Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should we police our own?

Should we police our own?

Just about everyone agrees that styles like Chung Moo, Shaolin-Do, Temple Kung Fu, etc. are complete shams and seriously damage the reputation of genuine CMA's, right?

Well, should we police these people ourselves, the old fashioned way. i.e. Go to the school and demand traidional gong sau wherein you fight the school's senior students. If you defeat them, you then fight the school's teacher. If you defeat him then the school has to close down.

What do you think? Surely it's up to us to protect the integrity of our arts?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

That ain't a bad idea. Unfortunately we now live in a pussified society where that won't be allowed to happen, and you will most likely just have the cops called on you.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Yeah, but if we arranged with the cops that we would look after our own, perhaps we could sort something out.

Besides, it would be fun to kick Sin The's arse, even if you did get busted for it.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

There are a lot of people whose arses would be fun to kick
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

Indeed!

Hey.

Maybe we could be agents of the FTC and see if what they do matches what they advertise??

I still think Temple Kung Fu rules

What's FTC?

Originally posted by Serpent
    What's FTC?
    Fair
    Trade
    Commission.

Aha. ACCC over here. Good idea!

i definatly think some "policing" should be done. however, you will not see me doing it.

sometimes it is best just to "shun" the "un-desirables".

You need to cut the serpants head off. There are many organizations just dying to sell a rank certificate that says you can do anything.

Go to Phil Porter and say you have your own style of American Kick Butt Kung Fu, and he will do a rank certificate and instructor certificate.

And there are a hundred other organizations willing to do the same, make you a Soke or whatever you want to be called.

Next is how do you standardize? Look at Villari/USSD... They teach Shaolin Kempo Karate. It is Villaris creation. There is no Shaolin in it, but Villari makes it clear that it is his style. So do you walk in and say "You dont teach real Shaolin!" and the guy agrees with you because its Villaris style. What do you do next?

On the other hand if Someone hangs a sign and states he teaches real KF as passed down to him from won hung guy, then you have at least a point.

People dont always know whats legitamate from whats not. Thats why there should be governing bodies in the styles. (To be one in reality you have to be in the world games, Olympics... But thats another discussion)

By haveing an official body, if you dont have a certificate hanging from them, then you are not legitamate.

As an example if you are a TKD Black Belt you want to be with ITF or WTF, In Judo, USJA, USJF, In Karate US National Karate Federation, In Ju-Jitsu US Ju-Jitsu Federation. Yudo US Yudo Federation, Hapkido ...

I realize that if you have a certificate from a recognized master who is known to be the leader of the style, it does add legitamacy, but life would be easier if people held that certificate with one from a major governing organization.

Then when someone claims their Sifu/master/soke is legitamate, you ask why the international organizations dont recognize them.

I think this is a great idea.
    Shun everyone with questionable history/teaching methods/etc.
    Let's see...questionable history:
    Anyone that traces their lineage back to the southern shaolin temple...anyone not wearing traditional Chinese uniforms...anyone with non-Chinese characters in the name (sorry JKD guys)...anyone who traces their lineage back to a questionable character in Chinese history (like Ta Mo?)...anyone on a power trip (there goes MOST the traditional teachers I've heard of)...etc.

In the end, we have MAYBE 5% of the current number of CMA teachers that would qualify...and they greatly resemble ancient Chinese history reinactment actors. Oh yeah, the other 95% of the schools will still say that what the "real" teachers are doing is junk. I love it, I say go for it.

Edit: DK's idea has merit, but will never happen. Getting CMA teachers to go the same way is like "herding cats".
    Last edited by Radhnoti; 05-22-2003 at 09:03 AM.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

I think you SHOULD police.
    And start with shaolin do.
    And start with the school in san antonio on perrin beitel.
    Do that.
    bahahaha.
    WD comes down this summer. He will be able to attest to the ability of SD.
    maybe not the school... but I promise you I will whoop some azz.