Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ANy Kung-Fuers wanna fight MMA - for real?

I was going to fight in mma this september, but i f*cked my shoulder.
    Reason I was going to was so I could hit people hard, and in the face.
    My ground game is enough to win most the time, if they succeed in taking me off my feet.

i LOOOOOVE striking tho, use mostly my hands with lots of sweeps.

If I was indestructable or at least could heal from all injuries within a few months time, I would glady fight MMA. It would be far and away the best sport.

However, my experience on even a lower level has shown that this is not the case.

MMA for everyman

I am not a KFu'er, instead I am a pankration guy, but with not much experience (year of training) I entered a MMA tournament in Vancouver BC.

Tiger Balm tournament (lots of Kung Fu stuff there too including San Shou, forms and weapons), but there was also a pankration event -

Open to all styles, rules are no elbows or knees to head, no knees or striking to the head on ground, shinpads must be worn.

There were novice and advanced divisions, also weight categories. This event was good for me - lots of competition at my own level, I did OK and no serious injuries.

Sport Jiujitsu is similar, but a bit more restrictive in the rules. I am not knowledgeable about the tournament scene, but I would guess there are a number of events like these available in larger centres, especially it seems the west coast. You get some serious competition experience, but don't have to "step in the ring" yet. Its really MMA for everyman.

Check that out, I would have loved to see some crazy "monkey style" stuff in that event, I think it would have been cool to watch or spar against.
    Yeah thats MR. Sleazy to you!

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    The guys I'm training with now gave me a tape of the 98 World Sport JJ tournemant. It was pretty cool but at the time way too much sport 'kumite' action as you could win by points or submition. I saw a bunch of fast guys bouncing in and out to score quick body or head shots. The takedowns weren't all that impressive mainly being grabs and pulls with the bodyweight. Better grapplers were being beaten on points by really, really quick movers. I'm told that things have changed a bit since 98 and the kumite guys aren't winning as much as the grapplers have gotten a better handle on deflecting the punches on the way to the clinch.

We are training to evade and/or deflect the incoming attacks; deliver strikes on the way in and get the takedown. You can get points for each succesful strike and the takedown, but the other guy can get points on you if he hits you, even if you get the takedown.

wow, that's not a very cohesive explanation...
    well, I'm still trying to get a grasp of the ruleset, hope it made sense.

I think if you search for IJJF you can find a written copy of the rules.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Guys,

Those events sound cool - "MMA for everyman".
    Do they use those fingerless gloves?

the sport jujitsu uses just those cotton padded things on the hands and the cotton shin instep protectors. so even though it's supposed to not be totally a full contact event...................
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

the other guy can get points on you if he hits you, even if you get the takedown.
    This is why sparring "light contact," when you are testing out your "striking defenses" to grappling is a ****-poor idea. You have NO idea if it will really change things, but a "light" session treats it like it will! Then it leads to the above lame ass assumptions.

Once you know, of course, you can go back and do it light... but you gotta KNOW!
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

MP

I'm not sure what you meant in your reference to my post. Where is the assumption that a strike will stop a grappling attack?

I agree with what you are saying, I think. But I was talking specifically about the ruleset for sport jujutsu, which is mainly point based. I don't like the ruleset. I think a takedown should be worth more points IF THE RULESET IS POINT BASED.

I related my experience and knowledge of the competition because several guys were curious about what else was out there. It's not a NHB event but I think it can be looked at like a bridge to NHB if that is what someone is interested in.

The reason that a throw does not give more points is because it will not be a fight ender. In the street a good throw could end a fight. But IJJF didnt want one throw end a match like an Ippon in Judo. This way you have to be a well rounded fighter to win.

In IJJF you have a limited time on the ground, so a submission may not be possible becuase you dont have enough time like a NHB event.

The fighting includes kicking and punching, throws, take downs and ground fighting.

Sport JJ is a lot of fun. its not big enough here in the US to find the great fighters (in sport JJ) like in Europe.

Any style can enter, just have to fight by the rules (As with any sport).

There is also a DUO (technique) division. It is a competition of techniques. The judges tell you what kind of attack and you respond to it.

The fighting part is not absolutly realistic, light to heavy contact, no elbows, and other areas you can point out. But it is fighting and training in the areas of striking, throwing and ground fighting in an alive arena.

I would reccomend it as a great training tool. Aslo I would reccomend fighting at the national tournaments because not many people do right now and you have a really good chance of winning. (Now you can tell your friends that you are a national JJ champion)

Go to www.usjjf.org and order one of the championship tapes. I like the 1998, its laid out cleaner. Its just $20.00

On the other hand if you wanted to have the information to train like the NHB guys, but what will work to really beat the snot out of everyone, go to www.straightblastgym.com and order Funtional JKD, the first series. Everyone should own a copy of this no matter what style you do.

Matt covers how to train properly (the most important part), great striking training, the clinch was exceptionl and ground fighting.

He adresses elbows effectivly, fighting with shoes on, eye strikes... But they do fight in NHB and lots of training info on being a well rounded NHB fighter.

Nah Oso, I didn't think you did. I was saying, more as a general concept, that this is how stupid ideas get propagated in the MA's. Somebody says "Oh, well I think this is how I'd deal with that," they practice it light contact against a partner at medium or slow speed (and that partner has never done 'x' technique in his/her life) and then they decide, "yeah..that should work."

Then, they TEACH it as a counter or defense.

And the dumb idea gets propagated!

Harder Contact=less dumb ideas
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

DK, thanks for the additional input, i've only been training by those rules for a couple of months and we don't spar often enough for me to get them worked out. I've also not been around this particular school long enough to get invited to any of the private workouts...soon I hope. Overall, I think the Sport Jujitsu rules are ok, and fun to work with and it is pretty much the hardest training school in town...except for mine of course...I just only have beginners so no real workout for me...bonus is that several of the guys I train with there have competed at the nationals and one went to worlds a couple of years ago.

MP, ok, didn't mean to be all stiff in response, just didn't understand what you meant.

Originally posted by Merryprankster
    it's still getting used to crowds, nerves and lights.

Nerves, ok. But lights and crowds and whatnot are pretty quickly forgotten once the **** gets going.

Hey, some people get nervous about different things.

Originally posted by Merryprankster
    Hey, some people get nervous about different things.
    I was afraid you'd say that.