Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: TCM, MD, L.A.C Sandal!

1. Thumbs up

"I know you don't like anecdotal evidence, but I have witnessed with my own eyes this situation- A person was being needled for a certain condition. She had never had acupuncture before and knew nothing about it or it's basic theories. Yet she accurately described where she felt "something" moving up her arm and eventually into her head area. She described perfectly the path of her sensations which directly corresponded to the path of an acupuncture channel. This cannot be explained as nerve conduction, as there are no corresponding nerves which travel in that exact way. How is this explained?
    "
    Yes,I dislike anecdotal evidence.
    It is true that there is no physiological or anatomical link between meridians and not even any real meridians.
    I cannot really comment on such "rumors" but despite meridians etc. being hypotethical,there are certain points that can be traced to nerves (thus there could be a neurophysiological foundation) which of,Iīve seen nothing conclusive so far.

"And finally, one more point regarding animal studies. I have seen, after a distal point being stimulated, that other points along the channel "swell", allowing one to visually identify the channel pathway on horses. Again, this pathway has no corresponding anatomy to explain it, and there is no way placebo can explain it. Please don't insult my intelligence and say that I was "conned" or "tricked" by a quack, as I personally know the human patient anyway, and she could not have possibly known the pathway of the channel, yet she accurately described it to a "T". I am not some gullible dolt, I am trained in Western science (as much as human behavior can be considered a "science!"). The "qi", or "whatever" travels in pathways that are not yet know by Western science."

That contains possible arguments/fallacies to prejudicial language,pity and appeal to authority.

Youīre giving me hard time here.More anecdotal information that I have little to say on.If interested,Iīve posted some negative trials of veterinary acupuncture.
    No,Iīm not trying to insult you in any way.
    "Not known by Western science" is a fallacy.
    The fact that these concepts are highly non-falsifiable demolishes it,it is not the same as "science cannot".
    As fragbot has pointed out,how would we start studying this?
    As you say yourself,anatomy&physiology knows as much about qi and meridians as it does know about soul (and the "burden of proof" may kick in)
    In order for this to make some sense in terms of logic,it should start making some kind of predictions.Instead of that,one can evade them by saying that meridians are "invisible" and that "qi" is a life force that governs the universe.
    After this,there have been some trials to track down such meridians just like trials which prove that needling the wrong points or perhaps not a point at all CAN bring similar results.
    A complete collapse of logic is required to justify such a position imo.
    When it comes to Western science as a method,there is another possible fallacy lying around here somewhere.
    At least a few times during these debates Iīve had to remind of itīs non-existence.
    Is feng shui science? Is tcm science? Is phrenology science? (not the medical application) Is personology a science?
    By definition of it,these can be pseudoscience at best.
    Yet half of these are Western,half Chinese.
    If someone was to refer to "Western science" just a bit more in future,Iīd call it the "argument to location".
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Interesting

I know this may mean nothing to a skeptic, but I found this kinda interesting http://www.mac-tcm.demon.co.uk/clinical%20inf.htm .

John Widener

'Understand your limits, but never limit your understanding'.

" I may disapprove of what you say,
    but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

Fragbot,

Welcome to this thread.

If you want REAL (ie scientific") research on TCM, go to JAMA (The Journal of the American Medical Association) and do a search on acupuncture. You will find studies proving that acupuncture is efficacious for more than just pain.

Also, I would like to state that TCM includes acupuncture, tui na (massage), herbology, cupping, moxa, qigong, etc. Some aspects of TCM work better for certain conditions. I will be the first to admit that there are some quacks out there, but for the sake of our discussion, lets assume we are discussing legitimate TCM.

As far as the Jing thing, I agree that too much loss of Jing will have a negative consequence on health. The "Confusian doctrine of the mean" is the underlying concept in TCM, meaning too much of anything is bad (as is not enough). (For those die hard TCM people out there, I'm not saying that TCM is founded upon Confusianism- I know it's based on taoism). From a TCM perspective, the jing contains pure energy, and indeed, each ejaculation contains millions of sperm cells; millions of potential babies. That is alot of qi!!!!! From a Western approach, the ejaculate contains enzymes, protein, etc, in great concentration. The body must use resources to create this mixture, and there is only so much that can be created in a certain period of time. Again, I'm not saying that "if you do iron palm and ejaculate, you will die". That is nonsence. However, I am saying that you certainly must conserve this resource if you wish to maximize health. I can speak from personal experience and say that I can feel the difference IF and ONLY IF, I am doing lots of qigong/internal work. If I'm in a phase where I'm just doing external, I really don't notice too much difference (then again, I don't waste too much either). This discussion is on the wrong thread...

Back to the whole TCM works/doesn't work, is/isn't valid thing. Maybe I can quote from the movie Contact (no, I'm not some UFO watching weirdo). "Did you love your father? Then PROVE it". I quote this only to highlight that some things are difficult to prove (I have no idea how to prove the existance of the meridian pathways- I'll leave that to someone else). I don't mean to imply that TCM works by faith either (or simply by placebo). I have seen "Non-believers" get great results. I have also seen total believers get no results. Why? Human error on the side of the acupuncturist? Poor point selection? Poor needling techique? Poor selection of herbs? I don't know-there are so many variables. Thats why TCM is also hard to scientifically validate. There is a famous saying: "Same disease, different treatment, different disease, same treatment". This means that every person with a headache, or PMS, or common cold, etc doesn't get the same treatment. You see, in Western medicine, if a person has a runny nose and a fever, they all get the same perscription medication. In TCM, people with the same "Western disease" can exhibit different "patterns", which means that they get different treatments. Is it "wind heat" or "wind cold" or "phlegm heat", etc. A problem with some studies is that a MD will group 30 people together with similar Western symptoms and make them all get the same TCM treatment (everything has to be the same to insure causality/validity). But In TCM, if you treat "wind heat" like it's "wind cold", the symptoms will definitely get worse. (Note to Former: By your logic, this may help substantiate acupuncture/TCM, because the wrong treatment does produce "side effects").
    Again, don't let primitive sounding names like "wind heat" distract you, a rose is a rose.....if the modality works, I don't care what you call it.

I hope this helps....

Jack
    "Do not follow in the footsteps of the men of old, seek what they sought"

4. Thumbs up

Mostly,that was just the same old propaganda what you might expect to hear from this location.
    If you search enough,you can find slurry photos of Nessie and Yeti too.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

5. Thumbs up

Jack,
    Iīm afraid your last post adds very little to this discussion but thanks anyway.

You post material that you say belongs to another discussion and then open a can of ad hocīs and tell about things that Iīm already aware of.
    Thatīs how I see it.

-FC, summer of 2006-

Former castleva

Man...that was quick! You must live on this forum? Kidding!

Mostly,that was just the same old propaganda what you might expect to hear from this location.
    I guess the samething just opposite response would come from a less bias group such as the government? LOL!

The one thing that I find disturbing about your belief and trust in medical science opposed to anything alternative, is the fact that you put all alternative medicine into the same group without any research into all that is out there. You seem to believe that things don't work as soon as there is a website or so-called study which says alternative medicine doesn't work. Even among Chinese medicine alone there are many different schools of thought. This isn't taking into mind that there are other cultural types of alternative medicine available that have been around possibly just as long.

I personally don't need to wait for a government to tell me that what I doing is ok. Just my opinion though. When medicine stops being a huge economical money making machine maybe then I will put some credit into their research. I know...I know, this sounds like the conspiracy stuff. But whatever!
    John Widener

Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

Former castleva

By the way, let's be for real. Unless you and I are standing in the middle of a science lab performing these experiments on all various forms of alternative treatments, you and I are just reading and putting 100% faith into what others say. And as someone with some knowledge and intelligence such as yourself may know, testing and experiment results can change or be completel dependant on the person performing them and by the results they expect. This brings me back to a Discovery Channel show, where they set up an experiment with two seperate groups. One was told that the experiment they were given wouldn't work or the outcome they expexted wasn't possible, then next group was told the opposite. Guess what? The group that was told that the experiment was possible (I can't remember the exact experiemnt......I know I lose points again), had a higher success rate of performing the outcome expected. Strange....unbelievable? I don't think so.
    John Widener

Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

8. Thumbs up

"The one thing that I find disturbing about your belief and trust in medical science opposed to anything alternative, is the fact that you put all alternative medicine into the same group without any research into all that is out there. You seem to believe that things don't work as soon as there is a website or so-called study which says alternative medicine doesn't work. Even among Chinese medicine alone there are many different schools of thought. This isn't taking into mind that there are other cultural types of alternative medicine available that have been around possibly just as long."

May it come as a surprise but alternative medicine as they call it has been a great interest for me.
    What follows is that I should have at least a trivial understanding of itīs forms.
    The fallacy of actually even using the term of "alternative medicine" is that it assumes that there are legitimate "choises" to look for when in fact,there is only one form of real medicine.
    There must be something questionable about it to be rated "alt." and the common ancestor uniting these branches is pseudoscience.

"I personally don't need to wait for a government to tell me that what I doing is ok. Just my opinion though. When medicine stops being a huge economical money making machine maybe then I will put some credit into their research. I know...I know, this sounds like the conspiracy stuff. But whatever! "

Quacks use these kinds of tactics,hinting at supposedly cold and dehumanizing medicine machine that sucks the life out of your "holistic" soul and does not treat the "cause" with itīs "artificial" methods.

"Man...that was quick! You must live on this forum? Kidding! "

Iīm observing you (too)

-FC, summer of 2006-

Former castleva

There must be something questionable about it to be rated "alt." and the common ancestor uniting these branches is pseudoscience.
    Unfortunately, I believe this term is used to lightly, almost as a generic term for anything that doesn't meet the government standards of medicine. But you already know where I stand on that. LOL!!!!

Iīm observing you (too)
    STOP IT....YOUR SCARING ME!!!!!!
    Last edited by azwingchun; 06-03-2003 at 07:49 AM.
    John Widener

Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

10. Thumbs up

"Unfortunately, I believe this term is used to lightly, almost as a generic term for anything that doesn't meet the govern ment standards of medicine. But you already know where I stand on that. LOL!"

Show me one branch that does not fit this description.

"STOP IT....YOUR SCARING ME!!!!!! "

Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha!

-FC, summer of 2006-

Former castleva

Show me one branch that does not fit this description.
    No, you are right.....that is my point. It doesn't seem to fit into the Western medicine point of view, at least to the outsider anyway. Don't get me wrong, I believe there is a place for Western medicine, but to totally say that other things don't work is ridiculous. Or to say it is only good for pain or something such as this is also ridiculous.

I think the funniest statements given by Western medicine is that alternative (term used very lightly) only gives false hope. This brings me to another story. There was a doctor several years ago who said that he had found the cure for Aids. His treatment was to circulate the blood from the body and heat it ( I believe to 150 degrees, though I could be wrong) and then cool it and circulate it back into the body. His results were supposedly amazing, and his patients showed no signs of the virus. Well, to make a long story short, the government shut him down. They said that he was giving false hope to his patients. He then went to Mexico (if memory serves) and through intervention of the US government was shut down again. False hope?!?!?!?!?! Let's just say this treatment was a sense of false hope and only added 2 more years of quality life to his patients and their families, but the virus returned later. I say this since I haven't seen an update on the patients who took on this type of treatment. Was it worth it? Who is the goveernment to say that this was a bad thing?

What is your opinion?

Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha!
    I might be more scared if you weren't in Finland and myself in the states. LOL!!!!!
    John Widener

Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

12. Thumbs up

"No, you are right.....that is my point. It doesn't seem to fit into the Western medicine point of view, at least to the outsider anyway. Don't get me wrong, I believe there is a place for Western medicine, but to totally say that other things don't work is ridiculous. Or to say it is only good for pain or something such as this is also ridiculous."

Not much compelling evidence to state otherwise.

"I think the funniest statements given by Western medicine is that alternative (term used very lightly) only gives false hope. This brings me to another story. There was a doctor several years ago who said that he had found the cure for Aids. His treatment was to circulate the blood from the body and heat it ( I believe to 150 degrees, though I could be wrong) and then cool it and circulate it back into the body. His results were supposedly amazing, and his patients showed no signs of the virus. Well, to make a long story short, the government shut him down. They said that he was giving false hope to his patients. He then went to Mexico (if memory serves) and through intervention of the US government was shut down again. False hope?!?!?!?!?! Let's just say this treatment was a sense of false hope and only added 2 more years of quality life to his patients and their families, but the virus returned later. I say this since I haven't seen an update on the patients who took on this type of treatment. Was it worth it? Who is the goveernment to say that this was a bad thing?

What is your opinion?"

The man might have been a quack.What else should I say?

However,there has been and is serious research being done in order to fight AIDS (and HIV)
    I feel there are some advancements to arrive.
    To relate this a bit,if you can suggest some alternative form of treatment over conventional in treating AIDS as an example,Iīm all eyes and years.

"I might be more scared if you weren't in Finland and myself in the states. "

How do you know...

-FC, summer of 2006-

Former castleva

To relate this a bit,if you can suggest some alternative form of treatment over conventional in treating AIDS as an example,Iīm all eyes and years.
    There's my point, this was obviously to alternative for the government. Would you not call this an alternative treatment? Or maybe not, since it was conducted by a Westren doctor?

What if some Chinese doctor would have performed this treatment or came up with the idea, would you have looked at it differently?

How do you know...
    OK....I've just locked my doors and windows! LOL!!!!!!!!!
    The man might have been a quack.What else should I say?
    Why would you say that? Maybe he was on to something? That statment is just a possible assumption.
    John Widener

Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

14. Thumbs up

"There's my point, this was obviously to alternative for the government. Would you not call this an alternative treatment? Or maybe not, since it was conducted by a Westren doctor?

What if some Chinese doctor would have performed this treatment or came up with the idea, would you have looked at it differently?"

All that Iīve heard so far seems to only confirm the fact that there was a failure,whether it was considered alt. or not.

I certainly would not diss a legitimate discovery because of someoneīs ethnicity.
    But if this means to say that if a practitioner of TCM would come up with a discovery,then I would check that out too but if it is made up of frog legs and mushroom powder then I might not,unless of course if it enchances the immune system.

"Why would you say that? Maybe he was on to something? That statment is just a possible assumption."

As far as I understood,it was a failure.

"OK....I've just locked my doors and windows! LOL!!!!!!!!! "

Look for my message on your table...

-FC, summer of 2006-

Originally posted by Jack Squat
    If you want REAL (ie scientific") research on TCM, go to JAMA (The Journal of the American Medical Association) and do a search on acupuncture. You will find studies proving that acupuncture is efficacious for more than just pain.
    They only have abstracts (I'm not forking over $9/article for full text), but some of the information is interesting.

The first two abstracts show acupuncture to be no more effective than a placebo for treatment of cocaine addiction or HIV-related neuropathy (not really sure what that is).

The next one appears to show some efficacy for reducing puking after chemo in women.

Most interesting to me was the one showing moxibustion reducing the probability of breech birth. I'd like to read that one. While I believe they've reported their results correctly, I didn't get a good answer for "compared to what." Judging from the abstract, moxa on the toenail point helps stimulate movement in utero and reduces the probability of breech birth. However, I'm curious why they didn't have a third group that ate, say, jalapeno peppers daily.

In other words, I wonder if it's simple irritation/stimulation that makes the baby move more often and the individual point or methodology doesn't matter.

Also, I would like to state that TCM includes acupuncture, tui na (massage), herbology, cupping, moxa, qigong, etc. Some aspects of TCM work better for certain conditions. I will be the first to admit that there are some quacks out there, but for the sake of our discussion, lets assume we are discussing legitimate TCM.
    I wasn't talking about quacks. I'm talking more about identifying the portions of TCM that are effective beyond the placebo effect. I think it's unreasonable to believe that what's widely considered "legitimate TCM" all works.

As far as the Jing thing, I agree that too much loss of Jing will have a negative consequence on health. The "Confusian doctrine of the mean" is the underlying concept in TCM, meaning too much of anything is bad (as is not enough). (For those die hard TCM people out there, I'm not saying that TCM is founded upon Confusianism- I know it's based on taoism).
    If you're saying moderation is better for your health than over-indulgence, obsession, or addiction, I'd say yeah. . .though that has little to do with TCM per se.

Back to the whole TCM works/doesn't work, is/isn't valid thing. Maybe I can quote from the movie Contact (no, I'm not some UFO watching weirdo). "Did you love your father? Then PROVE it".
    IIRC, that was the priest trying to argue the existence of god.

I quote this only to highlight that some things are difficult to prove (I have no idea how to prove the existance of the meridian pathways- I'll leave that to someone else). I don't mean to imply that TCM works by faith either (or simply by placebo).
    Proving the existence of god is dramatically different from "proving" (used in a loose manner) a particular set of treatments are (in)effective. One will always be in the realm of belief while the other isn't.

Furthermore, you've over-simplified and exaggerated my position. I don't think all TCM works solely because of placebo. I think some parts of it are effective. However, I think much of it doesn't work beyond the placebo or "irritation effect" and I believe it's important to understand what goes where.
    Wing Chun has lots of sayings. If sayings won fights, WC would rule the world (presumably by talking its opponents to death).

Empirical evidence strongly suggests this has yet to happen.

--anerlich