Thread: 2003 July/August

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries

2003 July/August

Animal styles, my kind of print. That's a fierce image on the front cover. It has niceness to it.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

The new issue came out?!

Mine hasn't arrived yet
    I have a signature.

The new issue is just out.

You can always see our new covers on our home page. We'll have this up on at www.martialartsmart.com shortly.

You'll have to tell me what you think of the content as soon as you've read it.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Ok, I got it the day after I posted this. I was leaving for work and as I was leaving I went and checked the mail, saw the package and ripped it open as I hopped into my car (nicknamed the Mantis Claw because it looks like a claw from the side) and began flipping through it.

All in all its a nice issue. Better than the last 2 issues. I really didn't care for that internal arts issue with that Grandmaster Tu fellow. Most of the articles it seemed in that issue were internal arts stuff. The last issue was a step up though and this issue I like. I enjoy the articles on all the animals, Pa Kua and Xingyi, plus the 5 Animals of Shaolin, etc.

I enjoyed the (another) article on the Southern Shaolin Temple. Good article, I don't mind reading more about that. I haven't had the chance to read the article about Helen Liang yet though. The article and interview on Crane styles are also nice, but haven't been able to read through completely.

The article on Shaolin 5 Animals Form by Don Hamby was also good. I enjoy seeing his articles too in the magazine.

I won't touch page 64-69 on the Freddy Kruger gloves.

All in all I liked the issue. I have nothing against internal arts (I did enjoy Grandmaster Tu's thing on page 106) however, an all internal or all external issue would strike me as, well, boring. keep up the good work. Can't wait `til next issue.
    I have a signature.

Thanks for your coments!

Our animal issues are always popular. This one is a bit tricky since it has a woman on it, and those tend not to do as well on the newsstand. But on the flip side, Helen's liuhe bafa and snake videos are some of the top sellers, so she has sell power.

As for the content, we have more on Southern Shaolin coming at you very soon. I liked the way that the two crane articles contrasted with each other. I'd be curious what you think about the Hung Men article - it's been going over most people's heads, I think. Many Canton Hung people are too stuck in their own world view to consider Taiwan, but anyone who's done any research at all on it has given us strong positive support on that one.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I fell asleep reading the Hung Men article, 3 times. Sorry man, I just couldn't find them interesting. Not dissing the stuff, just isn't my cup of tea.
    I have a signature.

I thought the HelenLiang story was great and inspiring, however I think in the future sonetime you should do a story about Liu He ba fa. I don't know about anyone else, but that is an art I know nothing about. Overall good issue! heping

hung and liu

pb - Yeah, it was pretty entrenched in Chinese culture, so if you don't know much about that, I could see where it could be boring. I always worry about the pieces that really a lot on the chinese characters in them. Also pieces that depend on some knowledge of politics and history can be dry if you're not into it. Did you read both parts?

bht - We did a piece on LHBF in Dec Jan 1998 and of course, there's always Helen's video.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ba gua & xing yi

Hi Gene, nice articles in the new issue about ba gua and xing yi. Frank allen's articles are always enjoyable. It's cool that he demo'ed the form too, it's nice to have the full form along with the writing. Glad to have the discussion of the xing yi animals as well.
    Only thing I'd like to see more of is applications with each article. Good work.

-Jess O

thanks rockwood

I've been trying to increase the applications myself. Glad to know some one out there appreciates it! It's always a balance between how much text and how many photos. Plus many applicationa are difficult to capture on film. But we're plugging at it!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gene- the Helen Liang story was a very good one. Thanks much, Joy Chaudhuri

12. Helen Liang's story

Dear Kung Fu Qigong,

I write to you as a qigong enthusiast and a general practioner of
    medicine. Just to say my deep appreciation of the article about Helen Liang's victory over cancer in your 2003 July/August issue. Written with sensibility, it raises many questions for which modern medicine doesn't always have the responses.

Helen whishes that her experience profit to others. I can say that a part of her dream is actually realized as her courage and
    determination reported in that article now inspire a few cancerous people practising qigong with me.

Please continue to report such stories about the health benefits of qigong and martial arts. People need to be informed about it.

Claude Fournier, md
    Frampton, Quebec, Canada.

Master Helen Liang Demonstration

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips