Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nyc Schools??

I have had people from his school come to us and other traditional Kung-Fu schools because they don't teach any application of their forms.
    which monk?

Probably Yan Ming. It is well reported that he doesn't teach fighting applications in his forms.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I hear they are now auctioning monks off on ebay. Now everybody can have their very own (whether it's a "wushu" or "traditional" monk is just luck of the draw). Heck, I've heard that there really aren't ANY monks. It's all just a gimmick for a new Warner Brothers kung fu flick coming out this summer called Angry Golden Monkey Gets Revenge on Whiney Student.
    Blah, blah, blah...

The monks are all fakes...... they are just holograms....lol
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Holograms?
    ***SONIC KICK***

Now it's all gonna come out.....
    Blah, blah, blah...

I train with Hengxin 440 Laffayette. Come to the class and ask for Anthony. try it free and see. the website is Shaolinkungfutrainingcenter.com

Question, do the Monks teach the traditional Kung Fu, applications and all, if you specifically ask for it? Or do you get Modern Whu Shu no matter what? If it's all Modern Whu Shu, why bother with them?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

When some classmates of mine went to Houston to study with Shi Deshan, they told me they were getting traditional training. Wushu is an extra class that you have to pay extra for; however, fighting is an extra class, and so is qigong. So, the basic package only includes forms and weapons, as far as I know.

When we competed against the Houston Temple (Deshan's) at Taiji Legacy, a lot of their students only competed in the traditional categories as well.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 05-24-2003 at 02:33 PM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

For what it's worth I've done a couple of seminars with Shi Guolin's equivalent in the UK - Shi Yanzi.

He taught us the first part of Xiao Hong Quan and did explain applications of the moves (and they were extremely practical applications).

He then spent quite some time on fighting techniques - takedowns etc. I suppose you could say this was San Shou type stuff but it did build upon the techniques shown in Xiao Hong. Which, when you think about it, is pretty much the purpose of the form (to show you the techniques which you then build upon).

Also, he spent much time on the traditional concepts of power generation etc. Very much geared towards fighting.

My personal opinion is that this "monk" was actually very combat focused rather than Wushu based.

I've no idea about the US monks but don't necessarily believe the Wushu hype. Yanzi is pretty mean - no way would I mess.

Cheers
    PE
    "We had a thing to settle so I did him"
    Tamai, 43, was quoted by Police as saying.

Traditional or wushu doesn't matter. It is how hard you train.
    For the record I never learned any "hands on fighting" with my monk master. Funny though, when I went to Sifu Grados school and sparred i did extremely well to say the least. I still train there every Saturday as a supplement to my primary fake wushu training. lo
    Good luck with your "traditional training"lo
    Anthony

Hey Anthony...

WHAT IS UP?

Hey nice to hear you are still at it. VERY interestig comment re: the sparring...

Hope all is cool.

-sloan brother no.1

Well, I've toyed around with the NY monks a bit. Go to their schools and see what you think.

They are, if nothing else, entertaining.