Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-dairy sources of calcium?

Non-dairy sources of calcium?

What are good, natural sources of calcium other than dairy products?

A friend of mine is lactose intolerant and wants to boost her calcium intake without supplements - i.e. through her regular food intake.

I know that spinach is high in calcium, as are many dark green leaves. Any other suggestions?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Arrow Food

~ You might want to try some oranges or broth made with cow bones

Peace

Sin Loi

Yi Kan, Beng Xue

SO GOOD! (soy milk)
    And if I'm not mistaken, Broccoli has calcium in it.
    Also seasame seed bagels have calcium (the seasame seeds), although i'm sure not enough to give the amounts you need.

They have calcium vitamins

Lots of differnt companies are putting added calcium into their breakfast foods.

Thanks guys. Chime in with any other suggestions if you can.

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

Both canned salmon and sardines have a good amount of calcium, provided that you eat the bones.
    Big egos are fragile.

Where the violent see only violence, the skillfull can see skill.

"You cannot solve a problem with the same level of thinking that existed when it was created." Albert Einstein

Here are some that are not just dark collards and greens-

Almonds, cabbage, figs, oats, prunes, sesame seeds, soybeans (very good for women), tofu, and if she has a sweet tooth blackstrap molasses.

The amino acid lysine is needed for calcium absorption so in her diet she should if possible take a lysine amino acid supplement or eat eggs, fish, lima beans, potatoes, red meat, soy products (again soy is excellent for the ladys.)
    Regards

EarthRise has an exellent soy-base energy shake, called Light & Fit. Can be mixed with soy milk, skim milk or fuit juice, and it's lactos free. it has 100% of most every thing for a 2000 cal diet. Most women need a1200-1500 cal diet plan, so it actually gives you as much good stuff as a multi vitamin. Also has no refined sugar, only natural glucos, and is good for hypoglysimics like me for stabalizing blood sugar levels.

Interesting, thanks guys.

BJ - Is soy not so good for guys, or just better for ladies and OK for men? Slight tangent from the topic, but your post made me wonder.

It's very good for men, too. But there are enzymes in soy that are critical for women's health, and most women don't get enough of them. Knda like the myth that eggs aren't good for you because of the colesteral. But most of the colesteral is the kind your body actually needs to build good neural pathways and fight the bad colesteral. AND they have amino acids that Pregnant women need to help reduce certain birth defects.

Originally posted by Becca
    It's very good for men, too. But there are enzymes in soy that are critical for women's health, and most women don't get enough of them. Knda like the myth that eggs aren't good for you because of the colesteral. But most of the colesteral is the kind your body actually needs to build good neural pathways and fight the bad colesteral. AND they have amino acids that Pregnant women need to help reduce certain birth defects.
    Oh, right. Cool.

I hate the whole egg fear thing. I think people have a lot more to fear from ****genised pasteurised milk than they do from eggs daily. Eggs rule for protein and nutrients! And I'm a big fan of soy milk too, so I'm glad it's good for blokes! "So Good" is my favourite brand.

Originally posted by Spark
    SO GOOD! (soy milk)
    And if I'm not mistaken, Broccoli has calcium in it.
    Also seasame seed bagels have calcium (the seasame seeds), although i'm sure not enough to give the amounts you need.
    Broccoli is good
    ***SONIC KICK***

Soy Isoflavone has compounds which can be classified as phytoestrogens. One cup of of soybeans provides about 300 mg of phytoestrogens.

These compounds in studies have shown promise in cancer prevention, cholesterol reduction, alleviation of menopausal symptoms, and prevention of osteoporosis.

I get my drink from Spirutein. My fav being Rasberry or Vanilla.
    Regards

Lots of good suggestions already. I'd only add that while spinach has lots of calcium, it is not very accessible to your body. I'm travelling right now so I can't get the specifics on this but I've heard it from several reputable sources. Other leafy greens don't have the same problem though.

I've been hearing very good things lately about coral calcium- many different companies provide it, it comes from a coral reef in I think Okinawa- I believe its supposed to be highly absorbable- do a search for it on the internet, you should get lots of hits.