Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Rene - HFY Champion!

Thumbs Up!

Levi, you are a true gem in our HFY family.
    World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association

"Obey the natural laws and principles of the universe." ~ Grandmaster Garrett Gee

"Education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society... We must remember intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Thank you very much Levi. Your responses have typically always been very rational and helpful. It will take me a while to digest what you wrote (pasted). I don't think anyone expects detailed information as it is difficult on the medium. Just the core of the concepts. These discriptions are maybe precise and accurate, however they are a bit convoluted and unclear. I think they can be simplified a lot so dummies like me can understand them. LOL.

Tom
    Tom
    The best investment is in the tools of one's own trade - B Franklin
    Mirrors should reflect a little before throwing back images. -J Cocteau
    The mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools. -Confuscius
    Do Not become a slave to your model. -V Van Gogh
    It is a capitol mistake to theorize before one has data -A Conan Doyle
    Get youfacts first, then you can distort them as much as you please - M Twain
    Don't Be greedy, Don't be afraid -K Chung

IT'S FINALLY EXPOSED!

Okay...it really is time to clean about HFY.
    No more secrecy...no more beating around the bush about it.
    The real Grandmaster of HFY is.....

William Cheung!

See www.cheungswingchun.com for more details.

Re: IT'S FINALLY EXPOSED!

Originally posted by Ultimatewingchun
    Okay...it really is time to clean about HFY.
    No more secrecy...no more beating around the bush about it.
    The real Grandmaster of HFY is.....

William Cheung!

See www.cheungswingchun.com for more details.
    I do not think that GM Cheung would attest to your statement.
    World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association

"Obey the natural laws and principles of the universe." ~ Grandmaster Garrett Gee

"Education which stops with efficiency may prove the greatest menace to society... We must remember intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

HISTORY IS SUCH A FUNNY BUSINESS...

Remember the joke (back in the day) when people would say they never saw Superman and Clark Kent in the same place, and at the same time?

That's how it is with TWC and HFY...(Just change the names, dates, places and events of certain people and principles, drills, technigues, etc. - and you're in business)....but they still remain -

One and the same system - but the interesting thing is that one of the leaders of these Siamese twins can prove his claim to be teaching the system since 1972 and the other says he's teaching it since 1975 but can prove nothing of the sort.

One of them is a LEGEND back in Hong Kong (dating all the way back to the 1950's - do to his extraordinary fighting skills) while the other just sort of came out of nowhere in the late 1990's and has never done anything besides seminars and a few magazine articles.

One of them had no place in his association for a NEW and IMMEDIATE "leader"/curator type of guy and the other did.

And the rest is history!

All it really takes is a Masters degree in Marketing, fellas!
    And the ability to keep a straight face while saying the most bizarre and amazing things!

Not a Master's degree in Wing Chun...just marketing!

apologies to your team mate Luke for the stylistic pinching
    It's a lot harder to emulate Luke Beston since he became an in-law of the Gracie family. Maybe you could find a cutie amongst GG's relatives...

I personally consider it a serious crime in the martial community.
    I agree it wasn't exactly respectful, but you do yourself no favours by using this sort of ridiculous hyperbole.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Originally posted by tparkerkfo
    Thank you very much Levi. Your responses have typically always been very rational and helpful.
    Thanks. I do try to be available and helpful, and it's nice that people notice that.

Originally posted by tparkerkfo
    These discriptions are maybe precise and accurate, however they are a bit convoluted and unclear. I think they can be simplified a lot so dummies like me can understand them.
    I agree. When you have to explain something, you really get an idea of the nuances, and how well you yourself grasp the material. I was trying to answer all three questions and not go over a page (which I almost did), but I can see how the information could still be confusing.

I'd be more than happy to clarify any questions you have. As someone earlier pointed out, even the same words mean different things to different people, so it can be hard sometimes to give a quick answer without creating more confusion, since even "common" vocabulary can have different meanings to individuals.

-Levi

Andrew,

Thank you for helping with the high rode. As to the original post, please remember this is strictly a HFY thread, and anyone wishing to discuss other sifu, Chan and Chung included, are welcome to start their own threads.

As to Luke Gracie, yes, he has set the bar perhaps impossibly high. I am an MA journalist (published), however, and I'm still single, so the other door remains open.

Thanks as always,

Tony,

As HFY champion, I respectful request that you refrain from posting on this thread (perhaps all threads) so that my diplomatic skills may do some damage control. While I understand your passion, HFY being a new introduction has to take the high road, which I have already turned onto the onramp for.

Respectfully, etc.

Savi,

Thank you for your question!

Please understand, however, I am *not* representing the HFY family. I am representing HFY. The difference is simple, yet profound. The HFY family is a group of individuals, HFY is an art. It is my intent, through this thread, to show a better strategy for engaging the WCK world, repair burned bridges, mend fences, and create a new, better perception for HFY, and I *sincerely* hope the old strategy and the the baggage that's been accumulated by it will be set down, grabbing of a decaf, and letting me get on with it.

Respectfully, etc.

Da_Moose,

Since you are new to the forum, please let me introduce myself. I have over a decade of experience in WCK, almost two decades in MA in general, am a twice (not independantly) published MA book author, and multi-time MA magazine author (professional). I am one of the individuals who first publicized HFY (nee Hung Suen) to the English reading world through my co-authored book, Complete Wing Chun, and the reason many of the non-San Fran based people in the US heard of and developed an interest in the art. I am also humble and ravishingly good looking... But I digress. Since I helped introduce HFY to the English reading world, I feel somewhat responsible for its relationship with that world, but unfortunately I was negligent and allowed my attention to waver, and during my inattentiveness, bad feelings have arisen between HFY and some of the rest of the WCK world. I will now single-handedly show a better way to relate to others, and help set the HFY ship on a newer, better course to friendly relations.

That said, with the utmost respect, I now request that you allow me, HFY champion, to answer further questions on this thread, regardless of any exception you may take to their form or content. Our strategy is one of polite engagement, meeting frowns with smiles, and insults with courtesy. We will lead by example.

Gee sifu has personally told me he does not mind any questions, and understands due to the new introduction of his beloved art that there may be skepticism and criticism. If Gee sifu is okay with that, I am okay with that, and will use it to HFYs advantage.

Very nice to meet you,

Respectfully, etc.

Paul H,

Please understand that, as I have said before, while I am the HFY champion, I do not study the art, and so cannot give detailed technical information on specific elements that may or may not be present. Perhaps it would help to consider this an introductory chapter, setting the stage, so to speak. When I have properly mended the fences, rebuilt the bridges, etc. and HFY students learn to model the example I set, hopefully we can proceed to further chapters that will address such specifics.

I am working on the crawl, walk, run model, and am still just pushing off the initial crawl.

I can say that the eventual answer you get will not be something alien or bizarre, but something involving the tools from the sets, actualized through the concepts and strategies of the art.

Thank you for your understanding,

David,

Thank you for increasing the hit count!

Fu ZhenSong was very famous, and while he is Gee sifu's sijo, Gee sifu is currently concentrating on HFY, not Fujiaquan, and as this is a WCK forum, and a HFY thread, I respectully hope everyone can keep forcus and keep us on track.

Do you have any HFY questions for me to answer?

Tom,

Thank you for participating! Your rehabilitation is going nicely! You're spot on! There is a long history of HFY supporters who (at least claim) no knowledge of or connection to HFY. Unfortunately, they didn't possess any diplomatic skills, which is a definate plus in a champion, so I have taken up the burden. Hopefully they will enjoy their retirement and feel free to pursue leisure activities while I mend the fences and rebuild the bridges.

Now for your questions!

1. I tried to help with this on an early post in this thread. Please see that post and if you have further questions, I will do my best to continue.

2. Kiu Sao are simply methods of bridging, but like many/most things in HFY, they follow a very systematic method of implementation and rigourous testing to help the student develop as optimal a response as possible.

3. Saam Mo Kiu are simply three stages of achievement, or understanding/accomplishment. There are many models for learning and application skill, both in western and easter culture, this one provides a nice way for students to measure an analyze their progress, from a state of not knowing, to struggling to understand, to effortlessly doing.

4. If you need to blend an oil and a vinegar, try adding some mustard to tie both together.

With respect,

John,

Thank you for your unpurchased support! It is very refreshing and inspiring, and I hope I can live up to it!

As mentioned, we all learn and develop in different ways. Some people are visual learners, some kenetic learners, some must always go through a process to learn, and some just seem able to do things. For people who need and/or appreciate a very detailed proceedural approach to learning application skill, HFY certainly seems to fit the bill!

Respectfully,