Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Yoga

Yoga

Yoga is one of the best things a person can do, especially as a conditioning practice for other arts. Though it has many dimensions, including the spiritual, basically it is stretching. If a person is involved in any sport or physical endeavor it will greatly enhance what they are doing.

I do what has been coined Chinese Yoga, combining the practices of Tao Yin, Kai Men, Chi Kung, and Tso Chan.

I also do Tai Chi Chuan and Kung Fu San Soo. This is my first post on these forums, so hello all.
    Chuck

My Sifu says its the foutain of youth. I've been instructed to take it at some point in my life (the sooner the better), but I've been flooded with SC and SH. On top of all that it's time to enroll for next semester @ college.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

yoga is not 'basically stretching.' that's like saying martial arts are 'basically standing in a horsestance.' there is a huge difference between what is peddled around at fitness clubs and what is really and historically yoga. while a person could write all day on the meaning of yoga, i'll submit a rather easy explanation. yoga shares the same root as english's 'yoke.' but rather than yoking an animal to a plow, you are yoking yourself to God, or whatever your interpretation of God is. it is generally regarded as a method of joining in union with the divine. this could apply to any religious practice in and of itself. but, more popularly, yoga combines many different elements of spiritual practice into a single system. asthanga yoga, or eight limbed yoga, comprises 8 different practices that are deeply intertwined. asana (stretching and posing )is simply one limb of this yoga. hatha yoga (force or effort yoga) is probably what is thought of when a person mentions yoga. a great emphasis is placed upon asana and athletic feats, but still includes the other seven limbs of asthanga. purna yoga (complete yoga) also includes above practices, but also incorporates devotion, seva (service or creating justice) among other things to create a yoga more adaptable to well-rounded living. all of these yogas, on top of asana, include things like kriya, pranayama, restrictions, observations, dhyana, samadhi, as essential to the practice.

Yes, your right Yoga is all those things (which I alluded to by-the-way). For most people in the West though, they become involved in the stretching and meditative aspects of this art for health and well being, long before they ever realize the deepth of Indian Yoga.

As there are many limbs to what we call Yoga, as well, their are completely different traditions, like the Chinese tradition. This involves several arts. Some of these are Tao Yin, Kai Men, Chi Kung, Tso Chan, and even Tai Chi Chuan to a certain extent.
    Chuck

Yoga

Hey, any training is better than no training. Regardless of what kind of equipment we personally prefer, at least we're out there doing something.

So lets here more about your Yoga instruction. I've been thinking about getting one of those Yoga decks. What do you think?

Chief fox,

I would highly recommend yoga with martial arts rountine. When looking for school or teacher, treat it the same way you would in Martial arts. Check out everybody. There are MANY Mcdojo's in the yoga business these days as the yoga business is BIG business.

For yoga it really is about the teacher and the style you prefer. Finding one is like finding gold. Most studios have intro offers that are affordable and most gyms will have at least 1 decent yoga teacher these days. Try them a bunch, you may find you like a hard core flow class or a gentle yoga class (not my cup tea personally) or perhaps Bikram (hot yoga) will be to your liking.

When you go make sure the teacher is certified to teach. Many of teacher out there these day take a couple classes and consider themselves ready to teach. Kind of like a person going to a kung fu class and suddenly becoming a Sifu.

Good luck!

Anyone know anything about Yoga?

So my gf does yoga (they offer it at her job, which is awesome) and I want to start doing it with her (at home).

I don't know anything about yoga tho, and she's just a beginner, too. The first thing that comes to mind is that I would assume that yoga is like taiji/qigong in that probably the majority of teachers out there don't teach it correctly, that most of it is probably hippied and granolafied, etc. etc. Is this the case?

Also does yoga have any weird sex rules like qigong does?

All she's told me about her teacher is that she's an older woman who is in awesome shape and seems very knowledgeable. My gf also has some books with different postures, etc. But these books are just called "yoga" and don't specify a subtype, which brings me to my next point:

I know there are different kinds of yoga like hatha and kundalini, but I don't know what the differences are.

Teach me, kfm. What are things I should be aware of if I'm going to study yoga?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Yoga is a fabulous practice that will fine tune your body and your body awareness.

The primary focus in yoga is to replenish and nurture the spine. It is whole body work and involves moving and balance postures.

Most schools teach "Hatha" postures which are called "asanas"

moving postures are compound moves and flow from one asana to another whereas balance postures are moved into and then held for a set number of breaths.

Asanas vary in difficulty from easy through to extremely difficult.
    Don't make the error of comparing it to other practices such as qigongs and such as you only muddy the waters when doing so. Yes there are some similarities, but to delve into that will only derivate from practice.

Practice is generally going to cover the entire body with a variety of postures both moving and balanced.

there are many many publications and dvd/videos about it out there and some even have combined routines in them for you to start with and of course there are many instructors with varying levels of personal proficiency which of course has zero to do with your own practice.

I recommend works by Iyengar if you can find them as he is very comprehensive in his explanations and instruction. If you are going to join your gf, just go for it! I do it with my wife with some frequency and we very much enjoy it.

Yoga, is wide and deep in it's practices and yes there are practices that enhance ones sexual experience as there are practices on the other side of the spectrum that repair and heal maladies, while other routines maintain vitality and skeletal/muscular strength and always always always nurturing the health of the spinal column and the calmness of mind.

Enjoy!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Yoga

When well taught(important)- it is a superb approach to health, breathing, clarity, joint, ligament and postural work- and a good foundation for martial skill development. One of India's gifts to the world. Iyengar's books are not bad- the Light on Yoga is a good guide to the meaning of the postures. A good teacher will examine the student's capabilities and limits and pay attention to gradual and proper development.
    A bad teacher is-just that-bad.

I have had two very good yoga teachers. One was 97 (Vethathiri)when he died in South India- still flexible to the end.
    The other is about 70(Ray)- and I keep in touch with him when I need to-here in Phoenix.Both Indians. A Tamil and a Bengali.The first teacher understood kundalini well-the second knows his hatha and pranayama well.Its all complementary.Comes from the same roots- which includes Patanjali's yoga sastra

joy chaudhuri

cjurakpt Guest
    as a beginer dipping ones toe into the world of yoga, the one advantage you will have as a martial artist (especial CMA), is experience navigating an arcane and seemingly contradictory world of styles and personalities and bizarre claims; except at the end of the day they don't actually fight (well, neither does CMA, so that's actually the same too )

but seriously - if you are looking for a good, solid, down-to-earth approach, I strongly recommend Iyengar; for several reasons

1) teachers are all well trained, quality control is excellent in terms of who they certify (very comprehensive programs);

2) very physical approach, grounded in anatomy / phys, minimal interest in spiritual hokum; combines classical learning with contemporary understanding of body structure / function

3) designed for people of all levels - uses lots of props, straps, pillows, etc. to accommodate peeps who are not all pretzelly;

4) teacher is old, alive and healthy, practices what he preaches;

BTW, my wife has been doing his stuff for years, and she teaches it to her OBGYN patients as need arises;

GOOD yoga is a wonderful thing....I've been in and out of Yoga since college, still influences some of the things I do

However, finding GOOD yoga can be VERY HARD since it is as subject, if not MORE SO, to fraud and BS as TCMA are these days.....

In fact, the first person I did Yoga with, who at the time was considered a "big figure" turned out to be a total fraud!

Iyengar would be a good choice, one of the few real guru who is also very organized, modern in many respects, organized and international
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Everybody's already said it.

Just to add one thing: I've never had a bad experience with yoga. Even with some of the more New-Agey touchy-feely seminars and things, the worst you get is some chanting or meditational commentary. Oh, and the 'healing music', which always makes me want to kill everyone in the room.

The poses, although admittedly I've never progressed beyond beginner, have always felt good at the time and after. Plus, unlike MA, if you get a dodgy teacher, at least it doesn't mean you might get shanked!

Women friends of mine however, have told me some hokey stuff. This includes one who was borderline groped by the teacher who was supposedly 'adjusting her posture'. She wasn't imagining it either: it later came out that many others had had the same experience.

Another school tried to co-opt my then girlfriend (and later me) into a tantric (yoga) sex 'school'.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Find a Bikram Yoga Studio

Its a good discipline, no-nonsense,no BS(once you get past the hype about Bikram himself) I Just focus on what the asanas do for me. Ive been a Bikram practitioner off and on for about two years now. I love the practice. Does wonders for my body. I wouldnt make Bikram yoga a practice that you do all the time as it does take alot out of you heat wise(In Bikram Yoga you are doing the postures in a heated room and you sweat like a horse). The Bikram teachers say " oh you need to go 3 times a week for several months to get the full benefits" yada yada yada. But that is if you are doing nothing else with you life. As a supplement to other athletic activities, you can get away with doing Bikram once a week in addition to your other training.
    The other reason why i like Bikram Yoga is that there is not any of the hoaky new age stuff. you dont have some stoned white chick with dreads talking about your "inner lightness of being" blah blah blah. I hate that aspect of some yoga places i have been to. INstead you have a nice looking athletic woman talking you through the postures, helping you to correct your form and giving you praise when they see you are really trying and doing your best.

Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Bikram!? Isn't that the one that kicks the temperature up to 100 degrees and THEN work out?

Checked out a local Bikram place years ago and I couldn' even sit through the class watching. Had to go outside to cool off and I'm in Florida!

If you're lucky it will be Ashtanga, or Power Yoga. Anything else is pretty much hippie meditation and I did enough of that in the 70's.

But seriously, it's fun and different and relly good for your flexability and balance. Should compliment any CMA you're doing.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    Bikram!? Isn't that the one that kicks the temperature up to 100 degrees and THEN work out?

Checked out a local Bikram place years ago and I couldn' even sit through the class watching. Had to go outside to cool off and I'm in Florida!

If you're lucky it will be Ashtanga, or Power Yoga. Anything else is pretty much hippie meditation and I did enough of that in the 70's.

But seriously, it's fun and different and relly good for your flexability and balance. Should compliment any CMA you're doing.
    Ashtanga Yoga is not recommended for beginners. lol.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Ashtanga Yoga is not recommended for beginners. lol.
    I strongly support the practice of Ashtanga yoga - it has incalculably contributed to my PT practice...