Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: politics ruining GongFu

politics ruining GongFu

I would like to see the politics in the Gongfu schools come to an end, in South Africa we can't have a national tournament because of some bad people in charge of the fediration(no names will be given but it doesn't matter). Now the martial Arts Authority has a bad view of Chinese MA in SA and it's bad news for all of us.

Most people here think CMA are total crap and don't even want make an effort.
    Why can't we all just get along and help each other benefit to be able to grow in our training?

Hope this will change!
    Have a great day
    "If we dont worry then nothing shall worry us, only then shall we be of sound mind"

You have made a post that just looks bitter but does not give any real info.......would you care to expand on what you have said?
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

He is probably talking about Sifu Jurgens, a disciple of Shi Yan Ming, who supposedly created an organization in South Africa, held a tournament in which he hand-picked the fighters, which he beat, then declared himseld world champion of the World Knockdown Title, or something like that.

At least, that's the what some are saying. I don't know anything else about it.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Yep… pile-of-tricks suck… fu(ks up everyones good time… all the bickering… favoritism… (sorry in advance) but can't we all just get along so we can just beat each other up in peace and harmony…
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Mmm, another SA MArtist here?

What I mean is, its sad how the groups of schools kind of mend together, if "this school" is coming "were" not taking part...

Has anyone been to a Tournament in SA? The last allright one was in 2001(I think- at NASREC) and that was a friendly.

When are we going to see something as big as the Karate tournaments?
    "If we dont worry then nothing shall worry us, only then shall we be of sound mind"

When are we going to see something as big as the Karate tournaments?
    I don't know the popularity of cma down there, but I'd guess never.

The situation is only midly better here in the US, especially if you are a national level competitor (going for the US team). You almost have to take sides at times.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Actually, there has been a problem with politics in South Africa for a good while.

Even back in the late 1980s, there were a couple of groups vying for control.

There was then one group...they actually fielded a team to come to the US for a couple of competitions...the Team members were great folks...my wife and I are actually still in touch via mail with a couple of them....but the heads of the team....another story.

They made a big deal of having black members on their team...but the team leads still treated those members poorly. This WAS before the government change....

But, I KNOW what you mean about the politics...and the only thing that cures politics is for people to get involved and work to stop it...and that means that you have to actually deal with those that are causing the problem.

Is there any martial art that hasn't been ruined by politics at one time or another...?
    K. Mark Hoover

I heard of an ugly split in the Tai Bo world.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

I shall revenge my brothers lost in the Tai Bo revolution!

yup, The team that went to USA, I know some of those, they were robbed of money and stuck in a cheap hotel, the money intended for them and their accomodation went to the pockets of the organisers...

But i agree, we have to face them, and start a clean slate. Its just going to take some time and effort to convince the critical that were not so bad!

I'm not bitter about anything, I just want the world to know about the state of the organisation here, maybe the right person will hear about it and may be able to do something...

Thanx all for joining in!
    have a great day!

Thumbs up This is a job for.....

Wushu in the Olympics!!!

heh. Any takers? Seriously, I wonder what sort of effect having wushu as an olympic sport would have on its acceptance in places like SA?
    Most people here think CMA are total crap and don't even want make an effort.
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

Wushu in olimpics...

yup, in SA that's all it's about, if the sport can bring some exposure to our little spot in Dark Africa. He he

Yes, the wushu division are quite popular,though the level of skill is not as high(I'm referring to international level)

Traditional styles suffer a bit, if it's not politics scattering everyone appart it's just bad organising and lack of interest.

I'm not a pesimist, rather a idealist... I want to see traditional styles featuring a bit, good quality gongfu!

There are quite some talent here, very good masters aswell, but getting to international tournaments is so expensive even unaffordable!

Maybe some attention will come with the Wheel of life show coming in September(I heard) I would love to see that!

Was that the events done by Jeff Bolt?

If they got put up a a cheap hotel that REALLY sucks.

I KNOW for a fact that Jeff had negotiated a very good room rate with the hotel / convention center where the event was held. They did NOT mind people sharing rooms...and I KNOW that there were some competitors that had 4 to a room...making it around $25 a night WITH tax...I think the room rate we got was $89 a night...and that is a VERY nice hotel GW Marriott or such...where the normal room rate is around $189 a night...and the competition was in the same hotel...they had a HUGE convention center.

So if the SA team was put in a crappy hotel, that was definitely the Team leader's doing.

About the only event I have been to where I thought the accomodations were bad was the ones done by Anthony Goh in Baltimore. I mean, why would I want to PAY to stay in a cheap college dorm room....and pay a VERY high price for that as well.... those rooms did not have any lighting, no lamps...impossible to read in the room. They had not amenities...the TV downstairs was broken. The bathroom was shared between two rooms and it was impossible to really lock your room when you left...talk about lack of security for your things...and NO safe deposit. The dorm WAS known for having theft problems.

I did that ONE year...the next year, I found my own hotel and paid about $7 - $10 a night more...and had TV, privacy, quiet, and air conditioning that WORKED.

What on earth do politics and such wishwash have to do with your training?

Unless you make the choice to get involved or let it bother your hands, I dont understand what other peoples garbage has to do with your skill...

strike!

um

Do you really think tournaments and what other (uninformed or deluded) people think of your kung fu matters or has any importance. Do kung fu for yourself, not for others or for recognition.