Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heart Problems

Former castleva

I have to agree with you on the fact that many herbs (such as ephedra) can be harmful if taken in the wrong amounts, or if someone has a certain type of health condition. But as for banning the herb, well, I find that a little extreme. Again, I might be taking 17 deaths too lightly, but again what were the conditions surrounding the cause of death? Were there any pre-existing health conditions that should have been looked into before taking something such as ephedra? But to be honest, I don't have those answers either, just speculation based upon what effect ephedra has on the body. Then compared to the number of people world wide who use it on a daily basis. The numbers of problems associated with ephedra are very, very low. But, I am not going to beat a dead horse. These are just my humble opinions.

I might very well be sticking into nuances but natural does not equal safe.
    Hey, we do agree on something!

One thing that interests me is that this herb was supposed to have been used for asthma and respiratory infections.
    You are correct, Dr Chow uses it in a mixture of herbs called Decoction of Little Blue Dragon, which he uses for asthma. Though, if there is a heart condition he replaces it with Sileris (but doubled in measurement). Since, I am not a TCM herbalist by far, so what purpose it has on asthma, I can't tell you honestly.
    John Widener

'Understand your limits, but never limit your understanding'.

" I may disapprove of what you say,
    but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us

A TCM doctor probably wouldnt recomend ephedra for someone with a bad heart, and probably not as a performance enhancer. It may be good for some things, but other things should be taken into account.
    Bless you