Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this a real challenge to Shaloin-Do from the Shaolin temple?

reemul Guest

To HuangKaiVun

You wanna pay for my trip I'll be happy to throw down some classical shaolin kungfu against some
    Neo-temple inhabitants. I'll start with Hemming and move my way up.

how about we decide on a time that fits in my schedule, you buy the roundtrip plane ticket in my name and provide me with accommidations during my stay, and its ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!! you can come along as well, maybe you'll learn something.

Or maybe Hemming and the Shaolin Temple wish to sponser my trip. They can think of it as sort of a homecoming.

BRING THE NOISE!!

[This message was edited by reemul on 08-24-01 at 10:56 PM.]

HuangKaiVun Guest
    reemul, you have earned my respect!

You are willing to challenge the temple, win or lose.

As Ogami Itto said in "Lone Wolf and Cub", one must throw himself into the fire to pluck the chestnuts.

HuangKaiVun Guest
    One question, reemul.

Is your sifu a Buddhist?

The Willow Sword Guest

oh boy!

IT is ironic that REEMUL and myself agree about the shaolin temple and heming,,HOWEVER,,,,,its a billion chinese to one REEMUL,,,,Even I would not subject myself those overwhelming suicidal odds.
    Many Respects,Willow Sword

Whatever you think i am or want me to be,,, i am.
    Luke?! Luke?! dont give into hate. That leads to the dark side.
    Obi Wan Kenobi,,star wars, empire strikes back.

HuangKaiVun Guest
    reemul, I apologize for not having enough money to send you to NYC.

I'd suggest going against Shi YanMing (Shaolin's San Da champ in the early 90s) or Shi Guolin (The Iron Arhat).

I'd love to see your "classical shaolin kungfu" going against that of those two "Neo-temple inhabitants".

inpho Guest
    It's easy to make threats, Reemul, when you know no one will accept and send you to China.

If you don't mind my asking, which style do you train in and for how long have you been training? I haven't been paying attention to the other threads between you and (I think it was) Willow Sword so if you've said there I appologise.

Amitabha

reemul Guest

First of all

I have not made threats to anyone. I just don't cater to the expectations of people who think I'll lie down in the face those so called Shaolin practioners that hail from the Neo-temple. I have never been impressed with YanMing and the hell if I'll cowtow to him or anybody else from the Neo-temple. I don't wish bad things upon him, but I don't consider him to be the authority on Shaoiln kungfu. If we ever cross paths and he wants to throw, then its on.

Oh yeah if you want to know what I study, no disrespect, but go and read the other thread. I get tired of posting it.

HuangKaiVun Guest
    reemul, could you explain to us why you don't consider Shi Yan Ming to be the authority on Shaolin kung fu?

I'm pretty impressed with Shi Yan Ming myself. I'd love to hear your reasons as to why YOU aren't impressed with him - maybe I'm missing something.

What is it about your style (couldn't find it in your "Challenge" post) that makes it superior to what they do in the "Neo-Temple"?

Lost_Disciple Guest
    Regardless of my opinion of the new temple and the kung fu practised there, I gotta give props to Yan Ming. I haven't heard anything about him being a san da champ, just that he used to fight in the shaolin san da which is a bit different than the main san da org in china- but at least he fights. He also has an open challenge to anyone who wants to talk trash about him or his fellow monks. Dunno if he'll back it up, but those seem to be the words of someone who believes in what he's doing. Much respect.

Just some thoughts from an ignoramus.

inpho Guest
    reemul, *shrug* I'm not particularly interested, this is turning into another one of those "my style is better than your's" arguments and frankly I think we're all above that.

Amitabha

HuangKaiVun Guest
    Well, I'M interested.

reemul thinks his style is better than what's taught at the "Neo Temple".

Personally, I think that the Shaolin chuan taught at the "Neo Temple" is GREAT stuff.

If reemul's style is better, I want to know WHY so that I can do it myself.

reemul Guest

some clarity

I think Style superiority is an irrellevant concept. Whether my style is superior or not is not my concern. The foundation of my stance is What is Shaolin Kungfu and what is not. This is not to be confused with, what is superior to whatever else. Cotemporary Wushu athlets are impressive, however that does not make them Shaolin kungfu practioners. The new temple was resurected with Wushu practioners to make cash fro the government. There history of the Northern animal systems is non existant. They refer to forms where as we refer to whole systems Which leads me to believe they only have traces of whole systems at best. We have a whole system intact.

Personally I don't think fighting or challenging other systems will prove anything, but people have trespassed for too long on the Shaolin name.
    Some just to make money. Others try to redefine it and some just don't have a clue. I concede that the Neo-temple is still the Shaolin Temple(a place) and by default whatever MA that comes out of there is Shaolin Kunfu (redfined by its reconstruction having been disjointed from the masters), but it is not what it once was for that reason. As for the challenge with the SD people I see it as a matter of respect. If you're going to infringe upon the Shaolin name and try to redefine centuries of lineage to suite your needs, that seems to me to show a great deal of disrespect.

As for YanMing, he may be the authority on the Newly reconstructed disjointed Shaolin Kungfu but that is all.

joedoe Guest
    What makes you think that what they show the world is actually what they practice? How do you know they don't practice 'real' Shaolin kung fu away from the crowds?

I know that when I trained with some of the monks at the Southern Temple in Quanzhou, they excellent martial artists and there was nothing fake about their kung fu. What they show you may well be very different to what they train.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    What we do in life echoes in Eternity

reemul Guest

simple

The Shaolin masters left the country during the communist takeover. That is why I refer to the temple's material as disjointed.

HuangKaiVun Guest
    So what would be an example of "jointed" as opposed to "disjointed" kung fu, reemul?

From your posts, it seems that I have no idea what "real Shaolin kung fu" is all about. Yet you claim you have a "whole system intact".

What is this wonderful system? What is its name? Who are its practitioners (other than reemul?) What kind of techniques do they exhibit? What is its relation to Buddhism?

These are all questions I basically asked above - and would love answered. Could you help me, reemul?

And if the Shaolin-do people steal the forms from the monks and use them effectively, what's wrong with that?

Authentic or not, a technique is still a technique. If it came (was stolen) from Shaolin, it's Shaolin kung fu . . . period.