Thread: Losing weight, older people

Losing weight, older people

Hey, my father wants to lose weight, thanks to me. He is about 98Kg I think, and has a serious belly. I told him he has to ride the bike machine 15 minutes before having breakfast. He has been doing this for a week now, no problems.

I just need to tripple check, I don't want him to overdo himself, or do unhealthy stuff. He is 51 yrs , it's not old, but not teenage either anymore. So if anyone has a good bike program for this age and weight, please let me known. All informative website urls are also welcome. He has also cut down on eating, he always takes two meals, I made him cut down to just one meal.

Thanks
    If you know of any good Sanshou movies on the web, let me know through PM !

Did you get him to check with his doctor before putting him on an exercise regime?

The advice I have had re diet is that cutting down the number of meals is not necessarily the best thing, and in fact can be counter-productive. While I am not 51 years old, I was advised to raise my food intake in the morning and ease it off in the evening. And exercising first thing in the morning on an empty stomach can be bad too.

You really need people like IronFist and SevenStar for advice though.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Let's hope they respond

go guohen, guo, guo, go guohen

Definately have your Dad get a physical before he does any major modifications.

The general rule is, in order to lose weight, you need to create a deficite of calories--either by change of diet or adding exercise--preferably both.

But, in the 50s is a good age to get a physical to be sure his cholesterol and blood pressure are fine.
    Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

he had a physical, and they just told him he should do more sports.. that's it

Only way to loose weight though exercize is to keep your heart rate up for over 20 mins.

If you raise your heart rate for less then 20 mins you are just burning sugar stored in your blood and muscles. Once you start going over 20 mins your body starts to burn stored fat=weight lose.

The good news is that as long as you keep your heart rate up you dont need to be exersizing for the whole time, so an old(er) guy like your father can ride his bike or run (or what ever) for 15 mins or till he runs out of breath then stop and walk or slow down the cycling for a min or so till he can go on again as long as his heart rate dose not go back to normal.

I feel the optimum time period for this type of thing in terms of pain/gain is about 45 mins but your ****her should work up to that slowly.

Its also worth noting that while hes training to lose weight that if hes to out of breath to chat hes trying to hard and should slow down.

Cut down on the carbs as well.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Then cycling is great. He should keep his heart rate between 110 and 127 beats per minute for a good cardio workout as well as helping to burn calories.

Also, taking in fewer calories will do more to lose weight than exercise alone.

What does his eating plan look like right now?
    Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

eating once a day lowers your Metabolism. It several small meals the size of your fist over the course of the day.

Go to http://www.bodyforlife.com
    They have great stuff.
    ***SONIC KICK***

Pretty much I would've said has been said by Robinf. And guile's right about eating once a day. I've ranted about that several times here.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter