Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who did Bruce Lee teach JKD to?

Who did Bruce Lee teach JKD to?

Did he teach anyone the JKD system?

Did anyone get the system, or at least what he developed before he died?

Serious Question

Skard1
    skarbro -- you're in, brother. your sole responsibility -- mock temple kung fu. -rubthebuddha

Its not what goes in a man that defile's him, its what comes out.

www.torontohiphop.com

"Did anyone get the system, or at least what he developed before he died?"

Are you serious? 'Cuz I hate responding to trolls...

JKD is not meant to be a system. It's meant to be a "way". It is his collection of theories. Now if you mean the actual techniques, that's a different thing entirely. He taught different things to different people depending on where (timeline) he was in his life.

Good book to check out would be "JKD Conversations."

Cyborg is on it, there is no JKD system. There is a Jun fan Gung Fu system, however, and Dan Inosanto's academy would be a good place to start if your looking for what "is" JKD.

I would also check into Ted Wong.

strike!

Thanks, and yes im serious, I dont study JKD but the question was always in my mind, so its not a system, I think I understand, still alitte confused why I ask is I bought a early bruce lee book, called chinese gung fu, on the cover he is in a traditional outfit, good book, but I just got to think so I thought to ask, anyother info into the JKD style? system? would help, thanks again.

Skard1
    skarbro -- you're in, brother. your sole responsibility -- mock temple kung fu. -rubthebuddha

www.torontohiphop.com

KFO has a link on the cover page to a "Hardcore JKD roundtable," which is very limited in info, but has plenty of links to lots of JKD places and resources on the net.

Keep an open mind, the realm of JKD, like all Martial Arts, is full of red, blue, green, yellow, and white tape.

strike!

Yenhoi thanks i'll keep that in mind, anyone know any about this book, Chinese Gung Fu?, comments on the book?

Skard1

www.torontohiphop.com

Its just a little tiny book Bruce Lee wrote as a thesis paper for the University of Seattle or some such.

Good warmups, and clear applications considering the time period.

Its also the only book ever intentionally published by Bruce Lee.

strike!

Bruce Lee's "Chinese Gung Fu" book is basically a scrapbook of the knowledge he accumulated over the first part of his life.

Up to that point, he had studied the differences between the different martial arts. Not until he made "JKD" did he begin to perceive the similarities.

Though Lee's attitude was in the right place, it is my opinion that his training methods had not evolved to the point where he didn't have to throw away the classical techniques that had a big role in making him "Bruce Lee".

My feeling is that had Bruce Lee lived to the age of about 50 or 60, he would've invented up forms containing very simple movements that could be fanned out into sophisticated ones.

"My feeling is that had Bruce Lee lived to the age of about 50 or 60, he would've invented up forms containing very simple movements that could be fanned out into sophisticated ones."

My feeling is that he wouldn't have. He had already thrown out the "dead patterns" and shut his official schools down as he didn't want them to return.

I have trained with Ted Wong and I'm VERY impressed.

Very well could be.

Then again, I have a feeling Bruce Lee never ran into some of the more traditional kung fu arts that emerged AFTER Red China allowed more people to leave its borders.

Many of the arts (particularly the authentic combat Neijiagong which was completely unknown to Southeast Asia and the West until recently) did not emerge until the early 90s, long after Lee was dead.

Had Lee been alive, he'd have to have acknowledged the fighting skill of the authentic traditional fighters. Some of those guys can REALLY FIGHT.

He may not necessarily have agreed with the methods, but he would've had some fun duking it out with practitioners of those methods.

Hmmm

I think there are many he didn't come into contact with too. I'm quite sure that in fight situations he came against very few internalists.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

Re: Who did Bruce Lee teach JKD to?

Originally posted by Skarbromantis
    Did he teach anyone the JKD system?

Did anyone get the system, or at least what he developed before he died?

Serious Question

Skard1
    how da'heck this matter???? he taught nobody since 1973. if nobody learnt everything before 1973 u think they all been doin' nuthin' for the last 30year or what??????

Method Man,

Hack it matters. Bruce Lee is supposed to be the originator of JKD. If he taugght it to no one and the only records of JKD are his srap notes and a university assignment he did the night before don't you think the legend of Bruce Lee is built on foundations as shaky as his stances.

Let's talk about his fighting skills - it is concluded in another post that even that is brought to question.

Let's talk about his acting - he is a side kick known as the Green Hornet and David Caridine was chosen to be the lead actor of Kung Fu instead of Bruce.

A style which he did not teach, fights no one saw him won, acting that is bad. The perception of Bruce Lee today lies in Hollywood myth.

Empty Cup,

Your right, before Chuck Noris became the Walker Texas Ranger he played the bad guy in Bruce Lee movies - starring Bruce Lee. Chuck Noris lost every time even though on many occasions he would be on the verge of winning. I witnessed that with a couple of hundred people - in the cinemas.

No one can say that they can beat Bruce otherwise they'll be called phoneys and liers. But if you say you'd fought Bruce or even better - had a chat with him afterwards - you can write a book and make millions.

EmptyCup:

It is obvious that Bruce learned from Chuck and not the other way round. If Chuck thought Bruce was so good as to follow him around, then why would be not want to admit in public that he learned from Bruce? Use your brain boy!

Of course Chuck or Joe today will say they learned from Bruce because that's about the only politically correct thing to say. There can only be a diminishing number of people who have learned from Bruce as time goes by and accordinlgy the value of this stature increases. Am I not correct?

Bruce and Chuck were probably just good friends from way back. Both were interested in martial arts and maybe Chuck just got on well with Bruce. It's just that hollywood found Bruce and made a monster of a man out of a 5'7" egotistical kung fu no hoper.