Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Yoga

Quote Originally Posted by groovenugget View Post
    dont have alot of time, and hate weight training. trying to consolidate time and effort. what about yoga-not just stretching, but strengthening and pranayam as well. please discuss.
    I think it's a good idea. I can't say much about yoga specifically, but I believe there are some similarities with certain kinds of qigong that I'm more familiar with. Calm exercise routines with a relaxation component are more sustainable over the whole life course. Find a group you like and go for it. My 2€

Quote Originally Posted by pazman View Post
    she looks very enlightened...

What about push ups, sit ups, crunches, pull ups, squats and other body weight exercises that will get you strong?

I do them all the time as well as play with resistance bands, kettlebells, weight vest, tensions sets, along with weights.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

It's like everything else in that it depends on the school. You'll have to ask questions and visit the class. Hopefully you'll be able to tell if it's health club yoga or if you're dealing with a serious yogi by doing the above. If not, just go to the one that has the most hot chicks.

lol, yoga is not easier than weightlifting. In fact, it's exactly the opposite It consumes more time, requires more patience and has a high demand towards technical ability.

It takes time to learn yoga. A lot more time than it takes to learn to lift.

If you think Yoga will be easier, then...well...hahahahahahahahahahahaha, enjoy!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    lol, yoga is not easier than weightlifting. In fact, it's exactly the opposite It consumes more time, requires more patience and has a high demand towards technical ability.

It takes time to learn yoga. A lot more time than it takes to learn to lift.

If you think Yoga will be easier, then...well...hahahahahahahahahahahaha, enjoy!
    And it requires a massive amount of core strength. Yoga is FAR from easy.

Don't like weightlifting? A lot of yoga requires an ability to not only lift and hold your own body weight, but also do so in very difficult positions.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

I studied yoga for a spell

I studied yoga for a few years when I lived in SF. I spent a month at the Iyengar Institute in Pune, and a few more weeks at an ashram in Rishikesh. It's a great discipline. It really accelerated my kung fu and qigong training for a while, but it does create conflict on some levels.

I wrote an article on the yoga/martial arts connection based on an interview I did with B.K.S. Iyengar at in India back in our May 1999 issue: The Kung Fu of Yoga: A Winding Path to Self Realization. Initially, I was looking to make that Bodhidharma connection, as any researcher in the day was, but unable to find it, the article focused on misperceptions.

The topic of kung fu and yoga has come up plenty of times in our publications (a search of our site produces 37 results as of this writing). I'm sure it will come up again (in fact, I have a potential article addressing Indian martial arts in our queue right now) due to the Bodhidharma creation myth. But I feel we've scotched that snake a long time ago. For example see our May June 2010 cover story: Virgin Kung Fu. You might also check out this thread: Qigong vs. Yoga

Nevertheless, yoga is a profound discipline. Unfortunately, groovenugget, like any profound discipline, it takes a lot of time. So while I'd encourage anyone to pursue it, it isn't a shortcut. Quite the opposite, in fact.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Yoga applications!

I almost posted this on Successful Street Applications, but then thought it sat better here.
    2012/09/22 23:48 KST
    (LEAD) 'Korean Houdini' nabbed after six days on the run
    DAEGU, Sept. 22 (Yonhap) -- A robbery suspect who earned the nickname "Korean Houdini" after breaking out of prison through a very narrow cell window was nabbed Saturday after six days on the run, police said.

Choi Gab-bok, 50, was caught on the rooftop of an apartment building in Milyang, 386 kilometers southeast of Seoul, earlier in the day, said Daegu's Dongbu Police Station. Milyang is about 30 kilometers south from Daegu.

Upon a tipoff from a villager in Milyang, police raided an apartment building and arrested the suspect hiding in a cardboard box on rooftop, police officials said.

Choi, with a lean body, had escaped a police jail in Daegu last Monday. He reportedly applied a type of salve all over his body before squeezing through a 15-centimeter-high, 45-centimeter-wide food slot in the bars of a detention cell at the Daegu police station around 5 a.m. on Sept. 17, while all three police officers on duty slept. The story of the Houdini-style breakout has gripped the nation throughout this week.

A police investigator who reviewed footage from a prison surveillance camera told reporters that Choi who is 165 centimeters tall and weighs 52 kilograms escaped from the prison cell in less than a minute after moving flexibly like an octopus. Choi, who was initially detained on Sept. 12 on robbery charges, is known as a yoga master after improving his physical fitness during previous detentions totaling 23 years, according to his acquaintances and investigators.

On being arrested again, Choi insisted that he escaped to prove his innocence.

Officials at the Daegu police station said Choi was detained this time in a cell with a far smaller food slot measuring 11 cm in height and 102.5 cm in width.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Yoga

How many of you guys/gals practise Yoga as part of your training. I always wanted to try and a new place just opened up right by work. I know nothing about it though so any info would be appreciated. What to look for what not to look for. etc...

Thanks

I practice Yoga regularly.

It's like Kung Fu, simply begin and continue.

your knowledge will grow as you do it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Been doing hatha yoga for 41 years now, although I seriously injured my hip doing yoga about 4 1/2 years ago!

It was a stupid mistake, a momentary lapse in concentration that I am still paying for!

But only one injury in all that time is pretty good, and it saved me from many other injuries along the way.

I don't believe in yoga teachers though!

Thanks for the feedback. I might go in and give it a go. Looks like they are certified by the canadian alliance of yoga and are CYT - 200 under Hatha Yoga. I knid of figured there are frauds out there or those who don't know what they're doing, so i thought i'd ask.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    actually, I'd say that it's very important to choose judiciously when one takes up yoga, given the proliferation of unqualified people teaching these days and books written poorly on the topic;
    Normally, I would agree. But someone coming in from the void doesn't have much in the way of judiciousness regarding choice.

hence, "your knowledge will grow as you do it".

Kind of like how one discovers their teacher isn't really well versed in stuff after all and so on.

His passion and desire for knowledge as a student should override or align with the teacher eventually.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Been doing hatha yoga for 41 years now, although I seriously injured my hip doing yoga about 4 1/2 years ago!

It was a stupid mistake, a momentary lapse in concentration that I am still paying for!

But only one injury in all that time is pretty good, and it saved me from many other injuries along the way.

I don't believe in yoga teachers though!
    Ouch! How'd you hurt yourself?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.