Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need...food!

Need...food!

I'm currently living in an Army barracks and trying to gain muscle size and strength at the same time. The problem is, I have no cooking facilities and cannot have a heat source(hot plate, hibachi...) in my room. I get three Army square meals a day which are generally not too bad in terms of health but they can be a bit on the greasy side. I do have some myoplex and a fridge filled with veggies but that's about it. I find that I get so hungry at night(our last cafeteria meal is available between 5-6:30pm) that I'm ordering pizza 2-3 times a week just to eat since tuna fish gets old after a while. I do have access to a small fridge and a microwave, can opener, and the three cafeteria meals.
    Any tips/suggestioons as to how to get my nurition/caloric needs without the ability to cook?
    Thanks in advance
    -ZC
    "Whole body become secret weapon." -Uncle explaining the benefits of Kung Fu.

"The thorn *****s only those who would harm the rose."

Good late night snack = celery with peanutbutter. Do you know any one who as an oven inbase housing or off-base? Sausage-eggs are good hot, warm or cold and keep well in the fridge. And lots of protien to build bulk. Recepe is simple, as well:

1 lb sausage
    1 c bread crumbs
    4 hard boiled eggs, peeled.

Mix sausage and bread crumbs. Divide into 4 equal portions, then cover each egg with 1 ball of sausage mix. Bake @ 350 for 1/2 an hour. Cool on the counter then store in ziplock bag in the fridge for up to 10 days.

Guohen-thanks for the tip. I know it gets tough in the field without enough food, Ft. Benning taught me that. I can eat a little in the chow line so I'll start doing that.

Becca, I can't believe I didn't think of the celery and PB! Thanks. I'd like to try the recipe but for the next few months I'm not allowed to go off base to anyone's house I'm in training with(Army policy) but I'll give it a shot when I'm done here and headed to my next training post. The problem is we're all stuck in the barracks with no cooking facilities and the higher ranked soldiers we train with who might have a house or access to a kitchen aren't allowed to "fraternize" with us outside of the classroom. At least Tuna comes in can.

Thanks guys

Any other tips?

-ZC
    "Whole body become secret weapon." -Uncle explaining the benefits of Kung Fu.

"The thorn *****s only those who would harm the rose."

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Myoplex comes in ready to drink containers-with about 40 grams of protien. You can also buy whey protien (designer protien) and mix it in milk.

From the reading I've done peanuts are one of the most heavily pesticided crops out there. I recommend organic peanut butter or another kind of nut butter. There's also a product a personal trainer recommended called Simply Egg Whites (I think)- its egg whites in a little carton, u can blend it with skim milk, banana, +whatever else you like

If you have a microwave you can cook quite a bit of food like eggs as people mentioned.

I don't see cotton seed oil listed in the ingrediants of my peanut butter. And just because they didn't always monator things closely 25+ years ago doesn't meen they are that lax now. For starters, science has come a long way since then. Also, not all cancers are caused by known carcinogens, and smoking does not cause all kinds of cancer. Saying that eating peanut butter will cause someone to die from cancer is like saying if you bathe more than once a week you will die of a cold.

Thumbs up

Guohuen,sorry.

Smoking has been linked to many a cancer,liver included.
    Not directly related,but.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Good old Phase III restrictions ... no fraternization, no movies, no off-base.

Follow guohuen's advice on the chow line and always take a bit of fruit/cereal with you.

After AIT you'll have a slightly easier time of it. At permanent duty stations you'll have more privileges in your barracks & there will most likely be a full kitchen in the building. If you're stationed overseas, the PX/commissary carries a pretty good stock & will special-order anything you ask for.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

Yogurt (plain) add fruit as you will.

Fat-free Cottage Cheese: Mix with protein shakes or fruit for flavor.

Fruits

Organic Peanuts/Peanut Butter

Milk

Oatmeal if you can have a microwave or if the faucet temperature gets hot enough to sufficient heat the water...

Guohen- sorry about your friend. There is a book that everyone should read called 'Diet for a Poisoned Planet." It discusses all different kinds of conventional/non-organic foods, from produce to meats, in the United States and how safe they are in regards to pesticides, antibiotics, etc... Each category is broken down into red, green, and yellow lights as far as safety. Its probably available through your local library.

Just a word on eggs. Egg white is the source of great protein and there is fat in the yolk. A lot of people use this as an excuse to eat the whites and not the yolks. This is a mistake as the yolk contains the enzymes required to assimilate the protein in the white - you need the whole egg for the whole protein. If you're concerned about the fat levels, make an omelette with 4 whites and only one or two yolks and you should be right. Also, go for the free range eggs - battery eggs have all the hormones and antibiotics in them that are pumped into the chicken.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Will everybody please stop worrying about what you eat killing you and just start living. Sheesh.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Originally posted by Merryprankster
    Will everybody please stop worrying about what you eat killing you and just start living. Sheesh.
    Amen!!!

If you spend all your life worrying about getting something bad, you'd go hungry and never enjoy anything.

Yeah, worrying too much is pointless. So is not worrying at all.

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching