Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good BJJ/grappling instructional videos?

Good BJJ/grappling instructional videos?

I know its sacrilege coming from a CMA man but are what are the best BJJ or grappling videos to get? I just want the basics as I have no access to formal instruction and just want to do some informal practice with a few mates. Just going over basic guard, mount, escapes, chokes etc.

I've seen some sets of 3 that look OK - Egan Inoue etc.

What does everyone recommend?

Thanks

PE
    "We had a thing to settle so I did him"
    Tamai, 43, was quoted by Police as saying.

Bas Rutten has some cool instructional tapes, they involve locks mostly, head locks/leg locks. gives you an idea of what NOT to do in a fight =)
    If you know of any good Sanshou movies on the web, let me know through PM !

First..

The "Gracie Self-Defense" tape is a good combo of basic positions, throws, submissions, disarms and standup (some striking) techniques. This is basically the Gracie Academy's private lessons curriculum. Helio Gracie, along with the newest Gracie BBs, Renner and Ryron (sons of Rorion), are the featured artists. It is so cool to see Helio Gracie doing the techniques with such efficacy and fluidity at the young age of 90! It's definitely worth the price.

All BJJ is Gracie JJ! Bas Rutten is a Muay Thai/Kickboxer. His understanding of grappling is satisfactory, but he is no Gracie!!!
    The morrow beckons...

Check out Tony Lopexes Sambo tapes. Its a good series if you dont have a grappling background. Get the leg locks, arm locks and the combination tape. He does an exersize that is like a form, it will teach you how to move from lock to lock.

Panther Productions carries them.

For a great instructional book, buy the fighters notebook over at www.mma.tv

I think the problem here is you're looking for "good" Bjj/grappling videos.

(just kidding, wrasslers!)
    K. Mark Hoover

Mario Sperry Vale Tudo 1.
    A

I've heard Erik Paulson's tapes are very good, although his style is combat submission wrestling, he has studied bjj extensively and has probably incorporated a fair number of techniques into his style. check out his site: http://www.erikpaulson.com

The Best Grappling There IS!

Check out Tony Cecchine's tapes on catch-as-catch-can wrestling...he's awesome. His website address is:

www.catchwrestling.com

Marco Lala has a bunch of tapes on Ju Jitsu that are cheap and cover a lot of material. Check out the page at http://www.fightingsecrets.com

Purchase Matt Thornton's Functional JKD series on the ground and you'll have all the info you need for BJJ uses in the street.

www.straightblastgym.com

It is NOT sacrilege to seek nonCMA stuff to augment one's fighting skill.

Fighting is fighting.

My friend (a BJJ stylist) gave me a Vale Tudo video featuring one of the UFC winners. Forgot his name, though.

It was practical Brazilian streetfighting, mostly power and leverage based.

I liked the video because a lot of the moves were the same as the ones we do to each other in our kung fu class.

Erik Paulson's CSW seminar series is great to have! Doesn't cost much and he PACKS the videos with info! A definite bargain!

-John

the championship ne-waza series by Mike Swain
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

What are Erik Paulson's "Best Defense" tapes like? Any good?

I can get these in the UK for a good price.

Cheers
    PE
    "We had a thing to settle so I did him"
    Tamai, 43, was quoted by Police as saying.

I just got Matt Thortons tapes on Funtional JKD. They are excellent tapes on street effectivness of bJJ. Its more than an instructional of moves. Its a training method. Highly reccomend.