Thread: * How does 1 Root themself?

PATIENT MONK Guest

* How does 1 Root themself?

Recently my teacher has been telling me my stances are unstable, and i need 2 root myself. Im not 2 clear on how 2 do so , but if anyone does please enlighten me... :rolleyes:

Jockwurst Guest

Rooting

First of all, every different system has different concepts involving stances. I will give you my take on the internal arts stances. Rooting means just that - you are a though roots are growing from your feet into the ground. This is the basis for the immovable stance talked about in many styles. Although this is an idealized concept, it means that you are near perfectly balanced in that your center of gravity is at the Dan Tien or just below your navl. The pull of gravity, with your body in alignment(spine waist, legs etc..) locks your body in place and provides the platform for generating immense power. A quick test is as follows: while in your stance if you are wavering or offbalance or keep having to reset your balance then you are not properly rooted. Also if when you move you become offbalanced(I realize that moving itself is an act of offbalancing) in that a simple push can send you stumbling then you need to work on your rooting. Try to think of it as your feet grabbing the ground. When you move, it will be powerful and fluid never losing your balance.

RENEGADE_MONK Guest
    First of you need to be shown how to root..its not something you just tell someone.

Rooting or to be rooted is developed from stance training month's of stance training

here is a recent thread that was discussed on training the horse. I'll post some others for you if I can find them

http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/Open...8081968372&p=1

EARTH DRAGON Guest
    To root also means to drop your chi! 2 practices of internal stlyes practice lightness to become very light i.e to move effortlessly when attacked "like a feather", the other is rooting i.e to become unmoveable when pushed, "like a tree" these are possible through chi transfering energy. hard to explain harder to perform but standing meditation will help after a few months of daily training.

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Nexus Guest
    How many hours of chi kung do you do in an average day Earth Dragon?

- Nexus

<font size="1">"Time, space, the whole universe - just an illusion! Often said, philosophically verifiable, even scientifically explainable. It's the <font color="blue">'just'</font> which makes the honest mind go crazy and the <font color="blue">ego</font> go berserk." - Hans Taeger</font>

EARTH DRAGON Guest

response

To be quite honest I dont train nearly as much as I use to now that Im teaching, But on an average I do about 3-5 hours a week, thats including tai chi not just qigong.I used to train every morning and before I went to bed for nearly three years but I got married bought a house and opened up another school so my training has taken a back seat to my busier lifestlye.thanks for asking, how often do you train? what type of qigong/tai chi do you do ?

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Anarcho Guest
    Umm...Am I the only Aussie who's LMAO at this?

dunbarj01 Guest
    No,

But the topic was raised seriously so I'm keeping my mouth shut. :D

lee69 Guest
    hahahaha!!!!!

sorry couldnt help it (im an aussie)

sh*t happens

Fish of Fury Guest
    i crack up every time i see the title

__________________________________________________ _________________________ "I'm just trying to lull you into a genuine sense of security!"

lee69 Guest
    i could list a few ways in which you could root yourself but i will refrane

sh*t happens

YMS Guest
    lol
    root oneself? *looks down below, then looks at ms righty and ms lefty*

Just practice the horse stance to begin with then add in visualisation techniques. This takes quite a while to develop though.

RaVeR

Sharky Guest
    we use the same expression over here sometimes *s*******

"Spectacular immaculate raps massacre cats like dracula bats, I'm snappin yer back cos I'm attackin the wack, duckin yer rapid attack, **** packin a gat, the mechanic of rap'll give you panic attacks with his Satanical raps." - Guess who.