Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hmm, stance ?

Originally posted by Merryprankster

Well rogue, we pretty much DO sticky hands, just more free form. And definitely sticky body.
    We're going to have to find a new term for that. That's just wrong.

When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

HKV: my point was that you need to pay attention to whats going on around you, then you are not at just any ole position or mindset when "the **** hits the fan." I dont know about you, but I dont go and sit on the toliet when I have any suspicion that I might get ATTACKED any minute. Maybe your envoirnment is in need of changing.

You are wrong. Violence does not happen COMPLETLY at random.

strike!

I still don't understand the trajectory, the path of movement of the kick. And your on-guard stance - are the heels lined up in a line facing the opponent, or are they spread apart? The first option protects the groin more. Against a front kick, you can shift your weight to the back leg as you lift the front knee and brush the kick to the side with your hanging lower leg a la Wing Chun. Against a round-trajectory kick, you could step forward and out with the front leg and raise your REAR knee to block the kick a la Muy Thai. But the best option of all is to simply move out of the way, and throw a low gan sao or gum sao to track the kick.

Originally posted by fa_jing
    But the best option of all is to simply move out of the way, and throw a low gan sao or gum sao to track the kick.
    ??? What is gan sao and gum sao?

Good ideas about moveing away and blocking with the knee. I'll have to try it that way. My arm blocks dont work well on round trajectory kicks/punches.

gan and gum are lower gate wing chun hand movements/structures. Basically reach down and touch the kick, so you can read your opponent, track is energy, stick to his movements, etc.

strike!

Weight distribution aside, your problem may be one of time and distance. If you line up with someone leaving an open line of attack and are with in his critical distance, then you will likely get hit. By critical distance I mean that distance which your opponent can launch and land a non-telegraphic attack.

Do you recall the angle and distance between the two of you? Did your friend launch his attack non-telegrpahically or did you see it coming?

Dude, I think the guy was throwing a thai style push kick at him. It really does look odd if you think of throwing a kick for damage and then you see this thing come at you.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

YOU might not get attacked sitting on the toilet, yenhoi, but rest assured that my students (particularly my female students) might and have.

Whether you like it or not, attacks often occur in ambush situations. And even if you know that they're coming, often one doesn't have a chance to go into his pert little stance before the first assault comes. People will WAIT until you let your guard down - which is what stalkers do.

Of course, that doesn't mean that you can't fight your way out of that. There are things to train that teach you how to prevent and fight out of unusual situations, which we work on all the time in school.

Having a good stance is only one part of the battle. Getting INTO that stance when somebody sneak attacks you - that's a different story.

You actually teach your students how to fight thier way out of the toilette?!?!? Now that's dedication to your students!

Being that I practice taiji, I would say avoid 50/50 weighting. Other styles will say different. Whatever.

But Tzuchan, you mentioned that you start out 50/50 in push hands, right? NEVER EVER be double weighted with 50/50 distribution in push hands. You will get rocked so hard by anyone that's really good or can see that you're double weighted. Trust me.
    "Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

The idea is to start off 50/50 but not fully rooted. Your wieght is 50/50 on each foot but the majority of the wieght on each foot is on the ball of the foot. with practice, this basic stance becomes a vauable tool. You fine tune your body to detect pressure and what direction it is comming from. Once you know that, you can rearrange your wieght distribution to effectively counter the incomming force. the basice 50/50 stance is a very good starting point for almost all stances or postures.

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    i didnt even read this thread but...

sant ti shi
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Re: Hmm, stance ?

Originally posted by TzuChan
    I mean was there something wrong with my stance ? There was no way I could have lifted my back leg to then use it and block that kick.. Should I just have grabbed it with my hand or something ?
    I just had an epifiny(sp?) have you ever tried a tist block? I'll try to explain it.

from basic horse: rotate 90 degrees tward your forward leg into bow stance while bringing your rear hand down in a circle block, ending fully extended and parallel with your rear leg. forward hand can either come to your hip in a fist or downward open hand block or you can raise it to an over head block.

You can then rotate 180 into lunge stance but facing him.
    * Using over head block: deliver a chop to the neck, the shift to oposite lunge and deliver a body punch.
    * From downward facing hip block: Rotate 180 into lung while delivering open hand chest strike, pulling other hand into your armpit in downward facing open hand block. Then step to his side and out a bit with forward leg, pull into cat stance and deliver open hand temple strike.
    * Using closed fist: Rotate 180 into lunge delivering chest punch, then another chest punch with other hand, then a body punch.

BTW, these are from Chinese soft fist.

Originally posted by Becca
    You actually teach your students how to fight thier way out of the toilette?!?!? Now that's dedication to your students!
    HKV's martial arts are best suited to the toilet. That's where most sh!t ends up after all.

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

You actually teach your students how to fight thier way out of the toilette?!?!?
    What's wrong with that? Considering everyone has to use a public toilet sometime and they are not always the safest places it is something that should be tactically considered.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.