Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chen Chin Na

Mr. Wing posted: "Why would there be a need for a 196 form". Why is there a need for any form? Chen Wang-Ting developed it for his own reasons. Other than that there is no "need" for it or any other form.

As for the 196 form that LC refers to it is more often referred to as the Chen 108 or Longfist Form. And LC is right in that this form and the other 4 originally devised by CWT are not extinct, they are simply not yet readilly available outside Chen Village.

One of my teachers, Mao Fu Rong new all of the 5 original forms, and my present teacher is now learning the Chen 108 from Chen Yang Fu. He tells me that YCF will have a VCD available on this form later this year.

The Yang 88 San Shou form did not replace an older 2-person form. There is no tradition of 2-person forms in taiji other than the short push hand and da lu patterns.

Ron Panunto

Ron:

Could you post and let us know when the VCD will be available? It would really be greatly appreciated. Also do you know if Chen Zheng Lei's VCD is available on pole shaking?

Thanks.

Regards,

Bob
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

Sure Bob, I'll let you know when the Chen 108 Longfist VCD is available, and yes, Chen Zhenglei's VCD on the Chen 13 long pole form has been available now for about 6 months. I learned this form directly from CZL and the material shown on the VCD is identical to what he taught me.

Ron Panunto

Thanks, Ron.

I saw the long pole exercise/form on Herb Richie's site and in the last issue of the Internal Arts Magazine. In baji we don't have a long pole form---everything is single posture or moving. I think that form that Chen Zheng Lei taught is really impressive and worth learning as part of basic training. I am glad that it has come out.

Is it possible that Yang Lu Chan modified the Chen longfist form to create Yang taijiquan? Altough its not terribly important, I have seen about 32 movements of the Taizuquan longfist taught in Liu's family in the Hebei Province and it seems as feasible as any other theory of Yang's development (18 years in the Chen Village he surely must have been exposed to the longfist form and 5 short forms). In fact it might be easier to understand how Yang Lu Chan developed his personalization of taiji after the public (me included) has seen all 5 forms and the longfist form.

Anyway, I'll stop and look forward to seeing the VCD.

Later.
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

RAF, from what I have been able to gather the Yang 108 long form is pretty much a simplification of the Chen first routine (Lao jia). I wouldn't get hung up on the number of postures i.e., Chen only counts 72, because it depends on whether you count repetitions or how many postures you group together under one name.

I have seen the Chen 108 and Chang Tzu Tai Chuan and they do not resemble Yang's taiji. However, you can almost due a one to one comparison of the Yang long form and the first Chen routine. Give it a try. The similarities are more than the differences, and too much to be coincidence. As I said it is simplified and softened so the fajing movements like Buddah's Attendant Warrior Pounds the Mortar have been deleted along with the double jump kick and others have been modified, like Chen's Lazy About Tying Coat is Yang's Ward off, etc, but a good majority of the postures like Single Whip, Step back to Repulse Monkey, Fist under Elbow, and most of the kicks are still intact from the Chen first routine.

Ron

fwiw, thats Herb Rich, a nice guy as well as a great source of knowledge.
    The more one sweats in times of peace, the less one bleeds in times of war.

RAF,

Chen Yongfu released the VCD on the Chen 108 longfist form today. It is in instructional format. CYF also released other VCD's on the Chen small frame system.

They are all available from Jarek Szymanski. They have not been posted on his website yet but if you e-mail him he will provide a detailed description, cost and ordering info. His e-mail address is: yaleike@hotmail.com

Ron Panunto

Thanks Ron.

I still haven't given up on a trip to Beijing this summer and may purchase them at that time. I'll e-mail Jarek.

Later.

For anyone familiar with both Hsing I and Yang taiji, can the Yang style's single-whip be accurately viewed as using heng-chuan (earth fist) energy?

The basic heng chuan's circle (or more accurately in this case, spiral) is sort of like moving the arms in a cone, with the front hand acting as the strike and the rear hand as the defense, hooking and deflecting blows.

Also, how does Yang and Chen's single whip compare in application? Are they one and the same? The forms look noticeably different, though the relationship is obvious.

Muppet,

I would not have too much of a problem equating xingyi's heng chuan with taiji's single whip.

Single whip is typically used by combing several of taiji 13 basic jins: first ward-off to make contact with the incoming punch, then roll-back to let the punch slide by your face, then step forward into the opponents space to deliver a shulder stoke to unbalance him and then finally split to atack by bending him backwards over your thigh. Yang and Chen are similar in application, and similar in the jins used in that Yang came from Chen. Sometimes Yang will use a more "linear" force where Chen will use a more complex "spiral" force.

Heng chuan is crossing fist which is equivalent to splitting in taiji. The application could be similar, i.e., intercept and deflect the punch with the right hand, step into the opponents space and the cross (or split) with the left hand and bend him backwards over your thigh.

Of course, there are lots of applications for both single whip and heng chuan, but you can see the similarities in this particular application against a right cross. Most martial arts all use the same energies, they are just categorized differently.

Ron Panunto

Find out more in our FALL 2019 issue

Chen Taijiquan Qinna
    Discerning Principles for Practical Learning
    By Emilio Alpanseque

FALL 2019
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart