, or IROC's after this thread, thanks, but remember to act responsibl and drink only in moderation!)

Rene:

When you speak of self righteous delusion - are you refering to Rule number 4 ?

To refresh your memory: Value those who disagree with you more than those who agree. AS ANY WRITER SHOULD KNOW, ONLY THE HARSHEST CRITICISM HAS VALUE. THE MUTUAL ADMIRATION SOCIETIES AND PHILOSOPHICAL RATIONALIZERS WILL HONE YOUR EGO, NOT YOUR CRAFT."

Originally posted by reneritchie
    Hopefully one of them will note some of the more technical interest shown in HFY and help share
    Sure. Although I can't and don't give "official stamped respones," I'm more than willing to share my own personal perceptions/understandings of things. What's the question?

-Levi

PS. - RENE

There is a certain INTELLECTUAL DISHONESTY on your part when you refer to my posts as an "attack" on Garrett Gee and company.

The "attack" has been made by Gee and company (ie.- Meng)...
    when they attempt to rewrite wing chun history without offering sufficient proof.

My response (posts) are a "defense" against their attack.

You may go on kidding yourself about this...but not me...and I suspect I am not alone in this regard.

William Cheung has offered "proof" about the existence of TWC over the last 21 years..the same proof I am offering right now on the Understanding TWC thread: The ACTUAL DETAILS of the fighting system known as TWC ...when spelled out extensively and without esoterica...are proof that the system is REAL, and in many ways very different than other wing chun systems....

beginning long before Gee's appearance on the scene with (for all intents and purposes) - the same fighting system. Am I saying that Gee's a fraud...NO...that he stole it all from William Cheung...NO...at least I can't say that yet - and would prefer not to ever have to say that - but Gee has to back up his claims about lineage and "the only true" wing chun being HFY, etc..with more than what he, or Meng, or anyone else has done, as of yet.

You seem to be implying that now that this thread has "stroked" them as much as it has...they will now be induced to be more forthcoming about "facts"...Maybe...but my latest posts on this thread are reminders to you and them that .....

WE ARE ALL STILL WAITING FOR ANSWERS...

Levi,

The two most recent technical questions which come to mind are from Mun Hung and Terence, as follows:

1) What purpose does the HFY "bai jong" (tan and gum) position of the hands serve? Particularly the gum sau? (I was told that it was gum and not wu) Where is the "pressing" energy being directed and why? Sideways in "bai jong"? Why not forward energy with something else?

2) Did the adaption of the HK style 'hanging' dummy require any alteration of the HFY dummy set so as not to hit into the support slats when moving around the dummy.

Thank you for your continued exemplification!

In closing, I end,

Question Victor

Victor Wrote>
    beginning long before Gee's appearance on the scene with (for all intents and purposes) - the same fighting system.
    This is coming from a man that has had no hands on expereince of HFY....and is using second hand information as his source of evidence???

Victor Wrote>
    William Cheung has offered "proof"
    What....that it's not so cool to wear "Slippers"????

Sheldon

P.S. Victor...let it go....there's allot of answers we would like in regards to TWC????

P.P.S. Rene=
    Last edited by Geezer; 05-16-2003 at 11:04 AM.

Victor,

If this thread is giving you too great a case of agita, perhaps some vino, una bella seniora, and uno picollo 'chill out dude', could provide some temporary relief of minor WCK itching.

Otherwise, please stick to the HFY topic, and the Q&A format, or move the discussion to your *excellent* TWC thread.

That, or you could contact Kramer's lawyer (brilliantly played by Hawkins Cheung's disciple) and sue $tarbuck$.

In sum, the addition,

ANSWERS...RENE...ANSWERS...NOT BEING CUTE...ANSWERS.

PLEASE RETURN TO THE CENTERLINE WHEN OTHERS (HFY) TRY TO TAKE YOU OFF IT. (during intellectual and historical chi sao).