Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All you happy Buddhists

All you happy Buddhists

An artical in this months New Scientist magazine showing that buddhists can affect there own level of happyness by medatation not only during the time that they are medatating but also in the long term,

"Activity in the left prefrontal lobe indicates positive emotions and good mood, whereas persistant activity in the right prefrontal lobes indicates negative emotion. The first Buddhist practitioner studied by Davidson showed more left prefrontal lobe activity than anyone he had ever stuided before"

And so on.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

I would think that would apply to many forms of meditators and not just those of the buddhist variety.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Thumbs up

Sounds a bit "pop".
    The sunset´s setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Thumbs up

The sunset´s setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Thumbs up

It's coz the Buddha was telling the punchline to a joke nobody has told yet...

Koan: "What was the original joke?"
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

cool
    ***SONIC KICK***

original article?

Can you link us to the original article? Or at least provide a proper biblio reference...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

yahoo

They needed a study to know this....lol
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

They needed a study to make such an observation without just relying on opinion or personal bias, which are subjective. Objective studies that control for extraneous variables uncover real relationships between variables, like meditation to brain activity.

Shambala Sun had an article about this a couple of issues ago. They brought a monk into the lab and he engaged in different types of meditation that each lit up different parts of the brain.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

But this article is saying that the happy areas of the brain stay lit up even when the bubdhist is not meditating.

Was a lot more to it than that but im not about to type it all out.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Unhappy

No wonder I've been increasingly depressed since I stopped meditating regularly. I wonder if there's an element of withdrawal involved in losing that quality.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

dwid,
    possibly,

cowboy, as if I wasn't being sarcastic.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Oops! I'm sorry! Sometimes my idiocy brilliantly shines through!

Smile

Thats a really interesting observation, dwid.

Logicaly speaking, your brain is balancing out- giving more 'energy' to the right hemisphere [which is sorta more naturally disposed towards pessimism, IIRC].

Question: do you dream more, or less? Been more emotional, etc? Is there any history of depression or seasonal depression in your family? [you don't have to answer any of that, but esp. the last, if you don't want to].

Reason I ask: its been said that children born into depression-history families typically have higher than average activity in the right frontal lobe. Meditatiion typically stimulates the left, and trains that.

NP: you're an artist right? Are you more right brained, do you think? Curious, not sarcastic. I know I'm more naturally disposed towards that.
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب