Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SARS in my city

Here's some facts about sars that are indidcative of the whole media slam being just nothing better to report and hyping a disease that will be highly unlikely to effect the greater part of humanity.

It is fatal in 4% of the people who acquire it. Those people are generally old and already have a compromised immune system from another disease usually.

Most of the people who contract it are health care workers who are in close quarters with people who are sick with it.

Most people recover from it but are a little weakened for about 1 month following their recovery dependant upon their own strength.

it will kill less people than aids, in fact, more people will die this year from smoking related illnesses than will die from sars in 10 years.

and finally, another small truism, you have a better chance of strangling yourself to death with your bedsheets while you sleep than you have of contracting and dieing from sars.

I see it as a lame attempt for the Mediacl associations to grab some limelight and credibility. NOthing "scary" has happened since Aids and I think the medical associations need to reposition themselves in the eyes of society as the demi gods they felt they once were.

boo and hiss to the media for playing this up to the level of paranoid garbage that they have.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

My God I hope that never happens again, the ignorant pratts!
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

3. Thumbs up

It has been said that roughly half of the elderly dies,nothing to fool around with.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

It has been said that roughly half of the elderly dies,nothing to fool around with.

Reply]
    Actually, 100% of the elderly die. They are old, old people die.

Seriously, has anyone ever heard of an old person who either has not died, or is not getting closer and closer to dieing? I mean, being old means your time is comming soon.

The only way to prevent old people form dying, is to never let them get born in the first place.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

5. Thumbs up

Yes,yes...I even know of young people dying but Iīm seriously concerned if you happened to miss my point,which I cannot believe.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Here's something scary about SARS.

In the city I have lived for the past 2 1/2 years, my GF can't go home to see her mom without first stopping at the hospital for inspection. There is a special entry and exit permit that has been issued to the residents of my housing complex. I am unable to return home to her because my job evaporated when the WHO warning came out. The busses are empty. The internet bars are closed. Nobody went home from school during the national holiday in May. Lower income shopkeepers are selling out their inventory and returning to the countryside to live as peasants because nobody is out shopping anymore.

Although the death rate is fairly low, when compared with the general virulence of the disease and the number of people who catch it, a lot of people may still die from it. Even if you don't die, being laid up with a 104 fever for a week and generally sick for a month is scary enough for me. I would still return to Xi'an in a flash but the economy has been destroyed by this thing. The timing is horrible. It can clamp down our airports and entertainment centers. It's impact is being felt.

You could actually say that 100% all of all people will die

percentages can fool ya

i was just about to add that chen.

my sociaology teacher told us that 100% of all people who eat apples will die.

i agree that the whole sars isssue has been severely uplayed too. i just worry about my daughter. any word on how kids deal with it?
    where's my beer?

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    i wish my sociology teacher was cool like that
    she did got beat up by a student last semester, that must have been awsome
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
    i was just about to add that chen.

my sociaology teacher told us that 100% of all people who eat apples will die.

i agree that the whole sars isssue has been severely uplayed too. i just worry about my daughter. any word on how kids deal with it?
    I had heard it affects kids differently to adults, and kids are more likely to survive.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

well thats good news then.
    where's my beer?