Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wong Fei Hung

L D S Guest
    Thanks bean curd,

I will check it with Frank Yee and Chiu Chi Ling if they and other Sifu will make an annual event out of this.

Focus on Hung Kuen and Wong Fei Hung. It's the same as focusing on training and our glorious history.
    That's a good thing.

Ling

CPS Guest
    Ling,

Thanks for the link.
    Ha ha, now everybody knows where I stole some of the pics.
    Anyway I already added the page a month ago to my links page. And the bable fish sounds familiar too, whom did I email it to again????

But more important. Translations of some parts will be on my website in the next update (still to come).

As for the tournament. I wish all participants all the best there. I hope I can be there in future too.

There is a picture on this website that says it is Wong Fey Hung

The photo is often misrepresented as Huang Fei Hung. It is his son and not him.

Wong Fei Hung (Huang Fei Hong) was born in 1847 (8 years after the invention of the camera) and died in 1924. We can see that the quality of this picture surpasses the quality of pictures that are otherwise found in this time period. Even some of the photos of Lam Tsai Wing are of lesser quality!

The only "picture" that I have seen of Huang Fei Hung is a rather simple etching. It is said that there are no remaining photos of Master Huang. However there is a statue in Fushan that depicts Master Huang. The statue and the etching bear resemblance to each other but not to that photo.

The clue to the "error" is in the quality of the photo. Huang Fei Hung lived in a time when Cameras were still in their infancy and developmental stage. The quality of the photo would not be as good as it is in the picture of his son.

He did apparently have a few children. It is currently said that his succesor was Lam Tsai Wing. Few refute this, but it is known that Hung Gar spread far and wide outside of the lineage that runs from Lam Tsai Wing to Lam Jo to Lam Chun Fai as the current Lineage holder.

Hung Gar is by far one of the premier and most popular styles of Southern Sil Lum Kung Fu in the world today.

peace
    Last edited by Kung Lek; 05-04-2002 at 11:58 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

WFH's Succesor

It is currently said that his succesor was Lam Tsai Wing. Few refute this, but it is known that Hung Gar spread far and wide outside of the lineage that runs from Lam Tsai Wing to Lam Jo to Lam Chun Fai as the current Lineage holder.
    Kung Lek, you not being a part of the Hung Family should choose your words wisely. There is no mention outside of the Lam Family that Wong Fei Hung ever appointed anyone as his succesor. To make such and accusation is not wise. You being outside of the recent problems with the different lineages of Hung Ga has nothing to gain by promoting the Lam's, but by postin such non-sense which is not related to the original topic of this post can ignite another fire, which at this time still burns to a certain extent.

The Lam Family is the current lineage holder of their on lineage and not the other lineages that extend from Wong Fei Hung. Please, next time just stick to the topic at hand and don't speak about things that do not concern you or your lineage.

Peace

Je Lei Sifu
    The Southern Fist Subdues The Fierce Mountain Tiger

Jei Li

I have no argument with you and I am in no way interested in the politics surrounding the chinese martial arts.
    I am one person voicing only my own opinion.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

tsk tsk tsk

Oh looky who has made themselves look like an idiot again?

Looks like Kungsters video fu has shown us the err of our ways once again.

By the way Kungy, hows that fake kempofied-stolen from Wing Lam- lineage going these days?

Gotta love how she pretends to speak as an authority on a subject it knows nothing about; then when called on such b.s. declares "it's my personal opinion" or "my style is EXACTLY like it".

Let us recite the oath of the Hungabee...
    "I love Hung Gar,
    Oh how I wish I could be Hung Gar,
    I know I'll never get far,
    Trying to claim that i'm Hung Gar."

And before someone tries busting my ba||s again about Seng Au, thinking because he's the only Hawaiian kung fu sifu they've ever heard of - that I'm an automatic student.... please remember this:

I AM A HUNGABEE

That means I don't do the Holy Hung.

Don't get too comfy...

As a newcomer to Hung Gar (5 months), I find it to be really cool that there is a "family" atmosphere among practitioners. However, it seems that there is some sort of dispute between different lineages. Forgive me for my ignorance, but perhaps someone could give a little info as to what this stems from. I'm sensing a little tension here.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    OK, I'll be real breif 'cause I don't feel like getting up and grabbing my notebook; There are many families under the Banner "Hung" Hung Hei Guen had other students besides Luk Ah Choy, who taught Wong Kay-Ying and Wong Fei-Hung, etc these lineages are referred to as village Hung Kuen, Those who trace their lineage to Wong Fei-Hung are called Hung-Ga or Guongdong Hung-Ga. Wong Fei-Hung had several students, most noteworthy are Lam Sai-Wing and Tang Fung, who each have their own seperate lineages, which also split down the line depending on which succesive generation you are from.
    Bottom line; we are all Hung family, we all agree to disagree.
    Question: How many Hung-Ga practitioners does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
    Answer: Three-one to put it in, and the other two to say, "That's good, we do it a little different"
    -Just my two cents- DF and Beancurd are the pros on this topic and I differ to them. "HIT IT, DF !"

Bottom line, if any new Hung Ga players not familiar with the event that had happened, don't worry about it or you can ask your sifu. There is an old saying, no need to air out the family dirty laundries for everyone to see or something like that.

Second, there has been relative peace among the families so far and let keep it that way. There has been some consrtuctive talks among the different families even though the progress is slow but it is heading to a better direction. Most important of all, there is no need to concern ourselve with none family members opinion.
    Those who are authorize to speak on behalf of each of the different clan has not raise any issue or cause any disruption to the peace. So don't let any outsiders that are not part of the family stir up any unnecessary wave.

DF

ps Brother Je Lei Sifu, we know where your heart is, no need to get upset.

Actually Kung Lek's sifu does Hak Fu Pai (southern Black Tiger) which can be considered Hung Fist. Therefore Kung Lek is part of the Hung family even though he may not do the same sets as you do in Hung Gar (Hung Ga, Hung Kuen etc.). Some accounts say one of the systems WFH knew was Hak Fu Pai.

Nick Lo, take your dislike of Kung Lek up with him without being insulting to his teacher. For your edification, I know his teacher and he is respected by the elders of Chinatown where he teaches (and not being Chinese or actually full Chinese, that is no easy task). He's a nice guy, treats other people fair even if they have not done so to him. But you had better pray you don't ever have to fight him as he is one of the deadliest people I know when it comes to real combat.

Misunderstanding

By no means was I upset with Kung Lek, I just don't wish to see things posting which some seem to get there energy and base their knowledge on.

As I have stated, I would like for this to stay as if was originally posted. The question about the pic of WFH. All additional things not related does not apply here.

Kung Lek,

In no way was I trying to offend you, I just wanted to remind you of what we have learned from the past. It is hard to convey words in their proper context through typed dialogue. I wish the best for you

DF,

Of course you know where my heart is, peace to you.

Peace

Je Lei Sifu
    The Southern Fist Subdues The Fierce Mountain Tiger

Ten Tigers and DF, thanks for the info. I guess there are multiple paths to the same destination. Its all good. Besides, its the journey that we are in it for not the destination itself. Going back to the original topic, I read somewhere that all the pictures of the real Wong Fei Hung were destroyed when his house burned down. However, he supposedly had a son that was the spitting image of him. I guess the picture of his son and the statue are the closest we're going to get. It would be cool though, to put a face with the legend.

PM, that link comes up "not found". It may just be my server. I dunno.