Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Punch in the guts

Punch in the guts

How do you brace yourself to absorb an incoming punch/knee to the midsection? (not talking about blocks or evading)
    and what do you do to recover from being winded after a heavy blow?

I'm especially interested in input from the internal styles, not the guys who do 10000 sit ups and crunches a day.
    "Try to use that one legged crane stance when 50 sumo wrestlers are all around you, and then your going to get sumoed." - Ralek

Breathe out slowly while pushing out your abdomen. As in reverse breathing. Try not to have too much air in you when you get hit, just enough to maintain intra-abdominal pressure.

Thumbs up

Fa-jingīs advice is what I have got used to as "correct",which might be but the problem is that most people probably react a second after they have been hit.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Re: Punch in the guts

Originally posted by sticky fingers
    How do you brace yourself to absorb an incoming punch/knee to the midsection? (not talking about blocks or evading)
    and what do you do to recover from being winded after a heavy blow?

Dony get hit

Fa_jing's advice sounds good
    ***SONIC KICK***

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I was taught something called "1/3 breathing''

Breath from the abdomen but retain 1/3 of your total capacity at all times and exchanging the top 2/3 only.

When you get hit use the stored air to dissipate the blow by exhaling. By retaining the air you always have some to use vs. being caught by a blow at the bottom of your exhale.

Obviously the portions are approximate.

We used to practice by first taking back fists to the gut, then roundhouse kicks, then front kicks, then side kicks.

taking a kick was also used as a disciplinary measure too.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

The real Internal

take up Juko-Kai

taking a kick was also used as a disciplinary measure too.

And some people wonder why martial arts schools insurance are so high.......
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Have your gf punch you in the belly alot. You will soon feel less and less and one day you could take shots from real fighters.

I breath out the air and tense the muscles before impact. If your winded it is recomended to stretch out your back (ie keep a straight back and take a few deep breath)
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, Iīm just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Training in what is called Iron Shirt Qigong is one of the primary methods. It varies from system to system but invovles the reverse breathing but more importantily in uses the microcosmic orbit.

One way I have found to train this is to lay on your back and lift up your feet and your head and hold while doing the orbit. After being able to do this for a while place your feet on a chair and your head/shoulders on another chair and hold and breath. (very difficult) I have seen Yang Jwing Ming describe this in one of his books I think. Another way to do this is in what I think yoga call the bridge...resting on your toes and elbows while breathing.

An important thing to keep in mind while doing internal arts is that it is not magical. It does take muscle (or a certain amount of "hardness") to still do the techniques. Remember it is about balance though...only the amount of force required and not more.

Sho Pi

How do you brace yourself to absorb an incoming punch/knee to the midsection? (not talking about blocks or evading) and what do you do to recover from being winded after a heavy blow?
    Medicine ball work on the tummy helps.

So does exhaling as you strike. Tends to tighten things up a bit and keep from getting the breath knocked out of you.

Recovery? What recovery? You gut it out as best you can.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Kick the guy in the nuts during the split second after you get hit. By the time he recovers you should be fine. Then its back to square one. Or you could say something that makes him not want to continue beating your ass like, "You punk, now im going to have to get my gun."

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    And some people wonder why martial arts schools insurance are so high.......

didn't say it was a school.....
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Originally posted by Sho Pi
    place your feet on a chair and your head/shoulders on another chair and hold and breath. (very difficult)
    I hate to break it to all you guys but this "Iron Bridge" or whatever you want to call it works the lower back and not the abs at all. I'm not saying it's not a good exercise, I'm just saying that the stress is placed on the lower back (among other places like glutes and neck) and since the lower back is working against an opposing force the abs will, by definition, not come into play unless the person doing the exercise actively flexes them.

For example, if you flex your biceps normally both your biceps and triceps contract. If you do barbell or dumbell curls, however, and there is an outside force acting against the biceps, the triceps will be completely relaxed. When one muscle does work, its antagonist relaxes (unless you consciously flex it as well). Try it if you don't believe me.

Note: My argument is only valid if you were trying to say that the Iron Bridge exercise works the abs, which I assume, given the nature of this thread.

If not, then nevermind But the physiological prinicples I stated above are absolutely correct.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Umm it stretches the abs also don't for get that.
    Last edited by NorthernMantis; 05-19-2003 at 08:01 PM.

I'm especially interested in input from the internal styles, not the guys who do 10000 sit ups and crunches a day.

Hen and Ha. Or, counterattack their wrist with your belly.