Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hmm, stance ?

Hmm, stance ?

Hey guys, I had a rather unpleasant 'friendly' fight with one of my mates. We were just having some fun dissing eachother in front of everybody (should have seen the looks on their faces lool). So we act as if we're gonne fight, he does kickbox btw. So I set myself in a normal sparring position, where my weight is more or less on both legs, with my left leg in front. He gives a kick with his left leg, which goes right past my balls lol. I was lucky to not get my balls knocked out, and we just sparred a little more just for fun. But all I could think of was that first kick... I mean was there something wrong with my stance ? There was no way I could have lifted my back leg to then use it and block that kick.. Should I just have grabbed it with my hand or something ? The kick went just above my balls.. I'm all confused now lol
    If you know of any good Sanshou movies on the web, let me know through PM !

What stance were you in?

My lead knee protects my nuts.

Not to mention my forward intent or mobility, or my kick to his groin...

strike!

Left foot forward, right foot back, weight equally devided over both legs, rather wide stance (sparring stance)

Doesnt this stance have a name? What style do you hail from?

At any rate mobility is what protects your nuts and other vitals from being punched and kicked. Also the fact that you are bearing down on the bad man, makes it harder for him to target, even connect.

What were you doing while he was busy kicking at your nuts? Just standing there?

strike!

It wasn't a real fight, we were just doing some **** to scare the crowd lol. The stance doesn't have a name no, just your basic Sanshou/Sanda/Sparring stance. I just wonder if I should have my weight divided differently when sparring or something, can't ask my trainer since it will be two weeks till next practice (school stuff) but I wanne know now !

Like yenhoi said stances should not be static but merely transition points.

And your lead knee should always protect your groin.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

what kind of kick did he throw? could you not lift your leg and block with the shin?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

He kicked euhm .. I don't know what it's called, but instead of a lowkick, that same movement, but towards my hips, weird way to kick yes, but he could have had my nuts So he went around, kicked in a way that I would 'fall' into my void, although he didn't think it through, he just kicked me with his right leg since that's his only good kicking leg apparently. My groin was protected for that sort of kick, from his left leg, but not his right leg. Perhaps a picture of a stance where you are well protected could be usefull ? Since in sparring we don't kick to the groin anyway (not allowed in sanshou sport), I'm not prepared for it apparently. And stances should be a good static defence imho, I'm not gonne jump around like a boxer, I've seen some of the best Sanshou tournaments (on tape) from my weight class etc.. to prepare myself a little better, and I have to say the ones that jump around all the time usually lose, and the ones with a strong stance, that only move when necessary win, so if the other person doesn't move, they don't move, or if the other one just jumps in circles around them, they just step and turn in a relaxed but very controlled way (Anyone who does Sanshou knows what I'm talking about I think, it's the basic moving they teach you when you start learning sanshou/sanda). So I'm not looking for an answer in the sence of move more or something, cause that's not the real problem, there was something extremely wrong with my stance I think, I should have been able to avoid this almost-painfull moment, without having to jump/move excessively. Unless by moving you mean stepping aside, that would have been an option too of course, but I don't know if it was the right one, I'd love to get more input on this, because I can't wait another two weeks to ask my teacher =)

Hmmm

Well if he had of hit your crown jewels it would of totally been your fault for standing in a double-weighted stance. Personally I can't think of anything else more weaker or slower to react than a stance which has 50% weight in each foot.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

I'm not gonne jump around like a boxer

Most boxers are moving very specifically and with a purpose.

there was something extremely wrong with my stance

Yep, your weight was 50/50 and you werent moving. Because you were flat footed and double weighted, you will find it hard to move quickly in attack or defense.

Unless by moving you mean stepping aside,

Exactly, move out of the way, to the side, forward, or back. Or like 7* said, block or deflect the kick by lifting one of your legs into his.

Unless the boxers you know or have seen are complete dolts, they could probably teach you a quick (and painful) lesson in mobility, economy of movement, speed, fluidity, combination, and even protecting your groin (even a modern boxer has a lead knee guard...)

As much as you want to have root and be deliberate in your actions and movements, you also need to be able to move quickly and lightly. You also should be attacking your opponent.

strike!

We were just playing, please don't forget that lol
    So 50-50 should be avoided at all costs ? Ok that's good to know, so far I usually wait in that position for something to happen.. I prefer setting weight on the front leg then, to not give away my leg for low kicks etc.. and it's indeed easier to react this way, I practiced with my brother, the weight in WT stance (back leg) was totally bad against low kicks, but with weight on my front leg I could take some serious kicks in my side of the upper leg, and I could move better too.

I think the 50-50 is a bad habbit because I do so much pushing hands the last couple of weeks, I always start there with a 50-50 stance.

My stance is kinda screwed these last couple of months, my trainer told me already, I just can't help falling back in old WT stances etc.. that gets me killed when he sees I'm leaving my front leg empty lol, definatelly in moving step pushing hands So now I'm just kinda looking for the best stance, to spar in.

Thanks guys. I know this is a stupid question to ask here, but I just couldn't wait for an answer that long, thanks again for helping

Re: Hmmm

Originally posted by Repulsive Monkey
    Well if he had of hit your crown jewels it would of totally been your fault for standing in a double-weighted stance. Personally I can't think of anything else more weaker or slower to react than a stance which has 50% weight in each foot.
    You're joking, yeah?
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Tzuchan,

Thanks guys. I know this is a stupid question to ask here, but I just couldn't wait for an answer that long, thanks again for helping
    I don't think that the weight distribution is your problem. Your problem is getting too settled in that distribution. Personally, I see no problem with a fifty-fifty split. Better maneuverability than weight on either the front or back leg. In those cases, you need to shift your weight before you can use any footwork.

Granted, any kicking you do with a leg will be faster if there's no weight on it beforehand (e.g., cat stance). But personally, my priority is footwork. I'd rather shift to kick than shift to move. Getting myself in the most advantageous position is paramount.

If you took a wide stance and settled into it, then that's the problem. But that's not your weight distribution. That's your posture.

And, as has already been mentioned, boxers don't bounce. They maintain a low level of movement. There's purpose behind it. Calling it 'bouncing' is missing the point.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

I wouldent say avoid 50/50, what I am saying is to move, be moving, dont stand there and wait.

Whenever Ive done push hands Ive been told (and learned by being knocked on my ass..) to avoid a static 50/50 weighting.

I am a fan of the Wing Chun 0/100 weighting, but will repeat myself, move... move... move. Having an 'empty' leg gives you many options and a different set of defensive mechanisms. The trick is that your leg is never really empty unless it needs to be. Move!

strike!