Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ANy Kung-Fuers wanna fight MMA - for real?

ANy Kung-Fuers wanna fight MMA - for real?

And I dont mean video games. If so why? And if not, why not?

Well i'm just simply drawn to it. I like sparring hard and i like competing = NHB fighting.

But IMHO i think that NHB is totaly it's own ballgame, i can't just keep on training kung fu techniques that are meant to end a fight fast and think that i can use that in the ring. So i figured that i'l join some sort of MMA club soon, where they train for the NHB ring. Here i can train techniques that are meant for the NHB ring and see what part of my kung fu can be used within NHB rules. And i get to train groundwork, which i think is like 70% of NHB fighting. At least here in the finnish scene, where we have pretty restrictive rules for strikers in most tournaments (shooto rules), for example you can only hit with the knuckles of your hand (no palms, knifehands etc.), no elbows.
    I hope i'l be fighting NHB some years from now

We use a # of different rules when we spar..... depends on what we are working on, or for. We do go to the ground sometimes..... Sometimes we concentrate on kicking, sometimes punching, sometimes close quarter elbows and knees, sometimes all of it.....

I'm not looking to train to fight competitively right now, enjoying sparring and forms... would rather not limit myself to the desk at work with injuries during the summer.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

I doubt I'd do that well.

There are some tough guys doing NHB.
    Either they wish they could go pro (and they're training for that opportunity) or they actually are pro and seeing a little money out of it.
    Hell I'd say there are almost more guys training for NHB than there are spectators!

It's a real participation sport but even most of those guys cannot get in an event! They have very few outlets to compete and they ARE keen to do it and are training for that chance.

Back when I did Muay Thai, all of us were training hard and waiting for our shot - keen for a slot anywhere on any amateur card. I would have been ****ed off if some kung fu guy waltzed in and got a match - someone who isn't even into the sport.

Right now with that many guys busting their ass training NHB, I'd be ashamed to take their spot.
    And no one would offer it to me. It'd be a waste of a match. I make a good tomato can for an up and comer.

Truth is I am only an amateur in kungfu. I doubt I'd be that competitive. There's no real avenues for a guy like me. Without a low level amateur style sport, Gil can't even get a lick of the brass ring (simpson's reference).

I think if someone set up a less exclusive event, me and most guys I know wouldn't mind giving it a try. Right now I think the step up is too big. It's not my scene in the first place.

I'm pretty comfortable being nobody and just learning kungfu.

Good post Edmund. Pleasantly surprising.

Anyone else think a "Kung fu-er" shoul d be able to do well?

It's a real participation sport but even most of those guys cannot get in an event! They have very few outlets to compete and they ARE keen to do it and are training for that chance.
    Not exactly true. There are many promoters looking for fighters in events of all levels. Plenty of opportunity.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

I agree with merry, there is no shortage of people who want to put on these events.

the problem truly is what would the quality of that event be if all you had was jimmy haymaker vs billy grabby?

It will solidify over time, it already is doing so. There certainly weren't many of these "fight for real" contests in the western world outside of traditional boxing and wrestling and the UFC and NHB type events are relativly new to the scene.

Competition isn't exactly an old mans game either. Guys in the 40's and 50's while they make great teachers and still have a lot of go would be thoroughly surprising to see take a match of these proportions. There are one or two to be sure, but "fight for real" in the ring or on the street is not an old mans game. The more gentenmanly matches and tests of skill, wherein the fight is still for real, but more like a chess match.

Now, before you go off on the whole "old vs young" thing, yes I am aware of Larry Holmes and other great fighters who were in their primne when most were past it at that age and I personally know some guys up in years that are deadly dudes. I'm speaking of the overall scope.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Depends on where you are at. The nhb, mma thing is starting to take off out here. It's not what I train for. We have some guys in my school that do, and do ok. Not my cup of tea at this time, I enjoy the competition, but I also like being just a "training partner."
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

If you want it bad enough, you'll travel. Some promoters will pay traveling expenses--in fact, most do.

If you approach it like a weekend tournament, you'll lose. In other words "oh, if it's close, I'll do it," is going to get your ass kicked in.

Kung Lek-- Ring experience is ring experience. There's a reason no boxing coach lets a 0-0 guy in with a 0-6 fighter... So even if it's jimmy the tough guy haymaker against johnny the frat boy tackle whattaguy, it's still getting used to crowds, nerves and lights.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

it's still getting used to crowds, nerves and lights.
    i get butterflies just thinking about it ...

i would do pretty good... standup is pretty OK... ground game is OK enuff to get back on my feet... unless dude is like Div 1 calibre... i could bang... might give it a try in 04...
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

it's still getting used to crowds, nerves and lights.
    absolutely true. Often times the venue will defeat the fighter

I've seen it with stage fright etc etc. It's no different in fighting...especially if your mom and your girlfriend is watching!

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

If you want it bad enough, you'll travel. Some promoters will pay traveling expenses--in fact, most do.

If you approach it like a weekend tournament, you'll lose. In other words "oh, if it's close, I'll do it," is going to get your ass kicked in.

Kung Lek-- Ring experience is ring experience. There's a reason no boxing coach lets a 0-0 guy in with a 0-6 fighter... So even if it's jimmy the tough guy haymaker against johnny the frat boy tackle whattaguy, it's still getting used to crowds, nerves and lights.
    But I don't want it bad at all.

The "scene" for 0-0 fighters is pretty much similar to a toughman comp. The promotors don't want a weekend tournament! But I do. I got no problem getting my ass kicked in. I don't mind losing. But as the tomato can on the card of an event geared towards pulling spectators, I don't feel I'd add any value.

Maybe they should make a weekend tournament.
    I think they'd get a lot of interest from a really different crowd. Currently these events pull a certain crowd and fighters and that is not going to change much. For people outside that scene, they don't want to watch or compete very much.

You know, there are some pancrase tournaments and something called sport jiujitsu (I think) that have tournament formats that are a little less intensive. That might do the trick

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    You know, there are some pancrase tournaments and something called sport jiujitsu (I think) that have tournament formats that are a little less intensive. That might do the trick

yes, there is. I'm working towards one now. The rules are a little funky with 3 specific phases of the bout and striking is only allowed on your feet (1st phase) and certain types of strikes to the head are not allowed.

you can win by points or submission but you have to submit them 3 times in the 8 min round to win. if they are up points (from striking, mainly) at the end of the match and you submitted them twice then they still win.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

If I wasn't such a newbie and in terrible shape, yes, I'd love to try it out.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.