Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hmm, stance ?

apoweyn

Course I'm not joking why are you? You got to be kidding me if you think that a static 50/50 stance is gonna do anything worthwhile for you. Yenhoi breaks it open further in that movement should be constantly moving, but in a rest period I would definitely feel relaxed and ready in a 70/30 - 80/20 stance, it makes more sense.

Push hands should have you ever being 50/50, thats just asking for trouble.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

RM,

You misread his post. Take your head out of the dogma and pay attention.

50/50 is ok AS LONG AS you don't hang out there. When I box my weight is 50/50 because I want to move in any direction quickly--I'm also always moving. The weight shift comes when I throw a punch. Weight shifts to move are relatively minor. In thai boxing, I tend to weight the back leg more so my front leg is available for shin checks. My movement is consequently slower as I have to shift weight to move.

Bottom line--if you want to use movement as defense, you can't heavily weight one leg or you have to shift all that weight to . If you're more interested in putting body parts between you and the other guy then maybe a different distribution is necessary.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Re: apoweyn

Originally posted by Repulsive Monkey
    Course I'm not joking why are you?
    Nope. I'm not joking.

You can't think of anything slower to react than a 50/50 weight distribution. Okay. That's your experience, I guess. But I personally can't think of anything faster for movement (footwork) than a 50/50 distribution. As I said earlier, if you're kicking, it'll obviously be faster if there's no weight on it. No weight shift required. But if you're looking to actually change your location, then you'll need to redistribute your weight to do it. (Or hop, I suppose) In that case, the 50/50 is faster, in my experience.

You got to be kidding me if you think that a static 50/50 stance is gonna do anything worthwhile for you.
    Reading is fundamental, RM. Give it another try. Tell you what: I'll make it easy on you and quote myself (from a post that actually went up prior to the post by Yenhoi you cite below):

I don't think that the weight distribution is your problem. Your problem is getting too settled in that distribution.
    Too settled = not moving. Dig?

Yenhoi breaks it open further in that movement should be constantly moving
    How about that.

But in a rest period I would definitely feel relaxed and ready in a 70/30 - 80/20 stance, it makes more sense.
    To you. Not to me. But that's fine. Opinions vary. I didn't ask whether you were joking because I thought that this opinion here was absurd. But the statement that you can't imagine anything less maneuverable than a 50/50 is a pretty serious statement. An overstatement, in my opinion. Fifty fifty on the balls of your feet is very maneuverable. Fifty fifty on your heels, very not maneuverable.

Push hands should have you ever being 50/50, thats just asking for trouble.
    I don't get this sentence. Did you mean 'never' being 50/50? If so, where's your weight in push hands? I've not done that exercise, personally.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Usually in push hands if you become double weighted (50/50... static..) you fall over. But, if you stop your weight anywhere, if the guy has any sort of sensitivity, you will fall over.

I cant describe push hands. Taichi sticky hands. One person feeds energy, the other recieves and redirects. Or so.

Todays street fighting thread has been brought to you by the principle of Mobility.

strike!

Originally posted by yenhoi
    Usually in push hands if you become double weighted (50/50... static..) you fall over. But, if you stop your weight anywhere, if the guy has any sort of sensitivity, you will fall over.
    Thanks for the description, Yenhoi.

I cant describe push hands. Taichi sticky hands. One person feeds energy, the other recieves and redirects. Or so.
    Yeah, I guess I'll need to see more of it in person to really get the whole picture. Though I get the concept.

Todays street fighting thread has been brought to you by the principle of Mobility.
    Word.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Kinda depends on your personal fighting style, doesn't it? I don't spar much, but lately Sifu has been in a sparring frame of mind. What I've noticed is that what works for one person won't for another. I'm short and squat, but quick, so I usually sink into a low horse and use the cresent walk to get around. I've noticed that taller guys have trouble attacking me in this stance, and when they do, they tend to leave themselves open for a nice upper cut to the chin/breast bone. But my weight IS 50/50 for the most part. It also leaves me open to front and cresent kicks, though. I'm working on blocking with hands instead of knees and shins. I just can't get 'em up fast enough.

When you are attacked in real life, you're going to have to respond from whatever position you are in.

When you are attacked in real life, you're going to have to respond from whatever position you are in.

Not true, unless you walk around totally un-aware of your surroundings. Most people get 'in trouble' because they simply arent paying attention, or dont want to. The majority of violence on the street is not as random as the randoms want you to think.

Predators hunt prey.

Last edited by yenhoi; 05-16-2003 at 08:37 AM.
    strike!

"not true?????"

So you go around all day in your little special "stance" ready to fend off any number of threats at any time?

Not only that, you lie AWAKE at night in a perpetual state of readiness? After all, you are "paying attention" all the time and cannot be assaulted at any hour of the day?

Do you realize you might actually get attacked at night (like so many women have experienced)? Or in your car? Or in an airplane? Or with your girlfriend? Or in the bathroom?

Real life isn't a kung fu movie in which the hero can easily dispatch tons of armed invaders by going into his little stance and jumping out of sleep any time he wishes.

Just to add something here. I may be wrong but I believe when people are talking about stances they are talking about classical "combat" ready stances. You know hands up, elbows in, chin down, on guard, mano a mano, which is good as a solid stance is critical to stability and movement throughout a confrontation but their are also "situational" ready stances which should be noted as they do not showcase combative intent and still allow for a effective pre-emptive or counter attack to a violent situation.

Some of those that I practice-

Jack Benny- This is the classical jack benny stance or as I like to call it the thinking mans stance do to the inquistive position of the arms.

Pretty deceptive and great for launching chin jabs, chops, tiger claws, hammer blows, what have ya.

Folded Arms- Arms lightly folded under chest. Great for launching strikes such as a knife hand with the arm hidden under the top arm.

Hands on Hips- More bladed but again deceptive with the strikes coming from below the attackers field of vision.

Hands Up- Typical "hey man" I don't want no trouble palms out muay thai guard position. Great for pre-emptive strikes and counters and it has that psychological advantage of making you look like the non-aggressor.

On the topic on percentages I am going with the 50/50 but in a fight you will be transitioning rapidly so I think the basics are more important so much than perfect percentages. Such as the elbows tucked in, chin down, positioning, protected vitals.

Cheers
    Regards

When you guys are talking about 50/50 being slow are you flat footed (rooted) or is your weight more on the balls of your feet?

I fell in love with push hands with my first ward off and roll back, and you're right Yenhoi it is hard to describe. I think grapplers would take to it and get it real fast though. "Taichi sticky hands"? More like sticky body IMO.

Do those same ones myself BJ.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Rogue,

The Jack Benny is old school cool.
    Regards

It's a favorite of a friend of mine. He's even add a little chin or cheek scratch to both help the sucker get distracted and used to seeing the hand moving. Then it's either a pop to the nose or a kick to the gut to start the fun.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Originally posted by Black Jack
    Just to add something here. I may be wrong but I believe when people are talking about stances they are talking about classical "combat" ready stances.
    That's what I was talking about, anyway. Everything my Sifu teaches has a "form" version and a "self defence" version. You learn the form version first to get the body mechanics down, then work it up to the self defence version and practice using it from the ready position (hands loose at sides with open palms and feet at sholder length apart) in drills and controlled sparring.

I think grapplers would take to it and get it real fast though.
    Well rogue, we pretty much DO sticky hands, just more free form. And definitely sticky body.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli