Thread: Better Luck Tomorrow

Blog Entries

Better Luck Tomorrow

By the way, you should see this movie. I know it has nothing to do with martial arts, but it's one of the few times you get to see people of Asian descent on a movie screen who isn't a one dimensional martial arts charicature.

Most of the other times you'll see Asians on the movie screens in America, they'll be in stereotyped roles.

Plus, this is a good movie!

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

You got a link for that movie?

BTW, a lot of fine arts theaters do play some asian films, but you're absolutely right, not enough theaters play the good ones.

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, this was picked up by MTV and has a nationwide release. It's pretty significant in the history of Asian Americans in the media/arts. The first all Asian American cast for a movie with as a nationwide, Hollywood release.

The movie's website is here:
    http://www.betterlucktomorrow.com/

Some reviews are here:
    http://www.metacritic.com/film/title...rlucktomorrow/

An open letter, from the director of Better Luck Tomorrow, Justin Lin:
    http://www.asianamericanfilm.com/archives/000020.html

Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

i saw it a couple weeks ago, it's pretty good. I hope it sells well. that way Chow Yun Fat can get back to being a bad-ass.
    -------------------------------------------
    "It is a good thing to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this."
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo, from Hagakure

Donny yen rules

Anyone seen Ballistic Kiss?
    With Donnie Yen, no Martial Arts, but what a great film!
    "If we dont worry then nothing shall worry us, only then shall we be of sound mind"

Better Luck Tommorow was a great movie,
    makes you wonder how all those asian kids survive study so much

Saw the trailer but it looks a bit dull to me, I'll have to see it sometime.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Blog Entries
    I know, I saw the trailer too and wasn't impressed, considering all the hype and grassroots promotion. But when i saw it I realized they had to do that b/c if they revelaed anything in the trailer, it would lose the impact. This movie may leave lasting images in your head, let's just put it that way. Well, I guess it's a little different for me because I am Asian American.

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Originally posted by SanSoo Student
    makes you wonder how all those asian kids survive study so much
    the real asian nerds are snobby and have no life. if you're taking four AP classes in high school and want to do well, you don't have time to sell drugs, or even have a job. well, you could, but sleep and food would have to be sacrificed.

I was one of those who didn't give a flying **** any way.
    -------------------------------------------
    "It is a good thing to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this."
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo, from Hagakure

yutyeesam

-
    like, violent images?
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

if yu liked that, yu should definately check out spacked out

I got it on vcd for $5
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu