Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: catch me up on Shaolin controversies?

lkfmdc Guest

catch me up on Shaolin controversies?

This is a completely serious post, as I just read this forum for the first time last night (I generally read the open forum and the southern). To show how long I've been around (sad) I remember when the Chinese government found Hai Deng and got him to try and re-establish Shaolin. Anyone remember this? the movie where at the end he stands on one finger? The tour around the world where the movie was shown in Chinatowns and then Hai Deng and students would do demonstrations. Then apparently he fell into disfavor? When he died his students were kicked out of Shaolin by the government?

Other than that, I only remember that they had that first, really horrible, "shaolin monk" tour that Wai HOng sponsored here in NYC. They did wushu sets straight out of "Shaolin Temple" the movie and when a couple of the traditional sifu asked them if they could chant, they couldn't. They opened the performance by just standing on stage while they played a tape of chanting.

I haven't kept up on the Shaolin controversies since then, which was quite a while ago obviously. Now it seems like a HUGE MESS. Anyone care to just explain the issues? Not to flame, just so I have a clue what is being so hotly debated here?

illusionfist Guest
    I just recently acquired the Hoi Tung tape and i wasn't impressed with it at all. Lots of the stuff Hoi Tung did at the end looked like mere camera tricks, especially when he stabbed his fingers into the sand bag. I mean the guys fingers couldn't even straighten, they were crooked the whole time. Then of course the whole wu shu team bit and blatant Jet Li propaganda wasn't all that cool either. I like how they said that the wushu team is now spreading shaolin all over the world.

I've heard the many stories about Hoi Tung and i know lots of people respected him, but that video IMHO didn't do him any justice.

Peace :D

phoenix-eye Guest
    What was the name of the video?

"We had a thing to settle so I did him"
    Tamai, 43, was quoted by Police as saying.

lkfmdc Guest
    Well, Hai Deng was a real Buddhist monk and had a good lineage that could be traced back to Shaolin (Lo Han I think) but he wasn't a "Shaolin monk" and certainly a lot of stuff in that film was hockey... remember "hitting" him with the three sectional and they were barely touching him. And the last scene was an obvious manipulation. It was arguably the start of the Shaolin problem, sort of real, sort of BS...

Anyway, anyone going to add more to this? We're stull talking about 10+ year old stuff and I'm curious to get caught up

HuangKaiVun Guest
    Fake or real, Hai Deng's videotape is an interesting study on the modern state of Shaolin.

Shaolin traditionally has been influenced by the governments that support it, and today is no different from any other time.

I don't disagree with anybody here on the wushu that was exhibited, and I'll bet that the current Shaolin monks would agree themselves!

"Real" Shaolin kung fu from a hardcore traditional combat perspective - definitely not!

"Real" Shaolin kung fu as it pertains to the state of Shaolin today - definitely

[This message was edited by HuangKaiVun on 08-27-01 at 08:15 AM.]

Shaolindynasty Guest
    Shaolin was never "traditional"

New classes New online Catalog
    www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net

mortal Guest
    I love the use of the word contemporary. Is that contemporary tai jutsu lol. Alot of lost souls in this country don't know the first thing about kung fu practice. It is not knowing a million fighting techniques and being generally out of shape. It is also about developing cardio. It is learning how to do your basics until they can be applied. For all you "real kung fu" people you should take karate. From what I could see there is nothing traditional about 9 out of 10 schools in this country. Traditional to me would be like standing in a horse stance for the first three years of training. Or kicking as high and mighty as you can for hours. No one in our fat ass country would ever do that. I'll stick to my contemporary wushu training with one of the fake monks. lolo
    Whats up shaolin dynasty? Cool site? You ever come to New York? More Training. More Chi!

MonkeySlap Too Guest
    Mortal,
    I've got a few students that would disagree with your opinion of Americans. They are fit, trained and ready to play.

Although, you are mostly right from what I have seen. Heck, I'm not fighting fit anymore, but that has more to do with desk jobs than desire.sigh.

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

mortal Guest
    I also have a desk job. It is hard to meet training schedules. By being in shape I mean really in shape. Not all bulked up from working out with weights. I am 29 and I train my little cousin(15) in shaolin. He would be the picture of physical fitness just by looking at him. Yet when we train he gets winded way too easily. My point is kung fu is about developing energy and fast twitch muscles. All I ever here about is applications. If the person you are fighting is not fatigued and you are, all the techniques and hidden applications won't save you. Sorry to make it sound like all Americans are out of shape. In my travels most are though.
    In a way I am defending wushu because everyone bashes it but few do it well. Yet everyone considers traditional to be all these applications. Someone in one of these forums said that they are disciple of this guy and blah blah blah. Anyway he said there was a tournament so he would have to get back in shape. He should have been in shape to begin with! More training!

xian_witch Guest

question for mortal

what does the training at the usa shaolin temple in manhattan for beginners consist of? is there a focus on chi development and breathing along with all the physical basics?how long does the average to semi-experienced person get put in horse stance?would you say the training there is a combination of both shaolin gong-fu and today's shaolin wu-shu?

harmonize the forces of heaven, earth, and hell.

MonkeySlap Too Guest

Mortal...

I'll go for that.

I agree with you completely, actually.

And frankly, I've noticed that my definition of out of shape is still better than the average person. (Although I'll admit to sucking wind after sparring a MMA guy last weekend. More footwork for me.)

But it is in the training. My group is 'traditional', but the training methodology is real - and therefore too boring for most people. But it does work at least from my emprical experiments ;).

I guess it goes to show the old adage is correct:

"In theory there is no differencve between theory and practice. In practice, there is."

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

Shaolindynasty Guest

Mortal

Is your philosophy the same as the USA Shaolin Temple if so.....I need to get to New York and join your school! Anyway I think you are right about people and their "magical applications that take no strength". Alot of Kungfu practitioners are out of shape.I agree totally with the USA Shaolin temples saying: More Chi! Train Harder! To bad most don't though.

mortal Guest
    Bridewithwhitehair I answered these questions on the"who here has trained with a monk" topic. Actually these questions are slightly different. Anyway here goes
    Cost 125 a month
    or 300 every 3 months
    or 1000 for the year

Chi development? I'll answer no. I think I know what definition of chi you are familiar with and Shi Yan Mings definition is different. He relates chi with energy and stamina he doesn't think it is mystical or makes power were there wasn't any. In other words he is more about the physical not the mystical internal side.
    Horse stance?
    He is not as stance oriented as alot of teachers. Nothing to worry about as far as him torturing beginners with a horse stance. He makes the class as a whole hold it for a minute. If you have to get up you can. Everyone seems able to do it though.
    Wushu or kung fu?
    Both hand in hand. before you get to the more advanced class he teaches you elementary long fist. It is a real endurance builder. "long" is a good description. I stiil can't do it and not be completely winded. The traditional is there as well. We also dp a good amount of pad work and lots of drills. class is 2 hours of torture but it pays you back 1000 fold in other ways.
    Monkeyslap too What do you train in? Your the teacher? Cool. What part of the country? Just curious. if you aren't that far maybe I could check out your school.
    Shaolin Dynasty beleive it or not I have quit training with Yan Ming. I am now training with Hengxin right around the corner. The classes with Yan Ming are intense but I felt I needed more personalized attention. Hengxin classes only have 6 people compared with Shi Yan Mings 60. Just keeping everyone updated lol. You should come out here and train sometime. There are fake ballet wushu monks everywhere!!!!!lol They all have one thing in common. Hard Training!!!!

Shaolindynasty Guest

Yeah

"There are fake ballet wushu monks everywhere!!!!!lol"

The ballet dance of Death!!!! I'd love to come to NY somtime and train, I hope that was a sincere offer cause I may take you up on it!!! As soon as I get the money to travel(things are tight now)I'll be there. When I go to NY I'd like to train with Yan Ming, Hengxin and Goulin. If nothing else just to see the differences in their training and philosophy.

mortal Guest
    Come anytime. All the "fake ballet wushu actor monks" have their own "modern choreographed routines lol" I love that. Then what is karate? Why aren't katas called modern choreographed routines. oh I forgot there ancient watered down wushu to begin with. I would like to come out there and see how you guys do things. Hengxin is trying to get a school going but for now it is in a dance studio lol. perfect place. He gives tons of attention and trains with you. He is a great ballerina.