Thread: teacher student photos and position meaning

teacher student photos and position meaning

hey all...

well i guess im bored out of brain at 1am and a curious question came into my head...

its just a curious thought but

as u all would of seen pictures of a teacher and his student or disciple usually the teacher seated and the student standing the left OR right side..

my question is:

is there a "correct side"?
    is there any meaning as to which side the student is on .. ie. the teachers right or left side?
    if there are 4 or 5 students is there a meaning to the eg 5 students and the sifu 1,2,*sifu*,3,4,5

is there any thing like northern styles and southern styles customs..

proabbly no meaning all .. or is it? i don;t know.. im asking you

so are there any "customs" for this? in general?, in your particualr style?

Bored Curious Bro

the only thing i understand regarding getting a photo with your sifu is that in the traditional bai see photos, the sifu sits and the student stands. usually on the left or the right, i guess it depends on the sifu's personal cosmoligy.

This type of photo usually shows that the student is more than a student and is a "disciple" of the sifu and therefore will be afforded the closed door teachings that the sifu's style offers.

The rest are generally just photos. But usually you will see the sihings of a school sitting closest to the sifu (and simo if any) on either side of him.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The onl thin that I know, is that if the teacher is sitting with his legs spread wide, "showing his ballz" that means the student is receiving the full transmission. If the legs are closed, it means that only minor things are being taught.

I've always found that little tidbit very interesting for some reason.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Balls to the wall!!!!!!!
    " It is better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven"