Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nyc Schools??

Question Nyc Schools??

Can anyone help me find a good Shaolin School that isnt commerial and isnt so expensive? I just want to learn the authentic forms and for its health practices. I do think doing the movement looks healthy and fun. Besides if I wanted to fight I would use my Bagua, LoL. I am kidding people. I dont want any Shaolin vs WuDang thing now.

Peace.

you've got a lot of choices...

I mean, as far as Shaolin goes, you've got like 4 people to go see right off the bat:

Shi Guolin is the official something, and so apparently is a Karate guy, Steve DeMasco, Guolin's assistant left his temple and has set up shop right around the corner from Shi Yan Ming, and in brooklyn is another monk, Li Peng...and now it would seem that Shi Yan Chang has also returned to NYC and Shi Guolin is working with him...so is that four or five? I lose track...

And then there are lots of other schools in and outside of the two Chinatowns that lay claim to the Shaolin heritage...

"Not commercial" nixes DeMasco.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Can anyone tell me why Demasco, who supposedly represents shoalin, wears a karate gi?? I know anyone can wear whatever they feel like wearing to train but if claiming to represent the shoalin temple, I would thing a karate gi is out of bad choice of outfit.

Can anyone here provides web sites and numbers. I have friends trying to get me involve wing chun gung fu but dang there are from different branches and some say their method is better while the other sux. But I heard this Alan Lee kat is the real deal. So I think I stick with my BaGua and learn some Shaolin for some flashy movement and perhaps looking like I can fight will scare off any attackers, lol.

So I think I stick with my BaGua and learn some Shaolin for some flashy movement and perhaps looking like I can fight will scare off any attackers, lol.
    I'm not sure if this is an insult or not.
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

Can anyone tell me why Demasco, who supposedly represents shoalin, wears a karate gi?? I know anyone can wear whatever they feel like wearing to train but if claiming to represent the shoalin temple, I would thing a karate gi is out of bad choice of outfit.
    Because he teaches Kempo, not Kung Fu. They call it "Shaolin" Kempo because they use some animal strikes in their forms, but otherwise it's just Kempo.

I understand he is currently taking lessons from Shi Guolin, which would be unnessecary if he possessed 'true' Shaolin knowledge like he claims.

Shaolin for some flashy movement and perhaps looking like I can fight will scare off any attackers, lol.
    That is perhaps the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Shi-(your real live Monk's name here) doesnt teach real shaolin-it is wu-shu. I have had people from his school come to us and other traditional Kung-Fu schools because they don't teach any application of their forms. Sure they do "san-shou"-but anybody can teach kick/punch. There are still some schools that teach the real deal-you have to shop around. E-mail me and I can send you to some real schools. But you have to be prepared to sweat, bruise, and work-for real. Otherwise don't call. Nobody wants a dilitante.

Post the schools on here, 10 kitty cats. Why do you want to keep things private?
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

ten kitty kats...

zing.

Meowrrr! (freakin fierce, huh?)
    Well, let's see..there's me, (duh-who'd a thunk it?) NYC Wing Chun in Flushing-Sifu Alan Lee, Sifu Jose Grados-teaches lots of hands on application, Sifu John Crescione-I consider Wing Chun and Hung-Ga traditional Siu-Lum. Any Yee's Hung-Ga school,there is a Northern Shaolin School in NYC-I need to look up his name, they do the ten siu-lum Hand sets-Gu Yu Chong's lineage.

Bagua todai-e-mail me, k?

TT-

Just out of curiousity...what do you say to people who tell you the Southern Temple never existed but was a fictional figment of heroic story writers?

Ten Tiger:

I am not interested in traveling to your school it is out of distance, I am looking to study within the NYC area, sorry. So far the information I got right not isnt so helpful. BUt Thank You for your concerns.

Go to google.com and do a search. What do you mean by "not comercial" and what's your price range? You've been pretty vaugue as to what you want.