Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: weight does not equal resistance

weight does not equal resistance

Or so says a personal trainer at 24 hr fitness. I saw 2 girls working on calves the other night on one of those seated calve raise machines. One girl was on the machine while the other one was standing behind pressing down on the seat to give more resistance. I turn to them and said,
    "you know, you could just add more weight." They turn to me and said,
    "but we don't want to get big. If we add weight, we'll get big. So we just add resistance." They must have seen the look on my face because then they added, "That's what Matt told us and Matt's our god."
    "Who's matt?"
    "He's our personal trainer."

Is that not messed up or what?
    Mindlessness is the enemy...

let it go. your chances of convincing them otherwise are slim to none, and your chances of gettign this matt to admit his lack of brilliance are even less.

just avoid gym bunnies and ignore any PT about whom you get a negative gut feeling.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Haha, I've never heard a good thing about 24 Hour Fitness.

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

similar in nature

I'm currently helping a friend in my platoon train for airborne school(that's the Army school that teaches you to throw yourself out of a plane and live). She has to be able to do 5 pull ups( I think) and she currently can't do one all the way...but she's close. Anecdote and question... we were coming out of the gym with another girl we went with, who asked us what we had done and I explained we did bench and deads for 3x5 at heavy weight to build strength but not size. She seems to think that heavy weight of any kind will build size and strength and not just strength. I didn't feel like arguing over it but shook my head to myself. Anyway, the discussion did make me contmplate just how good the advice I was giving my friend was so if you don't mind, a little feedback on the following routine would be appreciated. The goals are to build strength and bodyweight endurance without size(although slimming and toning would be appreciated) and to build pull up ability(primary emphasis) with core strength so as to enable her to carry a rucksack(60lbs or so) and land without breaking her back.
    Mon
    squats 3x5 at increasing weight
    walking lunges
    horse stance
    Tues
    Bench, deads 3x5 at increasing weight
    abs(with and without weight)

it just alternates like that six days a week or so(when we have time) with morning PT (mon, wed. fri-run tues/wed-push ups and sit ups)

any thoughts?
    -ZC
    "Whole body become secret weapon." -Uncle explaining the benefits of Kung Fu.

"The thorn *****s only those who would harm the rose."

Re: similar in nature

Originally posted by zen_celt
    She seems to think that heavy weight of any kind will build size and strength and not just strength. I didn't feel like arguing over it but shook my head to myself.
    Ask her then, how do they have 130 lbs powerlifters who can DL a lot more than most bodybuilders.

Size is dependent upon volume, intensity, and diet. 2 or 3 sets of 5 with lots of rest will not build size (unless you got some crazy genes)

IronFist

She seems to think that heavy weight of any kind will build size and strength and not just strength.
    Zen_celt, doesn't the FM 21-20 say something against this? If it does, just show it to her.
    Let people make mistakes; it's the easiest way to learn and remember what not to do.

Smile ZC

Tell her the guy that was the wind dummy on the flight the first female to graduate airborne school jumped from says your plan is a good one and she should do it. (that would be me) Her response should be "Yes Sergeant, Airborne!"
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

Thanks IronFist

Iron Thread- LMAO

Guohuen- I'll do that

-ZC
    "Whole body become secret weapon." -Uncle explaining the benefits of Kung Fu.

"The thorn *****s only those who would harm the rose."

heh

I make it a personal point not to take advice from someone unless they have proven in some way to be a bad @$$ in some area they are giving advice. When i can bench press 325 at 18 and a 25 year that can only get 250 and ive seen him in the gym for the last year, and we are of the same build tells me im doing the bench wrong. Its a pretty good chance hes a moron or has the worst genetics in the universe and im not going to listen to him? oh by the way that was a true story, its hard not to laugh in peoples faces sometimes.
    If you flow like water than no obstacle is infallable.

LOL. I love these stories!

zen_celt - your program seems pretty good to me, given the goals.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

zen_celt,
    Your program is lacking. She needs to build core strength if she wants to be all around strong.

For abs, I'm assuming you're doing basic crunch and twist with and without weight.

Try having her do hanging leg raises, without swinging her body. Work up to 3 or 4 X 12. This will also improve her grip. And, no, she won't get "man hands" by doing it--she'll just be stronger.

Try pushups with going off to one side (so go down, push up and rotate one side up lifting that arm off the floor into the air). Go both ways.

Try bench single arm--with dumbells. She'll feel her abs work--if she doesn't have her take her feet off the floor.

Do you have her walking lunge sideways and backwards--and not just forward? How about turning lunges?

Are you assisting her in doing chins so that her body at least is used to the motion?
    Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Matt's a pimp...
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Re: heh

Originally posted by ryuujin
    When i can bench press 325 at 18 and
    Holy crap. How much do you weigh?

IronFist

I am matt, good to see my namesake pimpin the gym bunnies with his ass backwards advice.

Any workout you half ass isnt going to work. Gaining size depends on diet, and your training, but along with diet:
    Heavy weight, lower reps = Mass building
    Lighter weigh, higher reps = toning muscle

Any weight lifting is going to build strength....

Uhh...SD, you got the mass building and toning switched around.