Thread: Richie Barathy " The Wizard Of Amderican Conbat Karate"

Richie Barathy " The Wizard Of Amderican Conbat Karate"

I first saw Richie Barathy on a TV show in the 1980s demonstrating various breaking techniques. The most spectacular was when he broke 15 1 1/4 inch granite slabs with a single stroke of his fist.

Most recently I again became interested in him when I learned that he was initially inspired by Earle Liederman who was a well known authority in instructing Jiu Jitsu and wrestling in addition to bodybuilding and weight lifting.

Barathy ran a gym in the New York area where he trained many martial artists in his specialty of American Combat Karate. He was also well known as a trainer of athletes during the 1980s in cluding Freeman McNeal and Mark Gastineau of the New York Jets and Heavyweight boxing contender Gerry Cooney. He developed a system that he referred to as " Mind Body Weight Training" which was concerned more with the mind than the body. The system used relatively light weights to develop power, movement and control. It emphasized strict control by the mind over the body during the exercises. His favorite type of equipment to achieve the desired training results was pulley weights of the type you would find on a universal gym.

In many ways his training philosophy reminds me of Maxick's "Muscle Control" or or Lionel Strongfort's light dumbell routines.

His training techiniques are outlined in a book "The Body You Want" by Mark Gastineau and George Goldsmith. It is out of print,but obtainable through various used book sellers.

Apparently Richie Barathy died about 10 years ago of a debilitating disease,but his contribution lives on in continuing programs that have adapted his techniques.

I remember Richie when he was at Rab's gym out on the Island. Rab's was a psycho hard core gym and Richie fit in there perfectly.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

From what I have heard about Barathy is that he sounded like a very interesting person and with interesting viewpoints.
    Regards

A real original thinker

He sounds like a real innovator to me! Who can even think ot breaking 15 slates of that type.?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I had the opportunity of studying briefly with Kyoshi Barathy. He was a scientist-meaning, that when he taught a technique, he would say, "I know this works, because I spent hours trying to defend against it from my Black Belts" He was able to strip a technique down to the exact details of movement that make it work. He also had the ability to take a student, and immediately find their weak points, and then develop them. He was a gifted martial artist and teacher. Funny thing-what he taught his students, and what he himslf did were two different things. He taught pretty straight up kick,grab, punch hardcore Karate-similar to Kyokushin-kai-but he did alot of Kung-Fu when he sparred his Black Belts! I only wish I trained with him longer. But ...he DID show me how to more than double the speed and power of my spinning back kick! ...in only five minutes!-he will be missed.

TenTigers, wasn't his school by Sam Ash and the Tally Ho diner on 110? Lordy it's been a loooooooonnnnnnngggg time since I thought about either Rabs or Barathy. Do you remember the tatoos that those guys used to have?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Barathy training methods

Does anyone know where I can obtain additional information on Richie Barathy and his training methods?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    yes, that's the place. He also taught out of my school-but just for a few private students. Also, for a short time, he was teaching out of Buttle's Health club. The tattoos are of two dragons, which he got from Peter Urban's book. Urban told the story of the Shaolin Temple, but mistakenly said the brands were dragons, rather than a dragon and a tiger-also a myth. Barathy studied with Frank Ruiz-founder of Nisei-goju, who studied under Urban-who founded USA Goju(who studied from Gogen Yamaguchi-who founded Japanese Goju-kai, and I believe He studied with Chojun Miyagi, who founded Okinawan Goju-ryu-who studied under Higashionna-who studied Fukien White Crane from Ryu-Ryu Ko)
    anyway, Barathy also studied with Howard Taige (SP?)who created Tai-Zen Jiu-Jutsu.It was Taige's methods Barathy used for power development. He studied with Ted Rossi, who taught Hakko-Ryu-Rossi is responsible for many of the jiu-jutsu practitioners on Long Island-Bob Malvagno, Robert Hanson, etc

Isn't it great when you hear about people that are the real deal!

Sounds like quite a guy
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Richie got the tats after burning his forearms during a breaking demo, his students then got them. Ten Tigers, where did Rossi have his school? I studied Hakkoryu in Deer Park under Steve Isaacs(sp? been a long time).

DM