Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Wong Fei Hung

I can't speak for all schools, but it can be viewed as a concept:

Misdirection, or one movement hiding another. It can physically be a snap kick to the groin, but could also be several other low line leg disruptions/kicks. I don't know that there is one agreed upon opinion on this however.
    -Golden Arms-

I also would say its a concept and not a certain kick.. the hand distract the eyes so you wont see the kick coming...

What I currently understand is that yes, theres a single kick in Fu Hok that has a feint/setup hand movement with a kick which is done while being hidden from view. But often there are techniques outside the forms. The single technique in the form is to show the way it is done, outside the form there can be many ways of performing the technique.

PS: I might have a completely different opinion in a year when I progressed more >

Wong Fei Hung

It appears that is all the info on Wong Fei Hung available. The rumor that some information about him may be hidden within certain Hung Gar circles is probably
    unreliable. For now I'll continue my research, but if anyone reading this hears
    information in the schools or in print, pray let me know.
    As to the No Shadow kick, I heard somewhere that it was a sidekick to the knee
    from the backleg, passing behind the standing one, but I cannot verify.
    This is a great forum, by the way.

All that exists is a general history of WFH. There are alot of folk tales and various novels that have created his myth.

Possibly the only verifiable sources would have been his direct students, which are all dead.

there cannot even be a consensus on what he taught or knew, how can we expect his biography to be accurate.

Your closest links to his past would be through some of his grand students and possibly the WFH's grandchildren who still live in HK today.

If you really try to check sources you'll only find that the author of a paticular article got their information either from another article or by hearsay.

good luck in your search

Wong fei Hung

Thank you, Erik. I'll just forge ahead and pray that I'm creating a WFH that is as accurate as possible.

Wong Fei Hung book?

Anybody know of a biography about Wong Fei Hung? I'm not looking for a How-to book, more of a history of the man and his life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
    Anybody know of a biography about Wong Fei Hung? I'm not looking for a How-to book, more of a history of the man and his life.

Thanks
    There are countless legends.
    There are hundreds of movies.
    There is a mention in every book ever written about Hung Gar.

Funny you should mention it, I've never heard of a deliberately biographical piece on just him though.

In fact, many are still troubled about who he was and some will argue about a photo that is extant which portrays his 10th son but many are convinced it is him because someone said this son looked most like him. Probably a lost in translation thing due to the huge amount of mutually unintelligible dialects up the coast of China.

There is a statue in existence and a memorial to him in or near his home town. I'm sure there are Hung Gar guys here who know a piece or two about the man.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 02-23-2010 at 12:41 PM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Mrs. Wong Fei Hung

You can see her doing the Tiger/Crane and chain whip on YouTube. It's grainy but great to watch.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by kfman5F View Post
    You can see her doing the Tiger/Crane and chain whip on YouTube. It's grainy but great to watch.
    yes, that is Mok Gwai-Lan, Wong Fei-Hung's fourth wife.
    I idolize him just for that. He is like the Woody Allen of Kung-Fu.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Smile

Stanley, yep there are books written of the master Wong Fei Hung but not many. Fortunately, I had the opportunity to come across two such good books a year ago. One was published in 2005, and the other in 2007. The first one is based on previous documents of the master on his background and events. The author then comments on the truthfulness of the event at the end of each chapter. The second book is written by a student of Mok Gwai-Lan, Wong Fei Hung's fourth wife. It has more coverage on the martial art techniques of the master, and the tales of the master's wife. Both books share a lot in stories as they are based on more or less the same materials. I consider them both as good readings. It will be nice if there is printing in English later on.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

most reliable is one of the biographies of Wong Feihung written by Jyu Yujai, a disciple of Lam Saiwing, which was published in 1930's. most of the book written later are just made up stories.

KC, i have the one written by a student of Mok Gwailan. which one is the second one, please, do you have a Chinese title, author, photo of cover or something? thank you!
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

Thank You all for the responses, seems like I'm out of luck unless I learn Chinese. What about General Guan, any books in english about him?

PM,

The second book's title is 俠醫黃飛鴻 : 南少林洪拳的一代武學大師 , and its author is
    鄧富泉. He is a student of Mok Gwai Lan. I like the style of the book because it takes a third person objective look of the life of the Master, and with politeness too. For example, the content lists the life of Wong Fei Hung from the beginning as a MA student, instructor, physician, army official, and retiree till the end. The materials of which the two books based upon were written before 1950s. Logic suggests that the stories are mostly true also.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

KC, thnx, i meant the other one, please, this one i know

please let me know

your help is appreciated, thank you!
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com