Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Definition of a Challenge Match!!!

Watchman Guest
    I agree, but it's difficult under intense circumstance, and takes some exposure and familiarity to a highly intense emotional environment to learn that "composure". It's easy to get stuck in gears when the adrenaline is flowing.

I'm sure you would agree that there's a diference in approach to a "friendly sparring bout" and a challenge match.

RENEGADE_MONK Guest
    ^^^^

Losttrak Guest

Re: Oddermensch

It seems sarcasm is lost in forum posts. I dont think OM was serious about challenging them, thus the " " around challenge.

I base the intensity on how I view the opponent. Is he a knuckle-dragging choad trying to make himself feel better? Is he a true stylist looking to improve his knowledgebase? I will respond to each according to my personal bias.

"If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

Crimson Phoenix Guest
    I know I might get some hostile reactions to what I am going to say (but obviously I don't care since I'll say it anyway heheheheehh).
    I have always been very uncomfortable with this challenge issue...it seems that nowadays people all believe that in the past gong fu experts would accept challenges to prove their school's value or to defend it...but what about wude? What about humility? objectively, what is the point of accepting a challenge: you have to prove something to someone? or to yourself? What is the point?
    All of the top-notch experts in the past who challenged others didn't do it to prove their style is better than their opponent's or to take their place, they did it to learn from them and to learn about their own practice as to make it even better...I have many examples of this, coming from good sources...It makes me wonder if these challenges between sifus to save the honor of their school are not another mystification carried on by novels of the past and gong fu movies...you know chinese like these kind of stories...
    I personaly can witness that the meanest fighters I know are the ones who fight the least...even when they get bull****ted, they stay calm and don't say nothing...whereas some stupid young bulls with 3 years of gong fu feel they can talk shi@t of anyone and whoop their asses if they get a look they don't like...
    I'm not asking you to agree with me here and I know that lots of you guys here have been challenged and took it...I also want to add that my post applies only if the challenge stays at the verbal level, because if you get attacked then it's not a challenge anymore, it's a declaration of war and you know what to do...I know that personaly if someone talks **** about my style I won't make a big fuss about it, I'll say fine, that's your opinion, I'm going back to train...but when I need to fight and I'm in danger, I'll be there and I won't talk, I'll act...As someone said, there is no friendly fight...fighting is not a joke, either you fight hard, mean and for real because you have to, either you shut up and leave...it can be hard for the ego, but it's better this way...I'm sorry but I don't see the point of accepting challenges to prove your school, even if supposedly it was very important back in the past (I said supposedly because I personaly feel it wasn't as important as we nowadays think it was).
    This was just my opinion, don't take it personaly or anything...

Ish Guest
    I'd have to agree with Crimson Phoenix. Although i've never been chalanged i wouldn't accept if i was. If the chalanger didn't accept my decision not to fight and started something anyway then i would react in the most physical way i could. I don't think any chalanges can be friendly if they are it isn't a chalange it's just practicing or sparing.
    Just my opinion